Xbox Series X

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
With that PC, there really isn't a reason to own an XBX right now. I keep going back and forth, but I think not finding one has been a positive. Every game is on the PC going forward and many of the last gen games are there too.
It took FOREVER to get that gpu though which is why I ended up getting both consoles. I literally had given up gpu hunting and said to myself as long as my 1080Ti didn't die I would be ok for another year or so.

But you are right as time went on, I started to see almost every Xbox game also ends up on PC with the exception of a few.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
It took FOREVER to get that gpu though which is why I ended up getting both consoles. I literally had given up gpu hunting and said to myself as long as my 1080Ti didn't die I would be ok for another year or so.

But you are right as time went on, I started to see almost every Xbox game also ends up on PC with the exception of a few.

That makes sense. My frame of reference is a little skewed since I've had a 3090 since launch and the new consoles came a few months later.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
With that PC, there really isn't a reason to own an XBX right now. I keep going back and forth, but I think not finding one has been a positive. Every game is on the PC going forward and many of the last gen games are there too.

If you already have a pretty nice gpu. I have a 1660 Super which is way weaker than what is in the Series X. Even if gpu prices got to say 2019 normal it would still be pretty expensive for me to do a platform upgrade to say an R5 5600X or i7-10700 based system from my current Xeon E3-1231v3 build if I wanted to play new releases on PC. Which is why I anticipate buying a Series X for MS exclusive games and just keeping my E3-1231v3 and 1660S for old games and emulation until the wheels fall off.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Girl I've been on some dates with works at LinkedIn , when we were out last night she mentioned they were owned by Microsoft. I did not know about that acquisition.

She knew I played Xbox. Today she sends me a code for a year free of game pass ultimate and set me up with a perk for $250 of digital downloads at employee prices. Just part of her perks everybody gets there. She can give up to 15 people a year that $250 credit at employee pricing.

I saw Halo was 50% off so I guess they get 50% off even from AAA new releases.

That's cool

• Love
Reactions: blckgrffn

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If you already have a pretty nice gpu. I have a 1660 Super which is way weaker than what is in the Series X. Even if gpu prices got to say 2019 normal it would still be pretty expensive for me to do a platform upgrade to say an R5 5600X or i7-10700 based system from my current Xeon E3-1231v3 build if I wanted to play new releases on PC. Which is why I anticipate buying a Series X for MS exclusive games and just keeping my E3-1231v3 and 1660S for old games and emulation until the wheels fall off.
That's the thing. I have the rig in my sig, but to upgrade my GPU I'm going to need 2k at least. It's a bit pricey for me when an Xbox is 500 clams. I don't play enough games to make it worth it though, you guys play a lot more games than I do.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
In case anyone is looking for wireless headphones for the Xbox, after trying the Steelseries Arctis 9x, the Turtle Beach Series 700 series 2 and the Corsair HS75XB wireless headsets I am returning them all and going with wired. Each one definitely had a bit of a different sound signature and quality.

The range of all of them is pretty poor. It's fine when I'm playing my XBox but I can't go to my kitchen or bathroom without them cutting out and then disconnecting, which used to not be the case with my Arctis 7 on the PS4 Pro which had a dongle. No point in paying for wireless with inferior SQ when I can't do what I want to do with wireless - I can't jump up, run and go pee or grab a drink of water without my headphones dropping. That proprietary XBox codec sucks for range.

Trying a pair of Philips X2 with the V Moda Boom Mic.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Not sure why that is a problem. 60 fps games on series X vs 30fps game on one. The FPS boost has been amazing to play older games. For example, Prey is an amazing game on Series X/S, but it is painful to play on XOne/PS4 at 30fps.
Yeah I mean Gears 5 looked great and I enjoyed it after not having played the series since part 3, but it is just more of the same with nothing innovative or anything. It's the same old stale recipe but again, it was fun because it had been a very long time since I played any Gears game.

The worst part by far was how they tried to tack on open world levels which made the game artificially longer than it had to be. I would have preferred to completely bypass that part on the skiff.

But I mean, I didn't buy a new console to play last generations games. I want to play current gen games. I know it's 100% my fault though because MS was completely transparent about having no XSX games until at least 18 months into the consoles life. So I have no one else to blame by myself. But I got caught up in the hype and I'm a console fanboy and had to have one.

Even if I don't play it at all at least it looks cool in my AV closet.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Girl I've been on some dates with works at LinkedIn , when we were out last night she mentioned they were owned by Microsoft. I did not know about that acquisition.

She knew I played Xbox. Today she sends me a code for a year free of game pass ultimate and set me up with a perk for $250 of digital downloads at employee prices. Just part of her perks everybody gets there. She can give up to 15 people a year that $250 credit at employee pricing.

I saw Halo was 50% off so I guess they get 50% off even from AAA new releases.

That's cool
Oh hey new best friend!

My gamertag is purbeast send it on over to her.

Let me know once I have all that free stuff thanks!

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I can't get Quick Resume to stop on BF2042 or Halo. I try removing them from the Quick Resume group. Then restart the console. Or do a full shutdown. Doesn't matter, everytime I launch those games, they go back to Quick Resume.

Quite annoying.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I can't get Quick Resume to stop on BF2042 or Halo. I try removing them from the Quick Resume group. Then restart the console. Or do a full shutdown. Doesn't matter, everytime I launch those games, they go back to Quick Resume.

