Question XFX RX 580 8GB apparently died from VR

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 27, 2020
My RX 580 was previously stress tested with Unigine Superposition and passed it just fine. After that, I was busy so didn't get to run any game on it. Yesterday, I decided to setup the PIMAX P2 VR headset attached to the HDMI port of the RX 580. Pi Tools setup went fine and I saw in VR that I was standing on some rocky ledge and there were huge planets on opposite sides in the sky.

After confirming that the headset was working, I opened the new Edge Chrome browser to look up how to setup the NOLO VR controllers. At that point, the monitor screen went black and the RX 580 fans started blowing like crazy at full speed. I waited a few seconds for them to get back to normal but they didn't. System was unresponsive so booted it. Despite booting, the fans kept blowing at the same rate. Again, no output on the monitor. This time, I turned off the PC at the mains. Connected the monitor to the integrated Intel HD graphics and Windows came back. Checked device manager and there is no RX 580 under Display Adapters anymore. Scanned for hardware changes but no luck in detecting the 3D card. Any idea what could have happened? The card is no longer under warranty. Time to chop it up into a bazillion pieces or does anyone have an idea on how to bring it back to life?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Ah. So pulling too much power is definitely an AMD issue then. Damn. Makes me wary of trying to use the card in my Z97 mobo since it definitely seems to be a downgrade in terms of build quality compared to my "PCIe bus fried" Z77 mobo.

Z77: https://www.anandtech.com/show/6108...eview-functionality-meets-competitive-pricing

Z97: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/G1Sniper-Z6-rev-10

Well, just booting tot he desktop wont hurt anything, even if the bios is modified. It would be gaming with it that would bring up any issues. BUT, if you can get it to boot into windows, you can then reflash the BIOS.

And, the power draw issue was fixed after like, 2-3 weeks from launch, and only impacted reference cards.

Reactions: Leeea
Jul 27, 2020
After reading about a lot of users who burned/damaged their PCIe x16 slots from using RX 480/580 cards, decided to ditch the cursed card and sold it at a computer pawn shop for $65. Good riddance. Wasn't gonna let it mess up my Z97 mobo too.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
After reading about a lot of users who burned/damaged their PCIe x16 slots from using RX 480/580 cards
If you search for anything on the internet, you will find a horror show. Not because the product is bad, simply the internet gives the wrong perspective by default.

ex: z97 is just fine, but not according to the internet:
"z97 thermal issues":

"z97 boot problem":

The internet always gives you what it thinks you want to hear. A constant Yes man, and thereby it is stupidly evil as it will reinforce any pre-held belief, no matter how insane:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
After reading about a lot of users who burned/damaged their PCIe x16 slots from using RX 480/580 cards, decided to ditch the cursed card and sold it at a computer pawn shop for $65. Good riddance. Wasn't gonna let it mess up my Z97 mobo too.

Not that it matters anymore, but the issue only effected day one reference cards that had never had their bios updated. Obviously miner cards that were modded to pull extra power from the PCI-E port is a different story.

There have been plenty of video cards from different makers that have had issues.

Reactions: Leeea
Jul 27, 2020

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Up to you, but powering any card with SATA connectors is a bad idea IMO. You should be more worried about custom design coolers and PCBs, and keep in mind these do vary from model to model and this is on Geforce cards, AMD cards, motherboards etc. Do your research first.

Reactions: UsandThem and Leeea

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Up to you, but powering any card with SATA connectors is a bad idea IMO. You should be more worried about custom design coolers and PCBs, and keep in mind these do vary from model to model and this is on Geforce cards, AMD cards, motherboards etc. Do your research first.
So much in this thread. Underpowered no-name PSU, used mining card with weird clock rates (probably mining specific BIOS with first owner(s), and SATA power adapters for GPUs? Yikes!

• Wow
Reactions: Stuka87
Jul 27, 2020
Just to be clear, I wasn't using a SATA power cable. Just the standard 8-pin connector. The card should have crashed or powered down or even a helpful message should have popped up saying, "Power limit exceeded". Instead, it took out my mobo's PCIe slots even though it wasn't even being stressed that much. It worked great in Unigine with extreme settings. But faced with VR and Edge Chrome browser, it just had to throw a fit.