XenForo 2.0 Upgrade: Announcement and Feedback Thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PurchDave

Staff member
Apr 9, 2015
Many threads dont load when I click on them. They cycle for several minutes and then nothing.
Thanks, we were aware of the issue and have taken steps to alleviate the slow load times. Your experience should be much better now. Thanks for hanging in there with us and for the feedback!

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
I find the font used by the AnandTech style sheets less readable and too thin for my ~90 ppi monitor (24" 1920x1200). E.g. letters "R" and number "4" renders very badly with uneven stroke.

The font used by the "Default" style is OK, but the "Default" style has other issues, such as very faint grays for links, header on quotes ("blahblah said:", is almost unreadable), on buttons ("Attach files" looks grayed out/disabled), sidebar titles ("ASK THE COMMUNITY" is near invisible). Light gray colours are meant to denote deactivation, right? So light gray is a poor choice for such widespread use on active elements.

I use the Microsoft Edge browser, by the way.

Reactions: amenx

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
Where is the Edit option? My posts only has a Delete action link (lower left).

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Where is the Edit option? My posts only has a Delete action link (lower left).

The following image should show you where to expect the edit button. Regardless, you should see it directly to the right of the "Report" button on your own posts.

at xen2 edit.png

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
1. Can't edit my replies to others.

2. Some threads took quite a while to load.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I've not figured out how to edit my posts. Some forums don't allow this after a certain time period, but certainly we ought to have a time window in which to fix a typo. I'm pretty fat-fingered sometimes.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
10 minutes past, and I still can't edit the reply I posted 10 minutes ago.

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
Sounds like a permission issue they may need to sort out.
And not everyone is affected.

Yeah. And the "Report" action link is also missing from all posts (not just my own). Both action links are missing regardless of theme ("Default" or "AnandTech"), so it doesn't seem to be a style sheet issue.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
In thread listings, the number of 'agrees' / 'likes' etc are out of line with other symbols on the right-hand side of the listed item, to the point that they're overlapping the next line.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I tried a search with the following parameters:
  • I entered a single keyword.
  • Limited the search to "This forum" (was Software/ Distributed Computing).
  • Limited to "Search titles only".
First try failed with a gateway timeout. Second try failed with a server error. I didn't try more, nor with other parameters.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
I'm rocking the "default" theme, which is a little bland looking, but compared to the other two choices it will have to do. :)
Yeah, the default theme seems closest to the old one, and provided that the issue with the grey fonts - especially the username in quotes, is fixed, it would approach tolerable levels of acceptance.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
The default theme background is way too bright, it's hurting my eyes! And I don't like dark style. :mad:

And can we bring back old Emojis? The new ones are just ugly. :eek:
^ Pretty much this. So... much.... white-space...

- Can you not move the "Ask The Community" bar on the right underneath the one of the left. It looks absurd to require 2x columns and yet both would easily fit the average page length vertically in height if they were merged into one? That would increase space for main post content in the centre requiring less scrolling.

- Profile Alerts, Settings, What's New, etc, in the left side-bar would make more sense having it in the header bar at the top where it's always visible. This makes the left column even shorter which doubles up on the reason to merge it with the right.

- The dark's contrast is fine for short periods on phones at night, but how about creating an additional light theme in-between based on what you see on Kindle / FBReader software for tablets, ie, something in-between with a darker light background. Like the 3rd picture down in this article? Doesn't have to be "sepia", it can be a medium grey, off beige, whatever. Just something to break up the "wall of white space"? The "well we have a dark theme option so we made the light theme extremely bright" thing doesn't make much sense on any site.

- Also, for smilies, a possible bug - I'm seeing "Emoji Food" listed twice, the second of which is real but the first is blank? And just for the record I preferred the original smilies too (the ones with "colbert", etc, from time before the last update).

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Also where did the "Edit" function go? All I see is Delete, Quote & Reply at the bottom and Bookmark at the top.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Also where did the "Edit" function go? All I see is Delete, Quote & Reply at the bottom and Bookmark at the top.
Fonts are definitely fainter and more difficult to read too. Gaah, please bring back the edit function, I could have put all this in one post!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Fonts are definitely fainter and more difficult to read too. Gaah, please bring back the edit function, I could have put all this in one post!

It's there (it wasn't there for me at first either), but they are still working through some bugs for some users. It should show up when they get those ironed out.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
f7151804-8ee9-4548-b7d8-25f6543e9132.png

Username in the quotes in unreadable. This is in Firefox - I cannot imagine what it'd be like in Chromium browsers.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
f7151804-8ee9-4548-b7d8-25f6543e9132.png

Username in the quotes in unreadable. This is in Firefox - I cannot imagine what it'd be like in Chromium browsers.
^ I can confirm this with Firefox v62. I tested it in Vivaldi (Chromium based) and names appear as blue links. Upgrading to Firefox 63.0.1 doesn't fix it.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Far too much white space even with the bars collapsed, and too much information is hidden behind drop down menus and sub menus. Sorry guys, honestly not a fan of this one. Don't hate the material design though, the colors are ok, just the physical dimensions.

Technically I've been having issues with long load times (maybe just a natural part of the upgrade process) and in the dark theme certain settings still have a bright blue header.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
^ I can confirm this with Firefox v62. I tested it in Vivaldi (Chromium based) and names appear as blue links. Upgrading to Firefox 63.0.1 doesn't fix it.
Hmm. It now appears to be fixed in Firefox. "Edit" feature is definitely still missing though.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Also just noticed - do we really need 17x different dislike / like "emotions". From what I've seen on other forums in the past, whereas "likes" can make a helpful post stand out, when you introducing "dislikes, sad dislike, angry dislike, boring dislike, nitpicking over spelling dislike", etc, that's when forums really start to go downhill. The last thing I want to see is this place trying too hard to end up like Twitter...

Reactions: amenx

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Not in love with the new design. It suffers from many other modern design as in way too much wasted space on the sides. Heck last week my bank did the same thing. I much prefer the old forum layout as it was more efficient on the front-end (user). I can understand the new forum are more efficient on the backend but this is just painful. This ignores minor issues like color scheme that one might adjust overtime. Anyway as admins it is your choice what you do but if you want feedback - I think this design is not user friendly and a waste of space.