XenForo 2.0 Upgrade: Announcement and Feedback Thread

jpishgar

VP, Global Community
Nov 24, 2014
www.futureplc.com
Greetings everyone!

In the interest of improving user experience for all members in our community, we’re upgrading the forum software from XenForo 1.5.21 to XenForo 2.0. We’re undertaking this important update for a number of reasons:

• Increasing site speed and load times
• Improving User Interface and User Experience Designs on the form, both for desktop and mobile
• A bigger and better add-on ecosystem for new features including:
- Quick-thread Replies
- Improvements to AnandTech’s Trophy System
- Improved thread navigation

We’ll be taking the forum offline for a number of hours during the rollout in order to complete the upgrade.

We know that platform upgrades can be disruptive to your daily routine; familiarity and the comfort of habits are important to online communities. We’re making these changes to put the AnandTech forums in a better position to handle growth, and keep the boards feature-rich for users. During the upgrade, please bear with us as we work diligently to bring the forum over to XenForo 2.0.

If you have any thoughts, concerns, or feedback after the upgrade finishes please put them here in the thread.

Warm Regard,
The Community Team

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Thanks for all your efforts! I know these things are always a big undertaking, and I just wanted to say I appreciate the efforts.

I for one love the new layout, fonts, and clean design.

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
Like I told my folks when they brought my baby brother home from the hospital, take him back, I can't like him.

While I changed my mind about my brother, I will not about this new design style. It is awful...blinding...garish. It is horrible.

I've been with AT since the dark ages, this may be the final nail.

Please return a viewable default option.

jpishgar

VP, Global Community
Nov 24, 2014
www.futureplc.com
Thanks for all your efforts! I know these things are always a big undertaking, and I just wanted to say I appreciate the efforts.

Quite welcome! It was (and is) a labor of love.

Please return a viewable default option.

Have you considered trying the Dark version of the the theme? What about the view do you not like?

Reactions: Audentio

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Also, there is no longer a link to the main AnandTech site. Maybe change the "Home" link in the menu to go there as it is currently set to the forum root which duplicates the "Forum" link just below it.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Myself and lxskllr were blocked from posting for a bit. Maybe glitch?

Same here. It looks like it was fixed. :)

One thing I have noticed though: If I click directly on the most recent post in a thread, it usually doesn't load. However, if I go directly into the sub-forum, there usually isn't a problem.

22.jpg

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I have three others pm me / md post that they can't post
I.e. insufficient privileges

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
The default theme background is way too bright, it's hurting my eyes! And I don't like dark style. :mad:

And can we bring back old Emojis? The new ones are just ugly. :eek:

benjamin.mtzgr

Nov 6, 2011
www.mtzgr.net
I like the dark theme colors. It's pretty.

The overall layout is not appeasing. I find that I have to move closer to the screen to see properly. Too much "white space". So much useless space between relevant information.

Please provide an option to return to the old style, or add more theme options for this newer version.

I find this update to be on par with the latest reddit layout update. How many of you still use the "old" link when viewing reddit? I don't have a HUGE issue with the newest reddit layout, but I MUCH prefer the older, more, "in your face" than aesthetically pleasing layout.

Once again, please provide more layout options.

Thanks and I love you guys.

Reactions: AstuteCobra
Nov 20, 2009
It is the general move to mobile-device friendly design. I feel like someone threw a melted carton of crayons at the screen. So Candyland.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Quite the shocker, this new theme. It's the change the community will protest, but I'll see if I can't find a style edit that suits softer tones.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Quite the shocker, this new theme. It's the change the community will protest, but I'll see if I can't find a style edit that suits softer tones.

I'm rocking the "default" theme, which is a little bland looking, but compared to the other two choices it will have to do. :)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
We need the Old Theme, whatever it was called. I know someone will Update things to allow this eventually, but until then the current Themes stick out as the worst part of the Upgrade.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
So I'm guessing Tapatalk is done for? I've been looking for reasons to give up these forums. This may be it. Also this bright orange is way too much.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
So I'm guessing Tapatalk is done for? I've been looking for reasons to give up these forums. This may be it. Also this bright orange is way too much.

There's two other themes you can choose that might work better for you: Dark and default.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Default has a weird bug. It has some light grey text on the top of all pages.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181114-221744_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181114-221744_Chrome.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 20

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Fainter fonts, especially thread titles are harder to read. Come on, faint orange thread titles?!

Reactions: Vattila

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Fainter fonts, especially thread titles are harder to read. Come on, faint orange thread titles?!

At the start of testing, they were once 'burn-your-retinas out' orange, so hopefully they'll add some more options/tweaks going forward.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
There is way too much wasted space. I was still annoyed about the right side bar that was added ~10 years ago, now I have a left one, a bigger right one and huge bars between posts.

Please at least give us an option to use more than 30% of our screen for actual post text.

Part of the problem is the thumbs up icon takes up like 5 lines of space, where it used to share one line with the reply button.

Edit: Just realized I could collapse the side bars. That is nice, not massively obvious, but it is really nice the feature is there. It'd be nice if I could make the top bar half its height.

Reactions: WiseUp216 and cbn