YACT: HOLY M!#@$!@# SHI#!$- Need serious advice.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
I hope they are "fair" :). My brakes have been squealing and all the supports for my muffler have been gone for a while. I bungeed it up for a while, but the heat melted them and now I guess its time to get it fixed for real.

They said an estimate would be $25 if I didn't have anything done, and they will be calling me and let me know how much it will be.

What would you estimate new brakes on a 1991 cavalier would be? I figure all 4 need replaced since I have had the car for 3 years and never had them checked. The muffler clips shouldnt be too much unless my muffler is bad too.

I'm hoping to get through this under $200

***UPDATE***

They said Muffler has a whole in it, Exhaust pipe is welded to muffler so it needs replaced to. (Its the original muffler from 1991 according to him). The strap/hardware, etc for all of that. He said the catalytic converter is rusted and honeycombed, needs completely replaced. About $400 dollars

Brakes:

Front brakes pads, shims, hardware, rotors, two calipers, hoses, both brake lines on both sides going to back. Cylinders on both the back ones, new pads, etc, etc, etc $1000

Total estimate- $1,490.93

KBB value on my car as a tradein- $300
KBB private party value- $800

Guess Im getting a new car?
Are these guys trying to F me over? (Yes, I think the car is really in that bad of shape)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
They're probably trying to give you a huge sausage in the bum with the brakes. What is "Hardware"? Why do you need new hoses, brake lines, and calipers? I bet you don't. New rotors and pads baby! Shims I doubt you need either, but they're damn cheap if I'm thinking of the right thing.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
under $200? You couldnt buy the parts and do it yourself for that amount.
It sounds like about right on the estimate. If anythign possibly cheap!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
BTW my sentra had front disc brakes replaced last year at $230 incl labor and high quality rotors/pads. The rear were drum. Definitely less than $500 for an entire set of 4 done by a mechanic on a car like yours. $1000 is ass-happy.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
They're probably trying to give you a huge sausage in the bum with the brakes. What is "Hardware"? Why do you need new hoses, brake lines, and calipers? I bet you don't. New rotors and pads baby! Shims I doubt you need either, but they're damn cheap if I'm thinking of the right thing.

Im guessing by his description and "tone" that the car wasn't taken too-well-of-care for... so likely the calipers etc do need to be repalced... maybe "need" is a strong word... "should" may fit better.

Skoorb you and I have been running into eachother a lot today. Slow day at the office?

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001

the hoses are cracked, brake lines are rusted out (one blew about a year ago and was replaced, but is leaking), he said the calipers arent even retracting on the front so i have no front brakes.

There were a bunch of other things they mentioned to. I will take this to another place (if they put it back together and the brakes still work)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: dxkj

the hoses are cracked, brake lines are rusted out (one blew about a year ago and was replaced, but is leaking), he said the calipers arent even retracting on the front so i have no front brakes.

There were a bunch of other things they mentioned to. I will take this to another place (if they put it back together and the brakes still work)
Ouch, well if they do need replacing I see how the price could edge up closer to the $1k mark :(

Salt on the roads is hell on a car, isn't it?

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Homerboy
(mental note push button once)

I got the car used from my mother who got it used from a used car dealership. She didnt do much maintenance, and It has had a lot of problems so I never put a ton of money into it, just trying to keep it alive. This is the first major expense, and I'm wondering a bit...

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001

Ouch, well if they do need replacing I see how the price could edge up closer to the $1k mark :(

yup, and thats all that this car has been driven on. Horrible lake effect snow in both places I drove it.

Oh, and this is in the suburbs of chicago right now. Overcharging for everything is key. Rent in most half-decent apartments is 800+ for a 1BR. If I had tools/garage/friends I would try doing the key parts myself to save a lot, but that really isnt an option :(

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
I'm laughing my ass off about that muffler. Every shop I have EVER been to hacks off the muffler with a saw and mounts the new one. Its too much of a PITA to try getting bolts off a muffler that have been heated for the last 13 years. Second, a catalytic converter is supposed to have a honeycomb "web" of ceramic material in it.

As for the brake work, go to Autozone, buy a haynes manual and do them yourself. It is not difficult, just make sure you are thorough and everything will be fine.

Narse

Moderator<br>Computer Help
Mar 14, 2000
Time for a new car, I wouldn't put 1400.00 into a $800.00 car

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
I'm laughing my ass off about that muffler. Every shop I have EVER been to hacks off the muffler with a saw and mounts the new one. Its too much of a PITA to try getting bolts off a muffler that have been heated for the last 13 years. Second, a catalytic converter is supposed to have a honeycomb "web" of ceramic material in it.

As for the brake work, go to Autozone, buy a haynes manual and do them yourself. It is not difficult, just make sure you are thorough and everything will be fine.

Where should I work on my brakes? The apt complex parking lot? What tools will I need? Right now I have 0 :)

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002

yup, and thats all that this car has been driven on. Horrible lake effect snow in both places I drove it.

Oh, and this is in the suburbs of chicago right now. Overcharging for everything is key. Rent in most half-decent apartments is 800+ for a 1BR. If I had tools/garage/friends I would try doing the key parts myself to save a lot, but that really isnt an option :(

Time for a new car bud.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: bR
i bet the labor is more than half of that... :Q

Yeah, I wouldnt be suprised. If I were back in PA I could just use my dad's garage/tools and have him help me :).

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

He needs calipers, brake lines, pads and rotors. I'd say this is not a job for someone who has never worked on a car before (sounds like it anyway from the original post).

How many miles do you have on it? Probably not worth fixing it at this point.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

He needs calipers, brake lines, pads and rotors. I'd say this is not a job for someone who has never worked on a car before (sounds like it anyway from the original post).

76k.

Working on it myself would be parts +tools + a place to work on it. I can change oil, change tires, and do some other beginner things but I havent had any direct experience with anything more complicated.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
The brake part looks wrong, the other part looks about right.

Why'd you go to somewhere that charges for an Estimate? There's tons of places with free estimates around. If nothing else, go to a local Car X type place.

I've never had to replace the hoses and lines for brakes so I'm not sure what's up with that. You can do the brakes yourself (find a friend that knows cars) for under $200 or so. But $1k, no way I'd pay that. I'd find a new mechanic place.

EDIT: Now tha tyou have the first estimate, call around. You can call up any place and say "I got this estimate that seems high, can you tell me how much you'd charge for this work". Then read off to them what the place told you (Minus the Prices) and see what they say.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Just because they say there are problems doesn't mean they really exist. From the sounds of it, I'd say they are going in him pretty deep without any lube.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

Where should I work on my brakes? The apt complex parking lot? What tools will I need? Right now I have 0 :)

Do you know anyone with a garage and tools? There has to be somebody local to you that you can bribe with a case of beer.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001

Do you know anyone with a garage and tools? There has to be somebody local to you that you can bribe with a case of beer.

All my friends in this area are in college, and live on campus/in apartments like me.