XIM APEX - it's out and oh boy does it work

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Got mine this morning from the first release batch. Slightly upgraded version of the XIM4, and a bit cheaper too, with things like 1000Hz polling rate.

Watch out console kiddies, PixelSquish is on the PS4 Pro and he has a mouse and keyboard. Oy!

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Glad to hear a good review on it! Sounds like a beast!

What keyboard & mouse are you using with it?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Glad to hear a good review on it! Sounds like a beast!

What keyboard & mouse are you using with it?

Logitech G502 Mouse and a Corsair K70 Rapidfire keyboard.

BF1 is amazing with the XIM Apex, it's like playing on a PC practically. Destiny 2 is not as nice, due to how the developers programmed the look mechanics as per the Apex guys, but it's playable with some tweaks.

Reactions: Kaido

BW86

Lifer
Jul 20, 2004
Is it really like playing on the PC?

As a lifelong PC gamer, I tried the XIM4 on the PS4 with Overwatch and it was pretty bad to say the least. I played around with settings for 2 days before selling it. Have you used the XIM4 and can you compare it with the Apex?

Chacotako

Apr 29, 2001
What benefits does it have over the XIM4? Is it really worth upgrading if I already own the 4?

@BW86 It really is dependent upon the games' look mechanic. Unfortunately for OW, it's terrible. Although games like BF1 or CoD can feel really good.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Is it really like playing on the PC?

As a lifelong PC gamer, I tried the XIM4 on the PS4 with Overwatch and it was pretty bad to say the least. I played around with settings for 2 days before selling it. Have you used the XIM4 and can you compare it with the Apex?

Never had the XIM 4 so can't do taht sorry.

From being on the XIM forums a lot it seems that it is not the same with all games. Games that have poor look mechanics will not translate well to a M/KB using a XIM. R6S, Fortnite will be poor. COD, BF, Titanfall and others will be very very smooth. Overwatch is supposed to be ok according to the XIM creator. I dunno.

Last edited:

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
You convinced me in the other thread. Device ordered. Amazon has it for $125; https://www.amazon.com/Apex-Keyboar...=UTF8&qid=1520538337&sr=8-7&keywords=XIM+APEX Seems out of stock elsewhere, such as the mfg's site. I realize its a little above MSRP, but whatever.

Read up in the forums on the device, and BF1 seems to work perfectly.

People are funny though, complaining and making fun of people who use it;
Surely the whole point in a console is that you DON"T have to use a m/k like some kid from the 90's.
Wow so many cheaters in one thread

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You convinced me in the other thread. Device ordered. Amazon has it for $125; https://www.amazon.com/Apex-Keyboar...=UTF8&qid=1520538337&sr=8-7&keywords=XIM+APEX Seems out of stock elsewhere, such as the mfg's site. I realize its a little above MSRP, but whatever.

:) Yes people are amusing.

It does indeed work perfectly with BF1 and BF4, COD, Titanfall2 and other games. Depending upon the look mechanics it is simply not as great with other games like Destiny 2, which I have, although still playable for sure.

There are some aim assist settings in BF1 under the Gameplay>Advanced settings that I turned off (slowing down the aim cursor when moving over a target is one, when you zoom into ADS it will snap onto the nearest target is the 2nd one)

Are you going to be playing on PS4 or XB1?

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
:) Yes people are amusing.

It does indeed work perfectly with BF1 and BF4, COD, Titanfall2 and other games. Depending upon the look mechanics it is simply not as great with other games like Destiny 2, which I have, although still playable for sure.

There are some aim assist settings in BF1 under the Gameplay>Advanced settings that I turned off (slowing down the aim cursor when moving over a target is one, when you zoom into ADS it will snap onto the nearest target is the 2nd one)

Are you going to be playing on PS4 or XB1?

BF1 is the main game I would play with it. Thanks for the heads up about the settings. I have looked on BF1's forums too, looking good. I'll be on the PS4.

Do you have the keyboard and mouse plugged into the hub independently? Like I said I have an old Razer kb here, and a mouse. I was looking for just a lap pad to use a mouse and kb and I came across this; https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KUL7WH...colid=EFZ9N62GG4YG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I would like to plug the mouse into the kb and have it work. Seems like it would... but can't find any real truth yet. I would be using this on the couch unless I bought a 3rd PS4. We have one in the bonus room, and one in my oldest son's room. I could put another in my computer room and use my existing setup, but would rather use it in the bonus room so I am not so isolated. My wife likes to "game" with me, helping me with puzzles and stuff. We completed Drake's and several other adventure games together.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
BF1 is the main game I would play with it. Thanks for the heads up about the settings. I have looked on BF1's forums too, looking good. I'll be on the PS4.