Quite annoying.

Apparently this can't be fixed. You must quit the games manually in order for Quick Play to not take effect. Really dumb.

Last gen consoles if you just shut down your console or let it turn off after x amount of time, you turn it on next time, launch the game and it works. Quick Play breaks this on multiplayer games.

There should be an option to turn off QP in some way - if a game to game selection is too complex, at least turn it off altogether. That should be easy enough.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Apparently this can't be fixed. You must quit the games manually in order for Quick Play to not take effect. Really dumb.

Last gen consoles if you just shut down your console or let it turn off after x amount of time, you turn it on next time, launch the game and it works. Quick Play breaks this on multiplayer games.

There should be an option to turn off QP in some way - if a game to game selection is too complex, at least turn it off altogether. That should be easy enough.
Considering quick resume simply won't work for online multiplayer, I can't believe they didn't simply implement it so that if you stop playing while in multiplayer, it simply does not quick resume. Seems so simple and basic to do and they knew it didn't work for multiplayer because I remember them talking about it when talking about quick resume feature.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Considering quick resume simply won't work for online multiplayer, I can't believe they didn't simply implement it so that if you stop playing while in multiplayer, it simply does not quick resume. Seems so simple and basic to do and they knew it didn't work for multiplayer because I remember them talking about it when talking about quick resume feature.

It really is bad design. I do not program code but this seems like basic functionality.

I mean some games have a multi player and a single player mode so I guess the console can't know what you are going to launch next, so at least let us turn it on or off.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It really is bad design. I do not program code but this seems like basic functionality.

I mean some games have a multi player and a single player mode so I guess the console can't know what you are going to launch next, so at least let us turn it on or off.
It doesn't know what you are going to launch next, but it does know what you are doing when you shut it down, and should be able to quickly resume based on that. As a developer myself it just sounds super basic and easy to implement.

But MS has never been known for making good UX. I think their UX has gotten way worse each iteration of Xbox.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
My guess is that MS treats it like the save state of a VM and really doesn’t have hooks into the program. It’s encapsulated from the OS so the program doesn’t know that it’s state is being saved to storage.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
My guess is that MS treats it like the save state of a VM and really doesn’t have hooks into the program. It’s encapsulated from the OS so the program doesn’t know that it’s state is being saved to storage.
Yeah but the API should have some sort of flag that has to be set on every game/app that just says if it's in an online mode or not. It's such a simple thing that could be checked at any given time, and if on quick resume it is in an online mode, then just boot as normal.

iOS apps has these kind of hooks that are ran at every time you open an app, whether it's in the background or opening from scratch, and this was back in like 2011 when I started doing app development, before Xbox One was even out.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah but the API should have some sort of flag that has to be set on every game/app that just says if it's in an online mode or not. It's such a simple thing that could be checked at any given time, and if on quick resume it is in an online mode, then just boot as normal.

iOS apps has these kind of hooks that are ran at every time you open an app, whether it's in the background or opening from scratch, and this was back in like 2011 when I started doing app development, before Xbox One was even out.

just seems like it's easy enough to do. I will contact support and maybe they will fix this eventually if enough people bitch.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Either way, it's highway robbery considering that you can buy a 1 TB external SSD for around $120.

External SSD is not NVME storage. The expansion card is the same performance as the built in SSD and it priced fairly according to that.

Halo Infinite campaign is awesome by the way. I finished it the other day. Some very surprising reveals story wise. I do recommend it highly.

Last edited:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
External SSD is not NVME storage. The expansion card is the same performance as the built in SSD and it priced fairly according to that.

When it was released it was priced fairly. PCIe 4 NVMe have begun dropping in price though. They need to lower the price of the expansion by ~$20-40 IMO.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
When it was released it was priced fairly. PCIe 4 NVMe have begun dropping in price though. They need to lower the price of the expansion by ~$20-40 IMO.

It’s a Samsung drive, do we know what model is inside the case? Samsung is always priced a bit higher but are good performers.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It is seagate, not samsung. It uses a single 1TB chip, so that might push the price a bit higher. Xbox Series X Seagate Expansion Card teardown | VentureBeat

Ah ok I should have known that as I bought one lol.

Has there been any word on larger sized being available? I mean, you can buy a 2TB or bigger drive for the PS5 if you wanted to. I don’t think I will need that much space myself but options are always good, especially for those going 100% digital/Gamepass.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Ah ok I should have known that as I bought one lol.

Has there been any word on larger sized being available? I mean, you can buy a 2TB or bigger drive for the PS5 if you wanted to. I don’t think I will need that much space myself but options are always good, especially for those going 100% digital/Gamepass.
Yes, they released a 2TB and 512GB sizes.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Man, I didn't realize XBox Series actually supported FreeSync over HDMI 2.0. Definitely will make it my console for multiplats over PS5 since PS5's rumored update is supposed to be only for VRR over HDMI 2.1 and I game on a 4k FreeSync panel.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Man, I didn't realize XBox Series actually supported FreeSync over HDMI 2.0. Definitely will make it my console for multiplats over PS5 since PS5's rumored update is supposed to be only for VRR over HDMI 2.1 and I game on a 4k FreeSync panel.
Supported on One S/X since 2018.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski