Xbox Series X

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Camped GameStop before 8am. They got 3 Series X and 2 series S. Me and two other guys were the only ones there until around 9:30 and after everyone heard the X was gone they left. Nobody wanted the S. I’m sure they will sell them today but I thought there would be a little interest in it for $300. I think everyone who showed up was a hardcore gamer and wanted to get the X. Anyway I got an X. Wanted a pa5 but at least I got something. Ps5 I’ll still hunt down at some point.

You went and stood in line at store to pre-order a console? Never heard of anyone doing that, lol.

Got mine from Walmart.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You went and stood in line at store to pre-order a console? Never heard of anyone doing that, lol.

Got mine from Walmart.
You are clearly new to consoles then lol.

I camped out for PS2 in line at Target from like 12:30am until 8am when they opened. My buddy and I were #27 and #28 in line and they had 30 of them.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
You are clearly new to consoles then lol.

I camped out for PS2 in line at Target from like 12:30am until 8am when they opened. My buddy and I were #27 and #28 in line and they had 30 of them.

Over TWENTY years ago. Nope, I've been gaming since the early 80s. I really don't game much anymore. I moved on to bigger/better toys for the most part. :D This is more for the kids.

That said, I haven't stood in any lines (for gaming) since before the Xbox 360 pre-order. Got that through Amazon and never looked back. You can order online far easier and you're not standing around in a line.

avatars-000299116382-heyct3-original.jpg

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Got mine from Walmart.

Yeah and that’s how everyone did it years ago. Online is a mess I know I wouldn’t get one that way. Lots of people had issues with websites again just like ps5. I knew for 100% fact if I was the first one at the store I couldn’t be denied lol

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I snaggged 2 at target, didn't realize I got the first one as the cart kept crashing out, at some point an order went through. I cancelled the 2nd one.

Tried for Best Buy as I would rather do Store Pickup as package delivery has been a bit of a mess this year to my place, mainly UPS being crap (delivering signature required items by just dumping them). Never could check out, not sure if they are OOS now or what, says coming soon again.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Yeah and that’s how everyone did it years ago. Online is a mess I know I wouldn’t get one that way. Lots of people had issues with websites again just like ps5. I knew for 100% fact if I was the first one at the store I couldn’t be denied lol
I know, I was teasing. I should have said "I haven't heard of anyone doing that in years...". Glad you got one.

Can't get a PS5 so far. Sony really screwed the pooch with that stupid unannounced release. Completely idiotic.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I just got another one at Amazon. I'll probably cancel my targret order if no friends want it since it's not launch day arrival, plus I still am on the fence about keeping it lol.

I don't think I've ever pre-ordered a console through Target. Do they really not ship the product ahead of time like... pretty much everyone else? I do get the benefit of 5% off through Target though, so at least that's a plus.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I know, I was teasing. I should have said "I haven't heard of anyone doing that in years...". Glad you got one.

Can't get a PS5 so far. Sony really screwed the pooch with that stupid unannounced release. Completely idiotic.
Eh the MS preorders have been just as much of a debacle as the PS5 ones were, and we knew when those were happening. Every site had the exact same problem that they had with PS5 preorders. And they knew the demand would be high too.

Even ordering on Microsoft.com was a debacle. Out of all the places you'd think that one would be flawless but nope.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Eh the MS preorders have been just as much of a debacle as the PS5 ones were, and we knew when those were happening. Every site had the exact same problem that they had with PS5 preorders. And they knew the demand would be high too.

Even ordering on Microsoft.com was a debacle. Out of all the places you'd think that one would be flawless but nope.

Even Sony admitted their launch was a debacle, lol. I have to agree with quikah that you can tell there is some bias going on in this thread.

They didn't give fans any real notice about the pre-sale. Sites were selling the system a day before the pre-launch. Guess what? That means that stock was ALREADY depleted by people who saw this flaw and was able to purchase it, before the actual pre-order window!!!! Overloaded servers. Items probably being sent late.

"To add more chaos to the pre-order mess, Amazon reported on Friday that people who did secure pre-orders might still see delays in getting their consoles."

I tried to order the PS5 (still trying!) and was never able to. I was able to order from MS and Walmart. I had Target, Best Buy and Gamestop tabs open as well, but there was no need. That's not to say it went smooth, but Sony's idiotic launch was far worse.

It's one thing to have server overload for demand, but Sony completely and utterly screwed up that launch and they even admit it. Even if you won't.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

Even Sony admitted their launch was a debacle, lol. I have to agree with quikah that you can tell there is some bias going on in this thread.