Do you have the keyboard and mouse plugged into the hub independently? Like I said I have an old Razer kb here, and a mouse. I was looking for just a lap pad to use a mouse and kb and I came across this; https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KUL7WH...colid=EFZ9N62GG4YG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I would like to plug the mouse into the kb and have it work. Seems like it would... but can't find any real truth yet. I would be using this on the couch unless I bought a 3rd PS4. We have one in the bonus room, and one in my oldest son's room. I could put another in my computer room and use my existing setup, but would rather use it in the bonus room so I am not so isolated. My wife likes to "game" with me, helping me with puzzles and stuff. We completed Drake's and several other adventure games together.

I think that would work. I plug my mouse and keyboard into a usb switch and then just plug that into the XIM hub and it works just fine. I feel like I did see people post about running their mouse through their kb and it working but I can't be 100%. I would post that in the APEX discussion forums to be sure but I think so.

I've seen some couch setups on that forum that look way more comfy than a lapboard but definitely more involved.

I've read that Razer keyboards that are all lit up may draw more juice than the hub can provide, but all you need to solve that is powering the XIM hub. It has a standard socket for power adapter to go in it. Or you can use any powered usb hub really, the XIM one is nothing special, it just looks nice. You'll know if the hub needs power if things no worky. The hub works fine with my setup and I am lit up like a christmas tree.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Sweet, thanks. I get mine tomorrow. Yeah... I saw some elaborate setups for a couch. Making it to where it's basically a desk. I don't really want that, more importantly, my wife doesn't want that. Wires across the floor isn't really good either since our youngest will be running around. Guess we'll see how that goes.

I've thought about getting another PS4 and putting it in the computer room to share my current hardware, but that's be 3 and seems a little excessive. Trying to keep in the bonus room so I'm not so separated when gaming. I'm pretty excited though.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010

Isn't it actually kind of cheating though if you use it in an online FPS where everyone else has to use a controller?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Isn't it actually kind of cheating though if you use it in an online FPS where everyone else has to use a controller?

I think Sony is pretty open in that they support mouse and keyboard, although not very well, and they also sell devices to work with the PS4 that are keyboard-like for the left hand. So technically you are not cheating IMO with a PS4. Xbox gets trickier on an ethical slippery slope.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003

No. Do you think everyone uses a standard controller? There are many variations over the decades of controllers. Some make it where you can hold down a button and it auto repeats. You can set up macros. There are variations of button placements. There are many different controllers out there.

Do you think that using a headset is cheating compared to someone who isn't? You can hear around you better using one. Do you think its cheating to play with 3 other friends in BF1 playing as a FT? One ammo guy, and two medics so you rarely die or run out of ammo, working as a team to do better than someone playing by themselves? Do you think that gaming on a big 1080p or 4K TV is cheating compared to someone using a 27" 720p TV? Do you think its cheating using a 1gb internet line compared to someone using sat internet with a terrible upload so you have a bad ping with packet loss? There are many, many variables. And if everyone can have these options, it is not cheating. If someone doesn't like it, they can buy this product.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I think Sony is pretty open in that they support mouse and keyboard, although not very well, and they also sell devices to work with the PS4 that are keyboard-like for the left hand. So technically you are not cheating IMO with a PS4. Xbox gets trickier on an ethical slippery slope.

Thanks for the honest answer, I did not know that the PS4 officially supports keyboard and mouse -- in that case I would agree that it's at least arguably legitimate on that platform.

No. Do you think everyone uses a standard controller? There are many variations over the decades of controllers. Some make it where you can hold down a button and it auto repeats. You can set up macros. There are variations of button placements. There are many different controllers out there.

Do you think that using a headset is cheating compared to someone who isn't? You can hear around you better using one. Do you think its cheating to play with 3 other friends in BF1 playing as a FT? One ammo guy, and two medics so you rarely die or run out of ammo, working as a team to do better than someone playing by themselves? Do you think that gaming on a big 1080p or 4K TV is cheating compared to someone using a 27" 720p TV? Do you think its cheating using a 1gb internet line compared to someone using sat internet with a terrible upload so you have a bad ping with packet loss? There are many, many variables. And if everyone can have these options, it is not cheating. If someone doesn't like it, they can buy this product.

