Xbox One games at E3 were running on Geforce/Win7

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
All I know is I want to get my hands on whatever software they were using to "emulate" the Xbox One on a PC. :p

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
All I know is I want to get my hands on whatever software they were using to "emulate" the Xbox One on a PC. :p

Since the games now also use the x86 instruction set, its probably just sophisticated DRM that interfaces with a hardware something or other. Perhaps in this case, the DRM is disabled, or, they have a USB key that provides authentication.

This saga does make me think of something else though. Didnt MS say that Xbox One programmers could make use of custom APIs which allowed for closer to the metal access than DX11 allows?

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
How do you know are not just the PC ports of those games?

Games are still in development (many still in the creation phase) so unlikely to be ports (which are generally done after the game has been completely written).

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Games are still in development (many still in the creation phase) so unlikely to be ports (which are generally done after the game has been completely written).

That was the case last gen because the hardware was very different.

In the case of XBone, the hardware is nearly the same. It may be as simple as recompiling without the DRM stuff to lock the XBox version to an XBox.

hyrule4927

Feb 9, 2012
That was the case last gen because the hardware was very different.

In the case of XBone, the hardware is nearly the same. It may be as simple as recompiling without the DRM stuff to lock the XBox version to an XBox.

Wishful thinking I am sure, but if there is a way to "crack" next-gen console games to run on PC, I see good times ahead for PC gaming. :biggrin:

galego

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2013

This makes little sense. What you say would work with previous console hardware because were very different, but porting a game from PC to current consoles and the other way is effortless for this gen. Epic ported a demo optimized for PC hardware and added new stuff (as extended scenes not available on the PC version) in a pair of weeks. A direct port of the a PC game would take few days.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
saw this pic on off topic :D

MEjiHQt.jpg

Siberian

Jul 10, 2012
Care to elaborate?

1, Why is it a huge fail for Intel?
2, Why is it a huge fail for the gaming partners?
3, Why is it especially a huge fail for AMD?

Edit: ...and please include sources where applicable. ;)
It is certainly embarassing for AMD. I wonder why they did not want to use Radeon cards.

Greenlepricon

Aug 1, 2012
It is certainly embarassing for AMD. I wonder why they did not want to use Radeon cards.

Nvidia currently has the best gpu's on the market, and they want the smoothest/most impressive experience when they're showing off at e3. It makes sense to me.

galego

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2013
Nvidia currently has the best gpu's on the market, and they want the smoothest/most impressive experience when they're showing off at e3. It makes sense to me.

Agree, there is nothing smoothest and impressive experience than a crash :sneaky:

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012

i'm sorry but what rock have you been under. Nvidia does not have the best GPU's on the market and doesn't deliver a better experience than AMD as there about even when using single GPU's.

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010

i'm sorry but what rock have you been under. Nvidia does not have the best GPU's on the market and doesn't deliver a better experience than AMD as there about even when using single GPU's.

Agree, there is nothing smoothest and impressive experience than a crash :sneaky:

Stay on topic, stop trolling, stop responding to trolls, or I'm locking the thread.
-- stahlhart

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010

Wut?

Nvidia is so far ahead they've created new price brackets for this generation. $650 and $1000

Look one post behind you.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Well, the game crashed...not the hardware. That's up to the developer to fix, not Nvidia if they don't plan on releasing it as a PC title.

May 13, 2009
These are lies. Once they code to metal it will be at least 2x stronger than a high end PC. John Carmack said so. It will obviously be 10 years ahead of pc gaming. John Carmack said this as well.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
These are lies. Once they code to metal it will be at least 2x stronger than a high end PC. John Carmack said so. It will obviously be 10 years ahead of pc gaming. John Carmack said this as well.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not heh.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Has anyone confirmed the specs? From the leaked images you can see the actual graphics card but the res is too small to make out the exact card, does anyone have higher resolution shots?

