YACT: I got my new car!! Scion xA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
It pisses me off when someone buys a weak car for too much money then says "It's not for racing"... Well no sh!t, but there's alot more to driving a car than racing and a-to-b. Then again, non enthusiasts should have underpowered cars.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
How do you pronounce the name? Skion?

Sky - on

Are you serious? They're not pronouncing it like the English word Scion (sigh-in)? Even "sigh-on" would be OK, but "sky-on"?!? That sounds ridiculous!

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I thought it was "Scee-on", with a "CEE" instead of a "k" sound from the C.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BigSmooth

Sky - on

Are you serious? They're not pronouncing it like the English word Scion (sigh-in)? Even "sigh-on" would be OK, but "sky-on"?!? That sounds ridiculous!

I was just guessing... Here's the official response:
The pronunciation is "cy-on"; like "Sci" in Science with "on" at the end; "sigh" with "on".

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Sky - on

The pronunciation is "cy-on"; like "Sci" in Science with "on" at the end; "sigh" with "on".
Ahh.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000

Sky - on

"Just guessing", eh? That's really living up to your "Ace Reporter" title. ;) j/k

I'm glad it's not "sky-on", that would make no sense.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Looks pretty good in that color. I've seen one that's purple and the word hideous is just not strong enough. The 108hp really turns me off thought. That and Toyota ad campaigns drive me up the wall.

PCMarine

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
Congrats on the new car... even though it looks like a mini combined with an Murano (especially the rear tail lights).

I agree with the others, seems like too much money for too little car (although some of those options are nice).

LoqT

Feb 19, 2001
First of all, CONGRATS!!!

Second of all, $17,400 for the Scion Xa????????????????????????? I hope that's Canadian dollars!!!:Q

I mean, I love Toyota and all, but for a car that underpowered, that seems like WAY too much money. Those cars are a great value for the money at their base price, but for close to 18 G's, that's getting into the "big leagues" in the small car category. For that same money, you could have had 160HP in this car:

Mazda 3s 5-door

Well the base before taxes, licensing and warranty was 15,200 with all my options. Taxes are a biatch, and extended warranty was 1300.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
First of all, CONGRATS!!!

Second of all, $17,400 for the Scion Xa????????????????????????? I hope that's Canadian dollars!!!:Q

I mean, I love Toyota and all, but for a car that underpowered, that seems like WAY too much money. Those cars are a great value for the money at their base price, but for close to 18 G's, that's getting into the "big leagues" in the small car category. For that same money, you could have had 160HP in this car:

Mazda 3s 5-door

Taxes suck in CA.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Just wondering aobut the size of this thing.

Is it sized similar to say a PT Cruiser? Smaller?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: LoqT
Just got my new car, and put some new wheels on it. It's a Scion xA, and I freakin love it. I know some of you speed demons will look at it and laugh at it's puny 4 banger engine, but I didn't buy it to race. Only has 108 horsies, but it's light, and the gearing makes it speedier than a corolla/matrix base models from a stop..... freeway acceleration isn't like my old Avalon XLS, but that's to be expected. Typical of a 4 banger. Gas mileage is sweet though, 32 city 38 highway..... so it's a gas sipper. Oh and insurance on it is tons cheaper then my old Avalon XLS too......

Anyhow I just got done giving it the Zaino treatment so its all smooth and uber shiny.

LINKY TO THE PIC linky

PIC 2 LINKY

ZAINOED! LINKY

My only criticism of the car is the fact that the instrumentation pod is not directly in front of the driver. I hope this does not become stylish.

The car's power, 108 hp, does not bother me. I am sure it can comfortably cruise at 75 to 80 mph which is fast enough for most people.

LoqT

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Sluggo
Just wondering aobut the size of this thing.

Is it sized similar to say a PT Cruiser? Smaller?

Its smaller than a PT Cruiser. It looks pretty small from the outside, but it is actually pretty roomy once you are in even for the rear passengers. There isn't much cargo room for more then about 10 grocery bags, but the seats fold down in a 60/40 split.

LoqT

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth
Originally posted by: LoqT
Just got my new car, and put some new wheels on it. It's a Scion xA, and I freakin love it. I know some of you speed demons will look at it and laugh at it's puny 4 banger engine, but I didn't buy it to race. Only has 108 horsies, but it's light, and the gearing makes it speedier than a corolla/matrix base models from a stop..... freeway acceleration isn't like my old Avalon XLS, but that's to be expected. Typical of a 4 banger. Gas mileage is sweet though, 32 city 38 highway..... so it's a gas sipper. Oh and insurance on it is tons cheaper then my old Avalon XLS too......

Anyhow I just got done giving it the Zaino treatment so its all smooth and uber shiny.

LINKY TO THE PIC linky

PIC 2 LINKY

ZAINOED! LINKY

My only criticism of the car is the fact that the instrumentation pod is not directly in front of the driver. I hope this does not become stylish.

The car's power, 108 hp, does not bother me. I am sure it can comfortably cruise at 75 to 80 mph which is fast enough for most people.

Actually that was my gripe at first and I really found it annoying at first, but like anything you get used to it over time, and I'm used to it now. I think it does have its advantages since you can see more of the road in front of you. It does cruise nicely to 75-80, and you'd be surprised at how well it gets there considering its only 108 hp..... though take into consideration this thing weighs a little over 2300 lbs, so there isn't too much weight to haul around.