On the other hand, none of this is remotely comparable and there are massive failures of logic here. Everyone has the option of paying for wall hacks and aimbots -- I guess that's not cheating either. The average person can be perfectly competitive with the bare minimum cheapest 32" TV, crappy DSL internet connection (satellite obviously doesn't meet the manufacturer stated requirements for online play, so there was no point bringing it up), and standard console package until you introduce some players to the game with a $120 pay for a massive advantage product.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
It's a perfectly fine rebuttal of your claimed problem. People can pay more for a variety of things to make gaming either more enjoyable or help them be better. As I mentioned, people have been buying 3rd party controllers for decades that do more than the original ones. People have used steering wheels for racing, arcade sticks for fighting. Controllers that auto repeat a button for you, use a macro, etc. This is the same thing, another controller. Do you think aimbots break the user agreement? It is cheating. Using a keyboard and mouse does not break any such user agreement. To use your alleged argument against yourself, the average person would still be competitive.with a gamepad. Don't like it? Then buy one yourself, or stop crying. Either way, feel free to stop thread crapping and move on.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
It's a perfectly fine rebuttal of your claimed problem. People can pay more for a variety of things to make gaming either more enjoyable or help them be better. As I mentioned, people have been buying 3rd party controllers for decades that do more than the original ones. People have used steering wheels for racing, arcade sticks for fighting. Controllers that auto repeat a button for you, use a macro, etc. This is the same thing, another controller. Do you think aimbots break the user agreement? It is cheating. Using a keyboard and mouse does not break any such user agreement. To use your alleged argument against yourself, the average person would still be competitive.with a gamepad. Don't like it? Then buy one yourself, or stop crying. Either way, feel free to stop thread crapping and move on.

LOL, no one is thread crapping, it's a legitimate discussion and I just found it amusing that you immediately dismissed the posts on the forum without thinking twice. The OP managed to acknowledge and see both sides of it, but you are clearly just extra sensitive about the fact that you are paying for an advantage or you wouldn't have turned so aggressive. Either way, I play online shooters on PC only so have nothing to cry about :) Have fun headshotting those console noobs.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Any device that is banned in tournament play I personally would consider "cheating". If XIM's are banned in tournaments, which I wouldn't be surprised if they are, would make me consider it "cheating" in the sense that it's giving a clear advantage. These controllers you keep talking about with macros and stuff are banned and using them is considered cheating.

With joysticks in fighting games there are things that are considered cheating, like if you wire up macros or 2 buttons to the same input, things like that. Using a joystick in a fighting game does not give any type of distinct advantage by any means. It's simply personal preference. Most of the new school kids who are winning tournaments and are of the younger generation don't even use joysticks, they use pads because they didn't grow up with arcades. Go look up Knuckle Du or Punk. They play SF5 with PS4 pads and are top SF5 players in the world. Go look at how Sonic Fox plays Mortal Kombat and he's the #1 player in the world. He uses a PS4 pad.

Comparing a joystick to kb/m is a pretty stupid comparison and is apples to oranges. But all that said, if you're just a casual player, who gives a shit lol.

And LOL @ comparing headphones to XIM.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Some game developers have stated they will find ways to ban m/kb translators from games (I think Blizzard is one if I remember right), or some have suggested directing m/kb players to their own servers. I have no idea if they can tell about the XIM because it acts like a controller. According to the XIM guys their is no way they can tell a XIM is in the mix. I read a developer say a few lines of code would fix that problem, but nobody's done it yet.

Sony seems to be more liberal with their desire to control m/kb'ers. They actually have listed as a link through the playstation.com website to get this product which is like a 1/4 keyboard and mouse: https://goo.gl/rqmMN3

I haven't read much about Microsoft since I was switching to the PS4 platform.

I don't think you can use any sort of translator in competitive play and I respect that. Even if I was invited into a BF1 tournament online where they couldn't tell I was using a XIM I'd feel bad doing it, but to just putz around in pubs I don't care. I just plan to use it for casual FPS gaming by myself and possibly with a friend or two, no macros, and to play co-op games with my fiance like Destiny 2 and then Far Cry 5 when it comes out, plus future games. Destiny 2 doesn't even translate well with the XIM but it was so much fun finally playing a game with my girl that it was all worth it.

