YACT: HOLY M!#@$!@# SHI#!$- Need serious advice.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
I called another place (that I've gone to before) and they said it would be about $200 for new front brakes/rotors, but thats not counting calipers (if i really need them).

Basically I could buy all the hardware to do all of this for ~$200 but to get someone to do it for me (mechanic) would be around $500-750 (excluding the 1k mentioned above)

Now I need to decide if I should pay $200 for the front brakes/rotors and keep driving this, or trade in for something that won't kill me.

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
I've done many a car repair in apartment building parking lots. Replaced radiator, installed water pump, installed exhaust system, changed oil numerous times, done tune up (twice), fixed seat mounting, installed ignition coil, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. Brakes are not a terribly difficult job, and I bet that shop is feeding you a bunch of BS about the required repairs. Definitely take it to a few other places that offer free estimates, and don't tell them what the other shop told you it needed.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I had front brakes and calipers replaced on my 92 topaz (before it died, RIP), and it was around $800.