Xbox Series X

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 20, 2009
So, the masses went from a gaming network where you played your games to a plan in which you played the games Microsoft wants you to play?

Nov 20, 2009
Is this supposed to be some dig against gamepass? It is an awesome service and completely optional.
I'm sorry, is digging at gamepass prohibited on this forum? My point was was when someone considered it would be replacing XBL Gold. If that were to happen then yes, I'm diggin at gamepass. Not with a fork, but a backhoe.

Reactions: purbeast0

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I'm sorry, is digging at gamepass prohibited on this forum? My point was was when someone considered it would be replacing XBL Gold. If that were to happen then yes, I'm diggin at gamepass. Not with a fork, but a backhoe.

Hate on whatever you want. Your comment still doesn't make much sense. Whether you subscribe to gamepass or not you can play whatever game you want.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Oh but hey, we should all just accept it because @LikeLinus called it months ago and said we are all morons for not paying the new prices.
@purbeast0, that's not what I said. I said if the price of Gold is now $120, you'd be a moron to pay that over GamePass.

After all, you're the one that started all this with "LOL Microsoft doubled their XBL prices for ... no reason at all." There was a reason behind it and that's all I pointed out. We had this conversation in Oct of last year and a lot of people knew it was coming.

But this is all coming from a scalper ripping people off 2-3x the price of the console. Again, you're part of the problem as well. Calling Microsoft out for price increase, while you're doing some pretty scummy stuff yourself. In other words, you're a hypocrite and your words ring hollow.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
That doesnt help anyone who just wants to play multiplayer games.
I realize that. I also mentioned in this thread that there are rumors of MS allowing free Multiplayer games. It was around the same time they mentioned Xbox Live Gold was being phased out and GamePass would replace it. So you would have GamePass and Free Multiplayer.

Only MS knows their strategy long term. We shall see.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
@purbeast0, that's not what I said. I said if the price of Gold is now $120, you'd be a moron to pay that over GamePass.

After all, you're the one that started all this with "LOL Microsoft doubled their XBL prices for ... no reason at all." There was a reason behind it and that's all I pointed out. We had this conversation in Oct of last year and a lot of people knew it was coming.

But this is all coming from a scalper ripping people off 2-3x the price of the console. Again, you're part of the problem as well. Calling Microsoft out for price increase, while you're doing some pretty scummy stuff yourself. In other words, you're a hypocrite and your words ring hollow.
LOL.

Way to completely move the goal posts cause you got nothing else and now look like a moron.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
LOL.

Way to completely move the goal posts cause you got nothing else and now look like a moron.
BS. Here is where I used the moron comment:

"Again, you can move to GamePass Console and get added benefits. You're a moron if you pay for Xbox Live Gold at $120 a year vs getting GamePass."

Meaning, if you had to choose between the two, the GP is the much better option.

I NEVER said people who don't pay the new price are morons. Please feel free to quote me and show me where I said such. Otherwise, you're an outright liar and you've proven my point. I never used the word moron other than that one post.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
BS. Here is where I used the moron comment:

"Again, you can move to GamePass Console and get added benefits. You're a moron if you pay for Xbox Live Gold at $120 a year vs getting GamePass."

Meaning, if you had to choose between the two, the GP is the much better option.

I NEVER said people who don't pay the new price are morons. Please feel free to quote me and show me where I said such. Otherwise, you're an outright liar and you've proven my point. I never used the word moron other than that one post.
So let me get this straight.

You are saying that a person currently on XBL Gold who has it solely to play games online, would be a moron to pay $120 for XBL Gold instead of paying $120 for Gamepass (console) which won't let them play games online?

Is that really what you are saying?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I realize that. I also mentioned in this thread that there are rumors of MS allowing free Multiplayer games. It was around the same time they mentioned Xbox Live Gold was being phased out and GamePass would replace it. So you would have GamePass and Free Multiplayer.

Only MS knows their strategy long term. We shall see.

Yeah, but making decisions based on rumor is not a good strategy. Had this price increase gone through, my recommendation for anyone looking to buy a console for online play would be to buy a PS5 as $120 for online is a ripoff (as is $60 IMO).

Reactions: balloonshark

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Paying anything at all to play online is BS.

I'm fine with it on Playstation and XBox since Sony and Microsoft subsidize the costs of the hardware and that's a way to get back some of that up-front cost of getting the systems in people's hands. When I hear people compare it to PC I always think, well Steam didn't help me with buying my gpu. Pretty BS for Nintendo though since they don't sell their consoles at any loss AFAIK.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I'm fine with it on Playstation and XBox since Sony and Microsoft subsidize the costs of the hardware and that's a way to get back some of that up-front cost of getting the systems in people's hands. When I hear people compare it to PC I always think, well Steam didn't help me with buying my gpu. Pretty BS for Nintendo though since they don't sell their consoles at any loss AFAIK.
I haven't bothered to check this generation, but the last generation was not sold at a loss by either Sony or Microsoft.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I haven't bothered to check this generation, but the last generation was not sold at a loss by either Sony or Microsoft.