They didn't give fans any real notice about the pre-sale. Sites were selling the system a day before the pre-launch. Guess what? That means that stock was ALREADY depleted by people who saw this flaw and was able to purchase it, before the actual pre-order window!!!! Overloaded servers. Items probably being sent late.

"To add more chaos to the pre-order mess, Amazon reported on Friday that people who did secure pre-orders might still see delays in getting their consoles."

I tried to order the PS5 (still trying!) and was never able to. I was able to order from MS and Walmart. I had Target, Best Buy and Gamestop tabs open as well, but there was no need.

It's one thing to have server overload for demand, but Sony completely and utterly screwed up that launch and they even admit it. Even if you won't.
I know they did I posted that in the Sony thread. How does what Sony did have anything to do with how the Xbox preorders went? It doesn't, at all. The preorders for PS5 were a debacle too. Who said elsewise?

Not sure what my comment has to do about bias. I preordered 3 PS5's and had experience with all the sites except Amazon because I was sleeping, but that is the only one that went off without a hitch once they were live.

I also have been following the Xbox launch and have 3 Series X preordered from different sites and it has been a debacle this morning.

Amazon nor Best Buy put theirs up for sale at 11am. Microsoft, Gamestop, Walmart, and Target did. Target's website you would press preorder and it would do nothing. I pressed preorder like 10 times and finally it did something and I was in checkout. Then clicking placing order and nothing would happen either. Finally it worked. If you are paying attention, Target seemed to work the best at 11am.

Walmart it would add to cart and you go to check out and get an error. That happened with the PS5 but on my 3rd time clicking "place order" it worked. With Xbox Series X it never workied after like 10 tries then it was out of stock.

Microsoft store I was in checkout after it taking like 15 minutes to get there, then on the review screen it didn't load any data. Then for like 45 minutes their site kept throwing 503 errors. Finally I could get into my cart and even though it had the little 1 icon over it, it said I had nothing in my cart. Then around like 1pm I could load the site and they were all gone.

Gamestop I didn't even bother because it kept timing out and heard they were pushing bundles hard.

Then at 11:55am Amazon went live out of nowhere. Prior to that they had an Xbox One store page that kept error'ing then would show info, but never had links to the item. I found a link to the item in search results around 11:30am and kept refreshing it, then randomly at 11:55am it worked and 2 seconds later I had a preorder.

Then like 3 minutes later Best Buy went "live" and you would be lucky to get it into your cart without it erroring. After about 20 minutes I was on the very last screen wehre you click "place your order" and it kept erroring. And then it would do nothing when you clicked the button. Then it would error. It did that until 1pm and then it said it was out of stock and next thing you know my cart was empty. From reading forums like no one got one at Best Buy at that time.

Then about 15 minutes ago randomly I refreshed Best Buy and it had the preorder button. But if you click it it gave errors again. I randomly tried doing in store pickup and pressed preorder but got an error, then pressed it 2 more times and it finally went through and then from then on the checkout process was just fine.

So I think I know a thing or two about how the preorders went with Xbox Series X. Hell the MS one may be even worse because they knew what time they were planning to do this at and still had all these issues. Microsoft.com having issues is inexcusable though. Sony's "queue" system going directly through them was also a shit show. And other than that, neither Sony nor Microsoft has anything to do with any of these big retailers issues while taking preorders. They don't write the software for their websites.

What was your experience with it?

Last edited:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Finally got Best Buy to work. Will give it a day or 2 then cancel my Target order so I can do Store Pickup at BB, don't trust FedEx/UPS.

Preorder mess is kind of expected, these stores don't build their pages for this type of traffic. The issue with the PS5 preorder was that it was a surprise, if you didn't follow social media you would be SOL as Sony announced the pre-orders was the next day, but they all went live the same day. That was a huge fail on their part.

Reactions: foghorn67

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
After a lot of refreshes, button mashing, site crashes, carts emptied, I finally got a pre-order in for an X at Best Buy. Now I contemplate the expected hassle of a PS5 between now and the end of the year or just wait until next year.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I know they did I posted that in the Sony thread. How does what Sony did have anything to do with how the Xbox preorders went? It doesn't, at all.

What was your experience with it?

Everything you mentioned was specific to the retailers. MS can't control their website inventory and bandwidth issues. They simply aren't prepared for the onslaught in most cases.

What MS could control, is not waiting until less than 24hrs before the pre-order launch to tell anyone. Then having retailers sell units before the release date. That's really Sony's fault because they obviously didn't give retailers any notice or rules.

Notice how MS didn't have either of those problems? Of course, they both have supply/demand issues and overloaded servers.

