• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question XFX RX 580 8GB apparently died from VR

igor_kavinski

Jul 27, 2020
My RX 580 was previously stress tested with Unigine Superposition and passed it just fine. After that, I was busy so didn't get to run any game on it. Yesterday, I decided to setup the PIMAX P2 VR headset attached to the HDMI port of the RX 580. Pi Tools setup went fine and I saw in VR that I was standing on some rocky ledge and there were huge planets on opposite sides in the sky.

After confirming that the headset was working, I opened the new Edge Chrome browser to look up how to setup the NOLO VR controllers. At that point, the monitor screen went black and the RX 580 fans started blowing like crazy at full speed. I waited a few seconds for them to get back to normal but they didn't. System was unresponsive so booted it. Despite booting, the fans kept blowing at the same rate. Again, no output on the monitor. This time, I turned off the PC at the mains. Connected the monitor to the integrated Intel HD graphics and Windows came back. Checked device manager and there is no RX 580 under Display Adapters anymore. Scanned for hardware changes but no luck in detecting the 3D card. Any idea what could have happened? The card is no longer under warranty. Time to chop it up into a bazillion pieces or does anyone have an idea on how to bring it back to life?

dr1337

May 25, 2020
I had a 390x that would give me issue after issue while running VR, eventually after getting a 580 that would fuck up constantly too, I narrowed my issues down to a bad PSU.

In your case however it kinda does seem like the GPU is actually dead. I suppose the pimax could be bad and it sent USB power down the hdmi lines somehow. Its really weird to me that the GPU would try to boot and then turn its fans on max power. If you don't have any other rigs to troubleshoot with tbh its gonna be a hard time outside of getting another GPU and hoping it also doesn't blow up.

Guru

May 5, 2017
If your warranty is still valid, just use the warranty, if not you are out o0f luck.

I mean with the new generation mid range coming very shortly within 1 to 2 months, you can wait a bit and snatch up a used GPU on the cheap. I predicted in another thread that used GPU prices are going to fall as much as 50% once we have a good supply of mid range GPU's from Nvidia's 3000 series and AMD's 6000 series.

igor_kavinski

Jul 27, 2020
No warranty. Bought it used. Think it was used for mining since the clocks were weird (1200MHz gpu and 2100MHz RAM) but it passed Unigine Superposition without breaking a sweat so was working fine from what I could tell. Opened the case and removed the 8-pin connector. Red LED comes on and system doesn't boot. Put the connector back and the LED turns blue and system boots but still no detection in Windows and none of the Radeon's display outputs is working. I also took out the card to try and smell any burnt odors but there was none. Any ideas for a Radeon friendly Linux Live distribution that I could put on flash usb? Also tried switching the dual bios switch but no dice.

VirtualLarry

Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Call me a bit skeptical of your story. If the card had a modded /mining BIOS flashed to it, then AFAIK, you MUST use modded drivers; the standard AMD kernel driver checks the BIOS signature and refuses to load the Windows kernel driver if there's something amiss.

What is it you're not telling us? Were you mining on it yourself, too?

• Haha
Reactions: Magic Carpet

igor_kavinski

Jul 27, 2020
Call me a bit skeptical of your story. If the card had a modded /mining BIOS flashed to it, then AFAIK, you MUST use modded drivers; the standard AMD kernel driver checks the BIOS signature and refuses to load the Windows kernel driver if there's something amiss.

What is it you're not telling us? Were you mining on it yourself, too?
From what I know, it was a modded BIOS with downclocked GPU and overclocked RAM because I think mining needs more bandwidth (I've no clue since I've never mined myself). Picked up the card used and on the cheap in 2018 (~$160) and it was just lying around collecting dust because I normally game on my PS4 Pro and XB1X. Installed it so I could get it ready for playing HL:Alyx this year and that is when I ran Unigine Superposition to gauge its performance.

It did have weird POST issues from the start like displaying only the BIOS splash screen and then going dark until the Windows screen came up. I don't know about the BIOS signature thing. Maybe the signature of the BIOS was left untouched by the modder and he only changed the GPU/MEM clocks? It's an XFX GTS XXX edition and very well-built. I did have the optional AMD driver installed and not the WHQL one. Anyone know a cheap repair service?

igor_kavinski

Jul 27, 2020
So anyone want to guess what happened to it? I'm guessing maybe the 8-pin connector couldn't supply it with enough power and the card shut off to protect itself from damage? The PSU is only 400W(Huntkey brand). I do have a Corsair 500W PSU so will need to check with that.

Amazingly, nothing else was affected by the "incident". Rest of the system specs are i7-3770, Z77 Gigabyte mobo, 32GB DDR3-1600 and 160GB Intel SSD.

Shmee

Memory and Storage, Graphics Cards
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah I would definitely use a better quality PSU. You may get the card working again with one, and at the very least, you shouldn't have issues with adding a new card or other hardware.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
maddogmcgee Graphics Cards 15