Xbox Series X

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Gears 5 DLC is getting some good buzz, and it looks amazing from the screenshots I have seen. Included with Gamepass Ultimate, otherwise it is $20. Only 3 or 4 hrs from what I have read, not sure it would be worth it to buy. Will try it out this weekend when I have more time to game.

Playing through Jedi Falling Order now, real shame they didn't update it for Series, the Kashyyk intro cutscene was super jerky (seemed like it was dropping frames). Game is slow enough that the 4K/30fps doesn't bother me too much. Quick resume has worked well for me with this, launches in about 5-10 seconds, until the game crashed on me and I had to go through all the dumb splash screens again. :(

The new gears 5 DLC is arguably the best looking game on any console right now.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I put some more time into Gears 5 the other night. Game is pretty great but Act 2 is dragging on and them thinking they needed to do open world cause every other game is doing it really was unnecessary.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I put some more time into Gears 5 the other night. Game is pretty great but Act 2 is dragging on and them thinking they needed to do open world cause every other game is doing it really was unnecessary.

Yeah and I kind of skipped a lot of the exploring they offered. Didn’t go to any optional areas at all. There are actually 3 skiff sections of the game and yes it does artificially lengthen the campaign.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah and I kind of skipped a lot of the exploring they offered. Didn’t go to any optional areas at all. There are actually 3 skiff sections of the game and yes it does artificially lengthen the campaign.
I went to all of the optional spots of course lol.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, I've played a lot more Immortals at this point (I've got around 55 hours in the game), and I think the most frustrating aspect of the game would be the heavy reliance upon physics puzzles. The problem is that when you allow too much variance, it's easy for the puzzle to not work even though the player executed it correctly. For example, there was one puzzle where I had to complete an objective to cause a floor to drop away, which dropped a block onto a pressure pad. The problem is that the block fell and landed at an awkward angle causing it to fall onto the edge of the pressure pad. Since the block wasn't fully on the pad, it didn't apply all of it's weight, and the pressure pad didn't trigger. It took me a few minutes of picking up and dropping just to get it to land in an acceptable spot (the block in a fenced-off area, so I couldn't just go in and fix it).

Although, on the flip side, since the game has a heavy reliance upon physics in puzzles, that means you can also cheat the puzzles. For example, I was doing a three-skull difficulty (highest difficulty) Vault of Tartarus last night that involved getting large wooden balls onto these activation pads. Once you enter the vault, there's an activation pad across a slight gap, and then across another slight gap, there's the first wooden ball. Now, you're supposed to take the ball all the way around up to the top left (and I think the process involves multiple balls being added in) just to get to that first activation pad. Well, if you have upgraded Hephaestus's hammer to have the charge ability, you can charge the hammer and punt wooden balls across gaps. (There's actually a different vault dedicated to doing this.) So, rather than do it the hard way, I just punted the ball backwards -- it took a try or two since it can be hard to know where you're going to hit it -- and I was able to ignore half of the puzzle.

I think the one thing that I would've wanted to see more of in the game would be item variety. The problem is that there are very few actual weapons in the game, and they're not all that interesting. The major difference between them is specific perks, and at least in my opinion, most perks aren't that good. Also, the game really, really needs the ability to save gear sets, because it just takes too long to keep swapping between items, and also visual customizations. This is especially the case when you get the Phosphor skin that makes it so when you kill an enemy while in Stealth, you remain in Stealth. If you combine that with the Lion helm, which lets you deal more damage to an undamaged enemy, I can kill just about any small to medium enemy with a sneak attack. However, when I'm not doing that, I'd like to switch to the helm that gives me a chance to deal triple damage.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Huh? It’s probably the best looking racing game out there.
I'm not sure I've ever really noticed. I'm not someone that enjoys watching other people play games that much, and when I'm playing I'm normally paying attention to everything going on with the game itself. Also, I think racing games get boring really quick, but YMMV

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I agree.

And it's still boring to look at.

Don’t get that. How can it be great looking but also boring to look at?

Boring to play ok but you didn’t say that.

I'm not sure I've ever really noticed. I'm not someone that enjoys watching other people play games that much, and when I'm playing I'm normally paying attention to everything going on with the game itself. Also, I think racing games get boring really quick, but YMMV

It’s super easy to see the reflections and such when playing a game dunno what you’re talking about.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Don’t get that. How can it be great looking but also boring to look at?

Boring to play ok but you didn’t say that.

It’s super easy to see the reflections and such when playing a game dunno what you’re talking about.

I'm normally focusing on staying on the road, but again.. YMMV

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I'm normally focusing on staying on the road, but again.. YMMV

Forza Horizon is very fun/relaxing game that is very nice to look at, similar to how I feel about Flight Simulator. Staying on the road is purely optional in Horizon. :) I personally don't think it is boring, but to each their own. Driving around random places at 200+ MPH then jumping off a ramp is quite entertaining to me.

Forza Motorsport I just don't get into as I am not that big on actual racing.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Forza Horizon is very fun/relaxing game that is very nice to look at, similar to how I feel about Flight Simulator. Staying on the road is purely optional in Horizon. :) I personally don't think it is boring, but to each their own. Driving around random places at 200+ MPH then jumping off a ramp is quite entertaining to me.

Forza Motorsport I just don't get into as I am not that big on actual racing.

I think the big draw for Forza Motorsport is the competitive aspect of online play. Getting the perfect lap through proper tuning adjustment etc.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I prefer a good game over a pretty game but in the case of racing sims a big part of the fun is nice looking terrain. Forza Horizon was set in the mountains of Colorado and its quite lovely.
Forza Horizon 2 is on the border of Italy and France. It has gorgeous rolling hills with vineyards and old world buildings.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
LOL Microsoft doubled their XBL prices for ... no reason at all.

It's not $60 for 6 months and you can't buy a full year (once current inventory is gone).

This is clearly all a ploy to get people on Gamepass Ultimate and make it look like a better deal than XBL alone now.

Wow that is a ballsy move by MS. We will see how it plays out.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
LOL Microsoft doubled their XBL prices for ... no reason at all.

It's not $60 for 6 months and you can't buy a full year (once current inventory is gone).

This is clearly all a ploy to get people on Gamepass Ultimate and make it look like a better deal than XBL alone now.

Wow that is a ballsy move by MS. We will see how it plays out.
This has been known or suspected for quite some time. They are eventually moving everyone to Gamepass. It's not "no reason at all", you even say this is clearly to move people to Ultimate.

Check out post #432 from Oct. 5th of last year, in this very thread. I said they are probably moving Live over to Ultimate long term. We had a conversation about it.

<insert fake surprised/shock here> "LOL" :rolleyes:

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Well, that's the corporate dream. Consumers own nothing. They only can rent. MS would love nothing more than to squeeze 3rd parties out and turn gaming into an expensive subscription service.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
The Live Gold price increase/doubling is disturbing. Especially if you still won't be able to keep the xbox one games. I did see next month they have 6 games instead of the four.

Hopefully folks move to playstation and they reverse course.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
The Live Gold price increase/doubling is disturbing. Especially if you still won't be able to keep the xbox one games. I did see next month they have 6 games instead of the four.

Hopefully folks move to playstation and they reverse course.
No one's forcing you to pay for Gold.