So is Sony more to blame for their pitiful launch plan? I would certainly say so.

I had no problems with MS and Walmart. I started 5mins before 10am and went for it. I did click on Gamestop, but it put you into a queue page and I never went back to it since I got my orders in. Didn't bother with Target or Amazon.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Everything you mentioned was specific to the retailers. MS can't control their website inventory and bandwidth issues. They simply aren't prepared for the onslaught in most cases.

What MS could control, is not waiting until less than 24hrs before the pre-order launch to tell anyone. Then having retailers sell units before the release date. That's really Sony's fault because they obviously didn't give retailers any notice or rules.

Notice how MS didn't have either of those problems? Of course, they both have supply/demand issues and overloaded servers.

So is Sony more to blame for their pitiful launch plan? I would certainly say so.

I had no problems with MS and Walmart. I started 5mins before 10am and went for it. I did click on Gamestop, but it put you into a queue page and I never went back to it since I got my orders in. Didn't bother with Target or Amazon.
Yes I know the bolded - I just said that.

Both of these preorder launches sucked. It's like comparing who's shit stinks less. Either way it stinks.

The Sony one sucked because they didn't give a specific time but once the cat was out of the bag pretty much every site put em up at the same time. It's not like you had to go searching for days to find one. It was like a span of 2-3 hours.

Which is exactly what you had to do for the Xbox launch. They were pretty much identical in how poorly it all went off and it had nothing to really do with either of the companies but the websites not handling the traffic.

One of them was just spur of the moment one was planned. Either way they both sucked and wasted 2-3 hours of time if you didn't get lucky and get one immediately.

You just sound kind of mad you didn't get a PS5 when they went up for preorder. Pretty much anybody who had been paying attention knew that they were going to go up that night after their final PS5 "conference" revealing the date and price. Sure they did not officially announce it but people in the industry were talking about that happening and what do you know, it did.

Would it really have mattered if at the end of their conference Sony said "preorder your PS5 tonight" ? Nope it wouldn't have - still would have been a shit show.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006

The debacle in the PS5 was the short notice on when the pre-orders was live and that warning was only hours. I was expecting to get emailed on when the live date was. I don't go to each retailer to check on the news. I just happened to be watching a live stream of MP gameplay when someone mentioned it already was happening.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The debacle in the PS5 was the short notice on when the pre-orders was live and that warning was only hours. I was expecting to get emailed on when the live date was. I don't go to each retailer to check on the news. I just happened to be watching a live stream of MP gameplay when someone mentioned it already was happening.
Sure, that is part of it, preaching to the choir here. But that wasn't all of it being a "debacle" and I think Sony's tweet just referred to the whole thing as a whole not just the fact it was short notice.

But really the only people complaining about it are the ones who missed out. Plenty of us knew it was coming and were ready for it.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Yes I know the bolded - I just said that.

Both of these preorder launches sucked. It's like comparing who's shit stinks less. Either way it stinks.

The Sony one sucked because they didn't give a specific time but once the cat was out of the bag pretty much every site put em up at the same time. It's not like you had to go searching for days to find one. It was like a span of 2-3 hours.

Which is exactly what you had to do for the Xbox launch. They were pretty much identical in how poorly it all went off and it had nothing to really do with either of the companies but the websites not handling the traffic.

One of them was just spur of the moment one was planned. Either way they both sucked and wasted 2-3 hours of time if you didn't get lucky and get one immediately.

You just sound kind of mad you didn't get a PS5 when they went up for preorder. Pretty much anybody who had been paying attention knew that they were going to go up that night after their final PS5 "conference" revealing the date and price. Sure they did not officially announce it but people in the industry were talking about that happening and what do you know, it did.

Would it really have mattered if at the end of their conference Sony said "preorder your PS5 tonight" ? Nope it wouldn't have - still would have been a shit show.

You're thinking is so fundamentally flawed, it's almost not worth responding. I don't even think you understand what you are saying half the time.

"It's not like you had to go searching for days to find one. It was like a span of 2-3 hours."

"Which is exactly what you had to do for the Xbox launch. "

You are so wrong. I'm sorry, but people who aren't avid gamers and sitting around watching for a pre-order to launch in LESS than 24hrs were TOTALLY screwed. Some of us have lives and can't sit around trying to guess when Sony might open pre-orders. So, yes, having 2-3 days to prepare and be aware that it was going on sale would have been a great help to us who don't follow this 24/7. It's completely ridiculous what they did. Have you ever actually worked in Marketing or Communications? Do you know anything about the customer experience?

