XenForo 2.0 Upgrade: Announcement and Feedback Thread

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
This is prob the last post I'll make in here. The site 100% does not work for me at work . Forums simply do not load. I just get a blank white page. Something our IT dept is blocking prevents anything from loading . The only other site I've ever seen this happen to is dpreview. Which loads txt but no css so it's unuseable

Seeing as I browse the forums mostly at work I think this is the final nail.

Tested in both IE and Chrome same thing

Posted this from my phone

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
For me it's just the main forums link that does not work.

If I go straight to a forum, Like Hardware and Technology, or Social, the board works fine.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Cleared the Firefox cache.

Main link still no go.

Neither the Home link or Forums link in the upper left works.

Direct links to specific forums do work, though.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I'm just going to bookmark the Hardware and Technology page.

I can navigate from there.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I can't even get to the site without using a proxy. I couldn't even post without disabling scripts. Am I banned? If not what changed between now and right after you first upgraded? I use Firefox 62.0.3 with noscript and ublock Origin but I could always get the site to work before. I can't even use Chrome to get the site to work. This link just brings up a blank page. https://forums.anandtech.com/
My issue seems fixed today. If it was intentionally fixed thank you.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Suggestion for the "Ask the Community" form in the right-hand sidebar: It should select the current forum, not the first one in the list (CPUs). Otherwise, you're going to see a lot of threads mistakenly started in that forum.

Reactions: Ken g6

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
:eek: Since you posted it, they already changed that one!
(Good suggestion, btw)

Wait a minute, I notice it changing when viewing a forum and its list of threads, but once you start viewing a thread it loses track and defaults back to CPU.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I notice it changing when viewing a forum and its list of threads, but once you start viewing a thread it loses track and defaults back to CPU.

Yeah, I hadn't really noticed that. It works as you'd expect at the forum listing level, but not when viewing an individual thread. Probably more of a bug than a feature suggestion.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Why text editing formatting capability is gone?

Can't format any text while editing!

==

Stupid me, I accidentally clicked Toggle BB Code button. ;)

Last edited:

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
For anyone interested, the theme that's being used here for XenForo 2, is called UI.X 2 from ThemeHouse:

https://www.themehouse.com/xenforo/2/themes/ui-x

As you can see from the live demo, it's not supposed to appear as it does here, and the reviews are excellent. I get the impression that XenForo 2 itself wasn't nearly as radically changed as the broken interface here would imply. What I'd guess happened is that someone customizing the theme for the AnandTech forums screwed something up.

I'd like to suggest that when (not if) Purch fixes this with an update, they post a public beta and take comments and bug reports from users.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I've noticed when I try to post, I'll get the loading bars in the top right that never seem to quit, then they will disappear but my post won't show. I'll click post reply again and now I have two identical posts.

Happens on both Chrome and Pale Moon.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Now you don't see how many views a thread has and don't know if the topic is attracting viewers.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
A couple of observations which lead to a suggestion:

1. There is no easy way to jump to a forum anymore, except from the homepage. The little box-above-three-boxes icon is gone. :(
2. There is a list of all the forums on the right column, but all it lets you do is post.

So, wouldn't it make sense to add a button there to "Read" or something, to go read a forum?

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
The join date or at least the post count of each user needs to be shown by default so that we can easily identify if a reply is a spam.

Reactions: Zorba

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
The join date or at least the post count of each user needs to be shown by default so that we can easily identify if a reply is a spam.
It's in the dropdown area, and at least a basic indication of post count is shown by default. Generally, spammers will be "Junior Member"s.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
It's in the dropdown area, and at least a basic indication of post count is shown by default. Generally, spammers will be "Junior Member"s.

If you're working on an alternative, see below. This is something, though, that I think Purch should easily fix.

Code:
/* unhide user info: join date, post count, etc. */
.thThreads__message-userExtras {
    height: auto;
}

/* hide toggle switch */
.thThreads__userExtra--toggle {
    display: none;
}

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
When typing a message on mobile Firefox, if someone else posts in the thread the page will jump up to the last post every time I stop typing for a few seconds. It is very annoying.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
It is also way to easy to click stuff by accident on the mobile page. There seems to be more and bigger button near the right hand side. The floating buttons appear and disappear like crazy. And the page in general seems to scroll up and down a few lines all the time for random reasons.

This is easily the second worst mobile experience I've had on any forum (worst is cruise critic).