XenForo 2.0 Upgrade: Announcement and Feedback Thread

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
So any progress on old-school AT skin for this forum? Sorry but this thing stinks compared to Fusetalk. Everything you'd done has basically been inferior to Fusetalk, at least in terms of look and feel. I mean, Web 2.0 yayyy but still, cmon guys.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
In threads with 7 posts or less, the posts are displayed without #__ indicator in the top right.
(In threads with 8 posts or more, this indicator is shown.)

Today is the first time that I noticed this. Therefore I believe one of the recent updates introduced this dynamic behavior, but I may be wrong.

Request:
Please show the #__ post numbering always, independently of the post count of a thread in which the post appeared.​

Rationale:
I am used to refer to posts in a form like thread "foo bar", post [ url=link to the post ] #123 [ /url ]. I want to do so without having to count out the number of the respective post myself. (Granted, having to count up to 7 or less is manageable. But I believe this was not necessary before one of the recent forum updates.)​

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Odd. Don't know why some do and some don't.
Looks like those reddit style "Question" threads don't have the #post number implemented.

Yeah, about those reddit style "Question" threads, I don't think I have seen it being used correctly yet. Couldn't it be removed altogether again?

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Looks like those reddit style "Question" threads don't have the #post number implemented.

As far as I can tell some threads with other prefixes do have post #s. Some don't.

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Looks like you are right. In the subforum in which I noticed this, the 8+ threads happened to be from before the update which brought the prefixes (or were carefully posted without Question prefix), whereas the 7- threads weren't.

I suppose the "^ upvote"/ "v downvote" misfeature which is added to responses in question threads is meant to throw the responses off of their chronological order to which the #__ markers related.

This leads to other problems right away:
  • When a thread is created, 'no prefix is selected by default, but still shows up as "Question"'.
  • When a thread was accidentally created as Question, and the prefix is removed after the fact, the thread list of a forum still flags this thread with a small red question mark as "unanswered", and the postings in this thread still have the upvote/ downvote interface on the left.
  • The prefixes add no value IMO. They are merely cluttering the thread list in a jarring manner. In the subforums which I read, you could tell right away which threads were questions or discussions or news or whatever just from the title that the OP chose; prefixes were never needed for this.

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
...The prefixes add no value IMO. They are merely cluttering the thread list in a jarring manner. In the subforums which I read, you could tell right away which threads were questions or discussions or news or whatever just from the title that the OP chose; prefixes were never needed for this.

I agree with you.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Forum owners,

please make the feature of having "upvote"/ "downvote" buttons next to responses something which the creator of a new thread sees as a clear option that he can switch on if desired. (Right now the way to switch it on and off is entirely obfuscated, and too many thread openers switch it on by accident!)

Alternatively (and many users of your forum will consider this the better option), remove this feature again entirely.

But at the very least, please fix ASAP the bug that threads which are opened with no prefix selected get the question prefix. If at all possible, please also fix the bug that threads whose question prefix gets removed or replaced still remain question-type threads.

jsimenhoff

Administrator
Jun 27, 2016
Forum owners,

please make the feature of having "upvote"/ "downvote" buttons next to responses something which the creator of a new thread sees as a clear option that he can switch on if desired. (Right now the way to switch it on and off is entirely obfuscated, and too many thread openers switch it on by accident!)

Alternatively (and many users of your forum will consider this the better option), remove this feature again entirely.

But at the very least, please fix ASAP the bug that threads which are opened with no prefix selected get the question prefix. If at all possible, please also fix the bug that threads whose question prefix gets removed or replaced still remain question-type threads.
This is great feedback. Thank you. We're exploring all possibilities and are working on the question type thread bugs you outlined.

Reactions: Ken g6

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Clicking the link for "There are more posts, show them?" still takes you to the post you just posted, instead of the first previously unshown post.

The page still scrolls up and down all the time while typing in mobile Firefox.

Still no page selection at the top of the page or thread listing on mobile site.

The rep system is highly annoying in the social forums. Like anyone that has used the internet could predict, some people just downvote everything posted by people they don't like.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The rep system is highly annoying in the social forums. Like anyone that has used the internet could predict, some people just downvote everything posted by people they don't like.

I've noticed a few people posting in the CPU forum (and elsewhere) with a stunning number of negative reactions. I can only conclude that those dislikes must have come from P&N. We've had some obnoxious tit-for-tat dislike wars in the tech forums, but nothing that extreme . . .

jsimenhoff

Administrator
Jun 27, 2016
We have plans to update the reactions add on functionality to weed out the negativity.

@Zorba Can you send us screenshots of the other issues you're having?

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Is it intentional that the top left Anandtech logo still doesn't link back to the main AT website?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Interesting question - That has always brought up the AT Forum for me. Assume you mean the word ANANDTECH ?

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Is it intentional that the top left Anandtech logo still doesn't link back to the main AT website?
Feels like they're trying to sequester forumites. Contain them in the rubber room. Could be a neglected detail though.

The corner logo used to be my handy link to hardware news.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Interesting question - That has always brought up the AT Forum for me. Assume you mean the word ANANDTECH ?

Prior to this XenForo thingy, it always brought up the AT mainpage. It was my handy quick link to escape the forum madness. There are two forum, home buttons directly under this, now, that bring up the forum main page. Don't know why we need 3 buttons, and no way outside of bookmarking the main page to go back to the website.

Reactions: jackstar7

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Just want to voice my distaste for the "reaction meter" on a board where so many members are needlessly antagonistic towards each other on various issues.

And if we're keeping all of these reactions, then an eye-rolling one is an omission that should be remedied.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Prior to this XenForo thingy, it always brought up the AT mainpage. It was my handy quick link to escape the forum madness. There are two forum, home buttons directly under this, now, that bring up the forum main page. Don't know why we need 3 buttons, and no way outside of bookmarking the main page to go back to the website.
yup, prior to the latest upgrade clicking the 'AnandTech' logo would take you to anandtech.com front page.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Maybe this has been mentioned, but I searched the first 3 pages of this thread and found nothing about it.

I primarily browse from an iPhone XS Max with iOS mobile Safari web browser. The first and most immediately-obvious problem I had with this new style is that there's no list of pages at the top of a thread. When I get to a thread by listing newest posts, I can't tell if I'm on the first page / first post. I can't even tell if there are multiple pages. So, cumulatively, I have wasted a lot of time scrolling to the bottom of a thread to see if I'm on the first page, then scrolling all the way back up to start reading. If I rotate my phone to horizontal orientation, then I can see the page info at the top of the thread. Sometimes my hands aren't free and it's awkward or difficult for me to rotate my phone.

I've said before how much I hate so-called "responsive design." There's simply no sensible reason to hide the page number / page count info at the top of the thread, while keeping the one at the bottom persistent.