At least with Microsoft, I knew about it before hand and I had a browser window open with all of the sites that TONS of articles listed to prepare people to purchase! So no, the experience is completely different. And, guess what? I was able to easily order a console for both of my kids with no problem! But, I mean, it's not because I was prepared and knew it was happening and they weren't already sold out at most places because they were released early due to piss poor communications and planning on Microsoft parts. NOPE!

Microsoft execution on preparing and communicating was far superior to Sony. I don't even know how you can sit here and argue differently.

I'm not upset at all that I don't have a PS5 pre-order. I'll won't be hard to get one between now and Christmas. At least I'm not a total jerk hoarding multiple consoles from different sites for no good reason. I mean, there are people like that who ruin it for others trying to legit get one. It's like ticket scalping.

Sorry you don't see the problem from a normal person's perspective.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
But really the only people complaining about it are the ones who missed out. Plenty of us knew it was coming and were ready for it.

Well, yeah... that's because the times were completely messed up. I heard that it was going on sale on the 17th, so I figured "Okay, 17th ... so most likely 12AM EST." (If you give me just a date, I'm going to assume it's 12AM on that day.) Since I'm in Central, I checked at 11 PM, and found that most retailers had already sold out by that point. The biggest problem with Microsoft's release was that Amazon and Best Buy didn't adhere to the 8AM PST release time.

So, I mean... ultimately, the fault is on the retailers in both cases for not following what the company stated. Sony said the 17th, but retailers put it up ahead of time. Microsoft stated the 22nd at 8AM, and Amazon was nearly an hour late. Although, I do think that Sony should've been more specific about when on the 17th. Nvidia made the same mistake of stating that the 3080 would go on sale on the 17th, but they gave no time. In that case, it wasn't available until 6AM PST.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!

"Sony has clarified its PS5 pre-order plans and insisted that it will provide plenty of notice for fans hoping to secure the next-gen system when it's released later this year."

But I guess you are fine that Sony specifically said they WOULD NOT do a surprise pre-order. Then they turn around and do exactly that. Screwing over a bunch of fans.

Nope, not a debacle, at all. They said this in July and then August!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Sony said it was going to be the day AFTER their show. Then people in the industry said stores were going to release it that evening. Then one store did it that evening. Then they all started to follow suit.

Blame Sony if you want but it's not their fault the stores started selling early.

I personally don't give a shit and both preorders were a debacle but I managed to get 3 of each console so I'm good. Uou all keep crying.

I didn't preorder that video card that just came out too but everyone is saying it was a debacle too even though they knew the date those preorders were becoming available.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Yeah and the fact that amazon sold out through a backdoor link before the system even went live on the site and you competed against bots to even get one was pretty ridiculous. It’s clear that the online only system doesn’t really work for the sheer amount of traffic the sites get all at once. There were people reporting they tried to pay and then it emptied the cart out and then was sold out. Just like ps5. I’m actually shocked some here managed to get more than one.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
LOL, you're in some serious denial.
"I disagree with you so you are in denial!"

Okay whatever makes you feel good.

Yeah and the fact that amazon sold out through a backdoor link before the system even went live on the site and you competed against bots to even get one was pretty ridiculous. It’s clear that the online only system doesn’t really work for the sheer amount of traffic the sites get all at once. There were people reporting they tried to pay and then it emptied the cart out and then was sold out. Just like ps5. I’m actually shocked some here managed to get more than one.
This is flat out false. Many people on CAG got them when the link went live. I got one myself when it went live. I added it to my cart and checked out like any item I'd buy on Amazon. So did a bunch of people in my IRC channel.

oB9A30l.png

Many of them also got PS5's on Amazon. I went to sleep at like 11pm that night and they went live around 11:30pm I believe so I missed out on it at Amazon. But I got it elsewhere so I'm good.

The problems you are talking about with carts emptying out happened though. I had that happen on Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and Microsoft site.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
"I disagree with you so you are in denial!"

Okay whatever makes you feel good.

This is flat out false. Many people on CAG got them when the link went live. I got one myself when it went live. I added it to my cart and checked out like any item I'd buy on Amazon. So did a bunch of people in my IRC channel.

oB9A30l.png

Many of them also got PS5's on Amazon. I went to sleep at like 11pm that night and they went live around 11:30pm I believe so I missed out on it at Amazon. But I got it elsewhere so I'm good.

The problems you are talking about with carts emptying out happened though. I had that happen on Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and Microsoft site.

People were using links on amazon to add the item to cart when you couldn’t search it on the actual site. By the time I found the link, it was all gone. It really did happen. Supposedly an insider leaked it out. Whether amazon shut that down and then rolled out the usual way I don’t know.