XKCD on Rock Band

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
yeah, the fun factor is all i care about, don't get the haters. i mean does anyone really think it makes them look cool?

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Most guys I know who play guitar in a band don't play Guitar Hero, and no, your cool factor is not increased by playing it, but yes I can see how it would be a fun game. For me, I get a bigger thrill out of learning to play and playing an actual guitar.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: mobobuff
Most guys I know who play guitar in a band don't play Guitar Hero, and no, your cool factor is not increased by playing it, but yes I can see how it would be a fun game. For me, I get a bigger thrill out of learning to play and playing an actual guitar.

I play guitar every day and I'm in a band and I think GH is fun.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Yeah, it doesn't make you cooler, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. If you do stuff just to be cool that means you're a douchebag. It's kind of funny that when actual bands play GH, the drummers do better than the guitarists pretty much every time. Even on that band's own songs.

badkarma1399

Feb 21, 2007

Yea same. I play real guitar, but I think if i were to play GH I would just feel guilty investing all the time playing a game rather than the real thing.

Still, I like GH and think its a lot of fun. I just hate when dumb people say its just like the real thing. Its a fun game sure, but its totally different.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006

Chill out.

I play both electric and GH. And I don't give two shits about being cooler. GH is still fun as hell, especially I turn it into rock mode and hear all the crowds clapping along.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Guitar Hero/Rock Band haters are tools. Playing Halo isn't like REALLY running around in Spartan armor shooting aliens, but it's still fun.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
Yeah, it doesn't make you cooler, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. If you do stuff just to be cool that means you're a douchebag. It's kind of funny that when actual bands play GH, the drummers do better than the guitarists pretty much every time. Even on that band's own songs.

That makes sense. On a guitar you can play thousands of different sounds, drums are a bit more restricted and deal a lot more with the beat (much like Guitar Hero, there are only so many button combinations on the controller). Not to say playing drums requires any less talent than playing a guitar, but I can see how a drummer would have more natural skill with the GH controller.

Originally posted by: E equals MC2

Chill out.

I play both electric and GH. And I don't give two shits about being cooler. GH is still fun as hell, especially I turn it into rock mode and hear all the crowds clapping along.
I was speaking in terms for the original point of the comic. YOU chill out ;).

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Guitar Hero/Rock Band take significantly less time to master than their real counterparts. It's as simple as that.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: mugs
Guitar Hero/Rock Band haters are tools. Playing Halo isn't like REALLY running around in Spartan armor shooting aliens, but it's still fun.
Yep I agree. If I feel like playing my electric guitar to some Bad Religion, I do that. If I feel like competing with my friend on some songs in Guitar Hero, I do that. To completely different things, both fun.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
i dont hate the game i just personally dont find it fun, so i dont play it, i dont care if others do, only thing that bothers me about RB and GH is that the people that do play it have to play it so as loud as their TV/stereo lets them

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Platypus

I play guitar every day and I'm in a band and I think GH is fun.

Mobo is the guy on the left.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001

I've played guitar for nearly 15 years, played in numerous bands, recorded albums in major studios, produced recordings by other bands, toured, etc.

Guitar Hero is seriously fun. You don't play it to be cool. You play it because it is seriously fun.

Edit: Didn't realize you were being sarcastic. But my point still stands. :)

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004

I was speaking in terms for the original point of the comic. YOU chill out ;).

I think you missed the point of the comic. The point of the comic is that people who say those things are tools, as evidenced by the line "stop having fun!"

I think you've underestimated my ability to draw conclusions from the point of a webcomic. I understood it completely and was (in my first post) arguing both sides. If you are at all offended, you have obviously chosen one of the sides (where I have not).

There are tools on both sides.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
that's practically the same comic that came out after guitar hero was first released. i think it was on penny arcade or something.

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Agreed.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: hdeck
that's practically the same comic that came out after guitar hero was first released. i think it was on penny arcade or something.

XKCD and Penny Arcade have a love/hate relationship.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Beev
Guitar Hero/Rock Band take significantly less time to master than their real counterparts. It's as simple as that.

Wow, what an insightful comment.

Now answer these brain busters for me:

Is playing basketball on video games easier than its real counterpart?

Is playing football on video games easier than football in real life?

Is killing people in video games easier than its real counterpart?

Man, you are probably the smartest guy on this forum.