Xcom2 in January monthly humble bundle

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Seems like a great deal. The monthly package is $12/month, and includes about 8-10 games.

They announce one big title you get immediately on paying, the others are hidden until later.

The holiday sale price of Xcom 2 was $30 and reviews are good.

Also, if it's allowed, the current package sent a referral code for new subscribers. Unfortunately they don't give any reward to the subscriber, just $3 to the referral, but for what it's worth:

https://humble.com/monthly?refc=4LlY6X

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
For those who havent tried it, Xcom 2 is superior in pretty much every way to Xcom: E.U.
Try it on Steam and sell it back if you think otherwise.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Is it still super scripted? That really killed X-COM: EU and EW for me.

The original UFO:Enemy Unknown was much superior in that regard. It may still have had script/time triggers but it didn't feel like it.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
XCOM EU had a problem whereby if you shot down the overseer ufo then basically the gamer timer would stop, allowing you to do what you liked at your leisure. AFAIK XCOM2 does not allow you to do anything like this.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Pity I picked up Xcom 2 recently in some sale; though on the good side it was only $20.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Never knew HB had monthly subscriptions. Is this relatively new? Also, can I just sign up for the monthly $12/m, get the games, then unsubscribe immediately after I get the games?

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I bought it back in Dec from GoG. It's decent but it seems to suffer a little from jrpg syndrome (imo) where it's a little too much animated and not quite enough tactical. I don't need to see a close up cut-scene of my sniper running across a street hurdling fences every 15 seconds but I really would like to be able to tell if she has a view of that alien beserker *before* i move her to the roof of that building. The mod community does fix a lot of those issues however.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Never knew HB had monthly subscriptions. Is this relatively new? Also, can I just sign up for the monthly $12/m, get the games, then unsubscribe immediately after I get the games?

Yes, you can. They've been doing it for a year or so. This month's Vermintide bundle was the first month of my sub and I was pretty happy with what the selection ended up being.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Subscribing also gives you 10% off in the store on other games which can be a pretty great deal, since they often have good prices already.

But the way it works is, you only know the one game you're getting when you pay - you find out the rest later.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Thanks, I subscribed again.

I subscribed for one or two months, but I found that most of the games are bad or uninteresting, and only 1 or 2 of them are good. So these days, I only subscribe if I knew I'll be getting at least one good game - in this case, XCOM 2, which is worth the $12 alone.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I bought it back in Dec from GoG. It's decent but it seems to suffer a little from jrpg syndrome (imo) where it's a little too much animated and not quite enough tactical. I don't need to see a close up cut-scene of my sniper running across a street hurdling fences every 15 seconds but I really would like to be able to tell if she has a view of that alien beserker *before* i move her to the roof of that building. The mod community does fix a lot of those issues however.

How would someone know that they would have a view of something from a particular position without going there and checking?

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Most of the "tactical" games I've played give you some sort of clue as lines of sight. And with Xcom2 it's definitely hard to tell what could or could not be blocking your view. Considering that one of the most downloaded Mods for the game does nothing but provide a little additional detail on what's a flanking shot, LoS, etc I'm not the only one who feels that way.
It most cases it shouldn't be hard to tell if a new location will provide you with an angle to fire or not.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Question: I'm assuming these are monthly deals at HB and if I were to wait until the 28th or 29th of the month to subscribe, then would I be able to get all the games, then cancel my subscription immediately after? Kinda on a tight budget but whereas some people have cigarette and beer money, I have video game money and $12 is more than worth it for XCOM 2.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Question: I'm assuming these are monthly deals at HB and if I were to wait until the 28th or 29th of the month to subscribe, then would I be able to get all the games, then cancel my subscription immediately after? Kinda on a tight budget but whereas some people have cigarette and beer money, I have video game money and $12 is more than worth it for XCOM 2.

PM me an email address and I'll gift you my copy. I already own it. Not sure when it unlocks for me but I can check tonight.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
yes. you can do this. I do it often.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
So, regarding the Humble Bundle monthly subscriptions, I'm wondering if someone could be nice enough to post (in a new topic), the games that each month's subscription will feature. From what I've gathered, we have to sign up for a monthly subscription and then we get to see the games we get for free, but for some of us on a tighter budget, it would be great if we could pick and choose which month we want to subscribe for.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
So, regarding the Humble Bundle monthly subscriptions, I'm wondering if someone could be nice enough to post (in a new topic), the games that each month's subscription will feature. From what I've gathered, we have to sign up for a monthly subscription and then we get to see the games we get for free, but for some of us on a tighter budget, it would be great if we could pick and choose which month we want to subscribe for.
sorry boss. doesn't work that way. best way to do it is to see if you want the game they're offering up front. if yes, sub. if no, don't. They don't announce the package until it goes live, and then its too late to buy.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I was running under the assumption the monthly subscription comes with more than just the main game they showcase and they are only revealed to you after you subscribe. If someone here has a subscription, why wouldn't they be able to just tell us what games they got for that month so everyone else can decide whether or not they want to subscribe that month?

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
I was running under the assumption the monthly subscription comes with more than just the main game they showcase and they are only revealed to you after you subscribe. If someone here has a subscription, why wouldn't they be able to just tell us what games they got for that month so everyone else can decide whether or not they want to subscribe that month?
you're mostly correct. Here's how it works:

-Start of a new month, new bundle is for sale (subscription)
-one game is offered by name, which you receive immediately when you buy the monthly bundle.
-all other games remain hidden until end of the month, when they are released simultaneously. You do not get those games until the end of the month regardless of when you subscribe.
-once all games are revealed, you can no longer purchase the bundle.
-repeat for new month, with new title offered and new bundle.

Reactions: WiseUp216

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
you're mostly correct. Here's how it works:

-Start of a new month, new bundle is for sale (subscription)
-one game is offered by name, which you receive immediately when you buy the monthly bundle.
-all other games remain hidden until end of the month, when they are released simultaneously. You do not get those games until the end of the month regardless of when you subscribe.
-once all games are revealed, you can no longer purchase the bundle.
-repeat for new month, with new title offered and new bundle.
It seems they figured people would do what I suggested and only subscribe on the months for the popular games. Oh well. Guess I'll just check in once a month and see if the game they feature is worth the $12.