McGhostly

Jan 22, 2019
Installed two new and identical SSDs and went through BIOS to set up RAID 1. Completed setup and tried to boot with boot order UEFI Windows boot manager followed by UEFI BD/DVD. All others are disabled. My old boot drive is still plugged in and works when RAID is turned off. I am running Windows 10 Home on that boot drive.

My set-up is the X99A sli plus, a random 64 gb ssd, 16 gb of RAM, and an intel i7 6 core processor. Don’t think my storage drive matters, and I am running Windows 10 Home.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Just to clarify, you already have windows installed on another drive, and the 2 SSDs in RAID 1 are not going to be boot drives?

I believe the simple fix is to boot into safe mode with windows 10, in RAID mode in BIOS. This should work, though it will not work in normal boot. Once in safemode, windows will load the RAID driver and on restart should boot normally in RAID mode.

McGhostly

Jan 22, 2019
Just to clarify, you already have windows installed on another drive, and the 2 SSDs in RAID 1 are not going to be boot drives?

I believe the simple fix is to boot into safe mode with windows 10, in RAID mode in BIOS. This should work, though it will not work in normal boot. Once in safemode, windows will load the RAID driver and on restart should boot normally in RAID mode.
I am hoping to replace my current boot drive. My current boot drive is full, and I am replacing it with the two SSD’s in RAID 1. The current boot drive is Win 10 Home and won’t boot when the RAID is created. It is like it can’t find the boot files on the drive. I have noticed my drive designation (C: ) changes to D: when I create the RAID. Found that out trying to command prompt my way into Windows. I will try to get the driver through safe mode.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I have not used RAID in a while, and not on SSDs, but IIRC you will need to initialize the array first in the UEFI setup, and then install windows to the volume. You may need to have a USB drive with the RAID drivers ready on install.

It sounds to me like you are trying to install the RAID in windows, from your old drive. I don't think that is going to work.