The other reason I decided to make the switch to console, for now, are GC prices. I'm simply not paying the prices out there to get a near TOTL card to play games like Far Cry 5 at high settings. I bought a PS4 Pro plus a XIM for half as much as just a 1080 would have cost me. I'll deal with the lesser graphics.

I do turn off any and all aim-assist settings in-game, if available to do so, before using the XIM in it.

It's an interesting discussion though.

Last edited:
Reactions: repoman0

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Thanks for the honest answer, I did not know that the PS4 officially supports keyboard and mouse -- in that case I would agree that it's at least arguably legitimate on that platform.

On the PS4 the support you're thinking isn't what they support. You can't just plug in a keyboard and mouse and it'll work fine in games. That's why you have to get things like this this XIM. You're going to destroy people with a keyboard/mouse combo compared to a controller.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
On the PS4 the support you're thinking isn't what they support. You can't just plug in a keyboard and mouse and it'll work fine in games. That's why you have to get things like this this XIM. You're going to destroy people with a keyboard/mouse combo compared to a controller.

I should have been clearer, what I meant was they support devices like this http://stores.horiusa.com/tactical-...ories-hori-tac-pro-three-column-01-us-13apr17 that act like a keyboard and mouse.

That item is linked directly from the official Sony playstation.com website

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Sony does allow direct KB/M control on the PS4. However the game devs have to actually implement it, and hardly any games have done it, let alone it being useful. I don't think they would ever do it natively for FPS or any kind of competitive game because it simply wouldn't be fair. Or they would have to fracture the userbase and make it so you can pick if you want to play against different control schemes.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Sony does allow direct KB/M control on the PS4. However the game devs have to actually implement it, and hardly any games have done it, let alone it being useful. I don't think they would ever do it natively for FPS or any kind of competitive game because it simply wouldn't be fair. Or they would have to fracture the userbase and make it so you can pick if you want to play against different control schemes.

A friend of mine is playing Final Fantasy XIV on the PS4, and he was complaining to me about how bad the keyboard and mouse is on it. At first, we were curious if it was a transmission issue, but even using a wired mouse didn't stop the input lag. I did some research into it, and apparently, the only way to stop it is to reduce the graphics settings, but then the game looks bad. :p

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Ignoring the ignorant, incorrect and clueless trolling poster and moving on.

I received the XIM Apex, and it does indeed work great. It took about 10 minutes to set up to get working, and about 10 more to make sure all the keys are programmed correctly. The app is very easy to use, and you simply hit a button, say X within the app and then it will say "listening". Hitting a button on the keyboard maps the button from the controller, to the keyboard. I did not find any button that would not work. One nice feature is that you can set a different sensitivity to the general mouse movement, and a different one for when you are zoomed in. Normally lowering the sensitivity is better when at 3x zoom rather than having it faster. I am using an older Razer keyboard, and a budget MSI mouse I got with a motherboard I ordered. Buttons on the mouse worked fine too, I did not encounter any problems with it. Its not too crazy of a mouse, two side thumb buttons, one under the wheel, and the two standard buttons up top. Zero issues. Fine tuning what you want the mouse sensitivity probably took me the longest. Much like a steering wheel for racing, or an arcade stick for a fighting game, this feels far more natural to me. Its not different than another 3rd party controller. I detest playing a FPS with a gamepad, now I don't have to. I have only tried BF1, and Battlefront II so far. Overwatch is next, other people claim it works well too. I have all three of those games on PC and console, it would be very nice if I could either link the accounts, or log into each with the same user/pw. Yet they won't let us. I have contacted EA regarding it after reading online that people have gotten it to work, support claimed it was not possible. I'll try again and see what the next guy says. There is no way to log out of BF1 on the PS4 and try another login, which is annoying. I uninstalled, reinstalled, I was already logged in. When I bought it I tried my PC login details, didn't work. But now I can rejoin the guys from work and play on the PS4 and not feel like I am soaked in molasses trying to control the game. I also have all auto aims off.

I just ordered this and will be here Saturday;
Image_16S.jpg

Image_05S.jpg

Reviews were great, beating out the Corsair and Razer model by most accounts. I have been wanting a newer Razer mouse for my PC, so Ill just transfer my Razer Mamba TE to the PS4. Thanks to PixelSquish for the heads up on this. I had been waiting for the release, and it slipped my mind.