XKCD on Rock Band

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
I've never played this game but wouldn't hearing the same songs over and over get repetitive and annoying? :confused:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
I've never played this game but wouldn't hearing the same songs over and over get repetitive and annoying? :confused:

No, because your playing them. And for the most part the songs kick ass.

I got it for my girl and figured I'd never play it. It's all I play now. It really is that much fun.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: mobobuff
Most guys I know who play guitar in a band don't play Guitar Hero, and no, your cool factor is not increased by playing it, but yes I can see how it would be a fun game. For me, I get a bigger thrill out of learning to play and playing an actual guitar.

You're the first one to bring up cool factor. No one believes it increases your cool factor or e-penis or whatever. Only the haters bother pointing out that it doesn't make you cooler (who gives a shit?)

For people who already know how to play guitar, I can imagine playing the real instrument is already fun. For those of us who don't care to learn (or who don't have enough time to learn), playing the game is great.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: cheezy321
Is playing basketball on video games easier than its real counterpart?

Is playing football on video games easier than football in real life?

Is killing people in video games easier than its real counterpart?

Man, you are probably the smartest guy on this forum.

The last one is surprisingly easy. Apparently all you have to do is give them alcohol, drugs, cars, or even just free time and they do it themselves. And for babies, just a plastic bag will do nicely, or you can shake it like you're playing Mario Party for the Wii. It's getting away with it that is so damned hard.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: AkumaX
watch the South Park "Guitar Queer-o"

nails the issue right on the dot

Not really; South Park has always exaggerated everything for comedic effect. There's no one actually like that (and if there are, those people were always losers anyway; guitar hero didn't change that)

I don't see an issue with people having fun. It's a fake guitar, why should you care?

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Beev
Guitar Hero/Rock Band take significantly less time to master than their real counterparts. It's as simple as that.

Wow, what an insightful comment.

Now answer these brain busters for me:

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
Playing Half-Life 2 hasn't really enhanced my liberate-the-world-from-alien-oppression skills but I still love it.

How do you know, have you tried liberating the world from alien oppression?

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Phoenix86
Playing Half-Life 2 hasn't really enhanced my liberate-the-world-from-alien-oppression skills but I still love it.

I did last Saturday. I failed though :( I kept pressing the use key but the door wouldn't open.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Phoenix86

Why do you think we aren't being oppressed by aliens right now?

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Guitar Hero/Rock Band take significantly less time to master than their real counterparts. It's as simple as that.

#1 ... I don't know I'm miserable at both rl and video basketball
#2 ... Can I just watch it instead?
#3 ... About the same, but it is SOOO much more fun in rl. You don't understand how much fun. When they run it's the greatest chase ever. When they scream it's like sweet music, even better than in GH. And when they cry, OOOOOHHHHH when they cry! I get giddy like when I was 8 and it was 6am Christmas morning. The sweet smell of fresh blood and the taste of tears produced from intense fear..... I've never felt anything like it. It's incredible.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006

You don't have to be an asshole. I was just posting the reason why *I* play GH instead of learning to play a real guitar.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003

You don't have to be an asshole. I was just posting the reason why *I* play GH instead of learning to play a real guitar.

ohhhhhh, thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought you were saying that this is why guitar hero is sooo much worse than playing the real thing. I was just trying to point out the idiocy in that comment because its SUPPOSED TO BE EASIER than playing the real thing.

My bad