The PS4 was. Now the loss may not have been that much. Both of them got a really good deal from AMD that gen.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
No, it wasn't. Perhaps during 200 dollar Black Friday sales, but that is it.

The quote I remember was something like "... yeah but if they buy a game or two we are profitable at that point". Obviously if you buy a console you're probably buying at least that.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
LOL Microsoft doubled their XBL prices for ... no reason at all.

It's not $60 for 6 months and you can't buy a full year (once current inventory is gone).

This is clearly all a ploy to get people on Gamepass Ultimate and make it look like a better deal than XBL alone now.

Wow that is a ballsy move by MS. We will see how it plays out.

Game pass was already the better deal anyway. I’m surprised they even offer XBL separately any longer.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The thing is many of us converted our live gold subs to game pass ultimate for $1 so we are kinda screwed now. I did this and my ultimate is still good until June 2022. I rarely use my xbox one S and I gave my nephew my old xbox one and let him use the sub. Up until now I was using microsoft rewards points to keep the sub up but it's going to be impossible since they raised the price.

Imagine being one of the first ones to get an xbox series x and you find out a month or two later that the price to play online just doubled.

Imagine playing about 30 games you never played before and having access to a hundred or so
More even many on PC with cross save for $1 and then bitching about it

I’m one of those day one series x owners and do not regret gamepass at all. In fact I’ve played hundreds of dollars worth of games across pc and Xbox. Including games I would have never bought. A lot of the games are enhanced for series x too so I’m playing them in a state that is better than I’d ever have experienced on an Xbox one.

Last edited:
Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Imagine playing about 30 games you never played before and having access to a hundred or so

I’m one of those day one series x owners and do not regret gamepass at all. In fact I’ve played hundreds of dollars worth of games across pc and Xbox. Including games I would have never bought. A lot of the games are enhanced for series x too so I’m playing them in a state that is better than I’d ever have experienced on an Xbox one.

Same here. Picked up 3 years gold for cheap and flipped it to GPU until Feb 2024. I’ll figure it out then.

Heck, even started Bloodstained again last night. Own it on the Switch as a KS backer but performance sucks so bad. Got to the last boss with all the worthwhile shards farmed to max, beat some secret bosses but just didn’t go back to it to finish it. It runs soooo much better on Xbox, and. O way would I have paid for it twice!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Game pass was already the better deal anyway. I’m surprised they even offer XBL separately any longer.
Do you also think the PS5 disc version is a better deal than the PS5 digital version for someone who's only going to be purchasing digital games?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Anytime I see an xbox ultimate game pass cards go for $20-30 for the 3 month cards, I buy a few of them. For black friday I got 3 of them for $20 each. These are on sale much less often than psn cards.

I don't even play online with xbox so I just use the gamepass feature to get back into MS Flight 2020 on pc or for example if a game like the Medium is out, I'll activate one of the cards to play it since that title will be on gamepass. In the meantime I will probably check out other games I've never played or thought about buying.

I would say the digital PS5 is not something you would go for if you want to save money. Sure you spend $100 less in the beginning, but then you are stuck paying full price on PSN for titles if you are the type to want to play the latest games when they come out. You also can't trade or sell your games once you are done. Not to mention you always have to redownload a whole game when you uninstall it.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008

You might want to go back and re-read my posts. I'm clearly 'not bitching' about the $1 convert. I was complaining about how it removed me and others from keeping the grandfathered live gold price had it actually changed ($60 versus $120).

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Anytime I see an xbox ultimate game pass cards go for $20-30 for the 3 month cards, I buy a few of them. For black friday I got 3 of them for $20 each. These are on sale much less often than psn cards.

I don't even play online with xbox so I just use the gamepass feature to get back into MS Flight 2020 on pc or for example if a game like the Medium is out, I'll activate one of the cards to play it since that title will be on gamepass. In the meantime I will probably check out other games I've never played or thought about buying.

I would say the digital PS5 is not something you would go for if you want to save money. Sure you spend $100 less in the beginning, but then you are stuck paying full price on PSN for titles if you are the type to want to play the latest games when they come out. You also can't trade or sell your games once you are done. Not to mention you always have to redownload a whole game when you uninstall it.

We discovered our local library has a ton of Xbox One games that can be borrowed. Given how well BC works, it makes it easy to check out something old but new to my family.

I think the fact that PS4 Digital is not cut down as much as the Series S and the fact that *maybe* you'll be able to add a NVME expansion drive in a year or so for $80 and nearly triple the space (~600 GB to 1.6GB) makes it a lot different value prop. That and the fact that the PS4 seems to be a console of exclusives - if you are the type of older gamer that is really only going to be playing 1-3 annual exclusives and hoards the game discs anyway (me), well, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Myself I don't see how giving up so much flexibility is worth $100 that will be mostly recouped if you ever sell it, but that's not how some of my friends who were on digital only hunts felt.