The simple fact is that the dev kits have existed for a long time now, in reality game developers need to be working on development hardware for a number of years to have titles ready for the console launch so dev kits are high end PCs.

They're probably using windows 7 over 8 because the development tools for the dev kits were made before windows 8 launched and since windows 7 and 8 are 99% the same anyway it doesn't provide benefit to update them, only headaches.

I'm not a fan of the Xbone in fact I kinda hope it falls on its face, but dev kits like this are just a fact of life, it's what happens behind the scenes, if the specs are roughly equivalent then great but they're probably not, lets not leave that to rumour though and try and determine whats in there.

Leadbox

Oct 25, 2010
If the game demo had fizzX in it and if it was being demoed on a pc then surely it would make sense to go with a geforce, no?

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Has anyone confirmed the specs? From the leaked images you can see the actual graphics card but the res is too small to make out the exact card, does anyone have higher resolution shots?

The simple fact is that the dev kits have existed for a long time now, in reality game developers need to be working on development hardware for a number of years to have titles ready for the console launch so dev kits are high end PCs.

They're probably using windows 7 over 8 because the development tools for the dev kits were made before windows 8 launched and since windows 7 and 8 are 99% the same anyway it doesn't provide benefit to update them, only headaches.

I'm not a fan of the Xbone in fact I kinda hope it falls on its face, but dev kits like this are just a fact of life, it's what happens behind the scenes, if the specs are roughly equivalent then great but they're probably not, lets not leave that to rumour though and try and determine whats in there.

Reportedly the PS4 demos were run on PS4 hardware, though.

Jonathan Blow said:
“It is not true as the article says that “all E3 demos run on hi-end PCs”... The Witness was running on PS4 dev hardware, and it looked to me like all the other PS4 games were running on dev kits as well.”

Dev hardware is the hardware that will be in the final retail box, but in a less consumer-oriented package.

All the indies I know were running on the PS4.

We worked very hard to get our game running on the actual PS4 hardware and operating system in time for the show. As did many other devs. That is kind of crazy considering consoles are supposed to be on the shelves with these games in 5-6 months.

During Microsoft’s press show I was impressed by how good the games looked given the console’s specs. But if they weren’t running on those specs then it becomes pretty questionable.

I actually don’t want XB1 to fail because we need competition to keep things healthy.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Reportedly the PS4 demos were run on PS4 hardware, though.

Sure, the PS4 is probably just further through its development pipeline than XBone is, at some point the hardware is finalized and devs are given a pre-release copy to test their games on the real deal.

Odds are that Microsoft aren't at the stage where they're handing out actual machines.

Honestly this is all a lot of fuss about nothing, as much as I'd like to hate on microsoft it's just par for the course, at some point the PS4 devs were no doubt working off similar dev kits which are essentially PCs, it's the reality we live in if we want games available on day 1, these games take like 3+ years to make...

Obviously lying about it, or using unreasonable specs in the devs kits to boost game graphics and frame rate is reprihensible, but do we have solid evidence of that? What hardware was the e3 stuff running on exactly, do we know for sure or are people just assuming it would be Nvidias top end GPUs?

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Sure, the PS4 is probably just further through its development pipeline than XBone is, at some point the hardware is finalized and devs are given a pre-release copy to test their games on the real deal.

Odds are that Microsoft aren't at the stage where they're handing out actual machines.

Honestly this is all a lot of fuss about nothing, as much as I'd like to hate on microsoft it's just par for the course, at some point the PS4 devs were no doubt working off similar dev kits which are essentially PCs, it's the reality we live in if we want games available on day 1, these games take like 3+ years to make...

Obviously lying about it, or using unreasonable specs in the devs kits to boost game graphics and frame rate is reprihensible, but do we have solid evidence of that? What hardware was the e3 stuff running on exactly, do we know for sure or are people just assuming it would be Nvidias top end GPUs?

We also don't know what the hardware needs to be in a PC to match the performance of a console. I would expect it would take higher spec'd equipment in a PC because of the extra overhead.