Question x570 - W10 vs. W11

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
I'm still on W10 pro x64.
Wondering if the performance issues are still present in W11

With the expiration of another OS approaching, is it time for me to upgrade yet ?

W10 life cycle

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
W10 will live on until end of 2025, that's at least 2.5 years from now and Microsoft may extend EOL further as it did with W7/W8.

I'm fairly certain all W11 perf problems have been solved so that should no longer be an issue. The real issue is W11 usability. W11 does bring quite a bit of improvement over W10, for example file explorer finally has tabs, docking windows to sides of the screen has been greatly improved, it's easier to manage wifi/bluetooth/notifications. New context menu is a mixed bag, I actually find it better than W10, but the problem is that developers need to modify their apps to support it, that's not really on Microsoft, it's on individual app developers. Eventually all apps will start supporting new context menu, although it might take a while, 7zip developer outright said he doesn't care since he's still using W10, so that one will definitely take a while.... But as lots of people have said there are also a lot of negatives in W11, unable dock taskbar on the left side of the screen is a huge negative for me, unable to disable app grouping is also cons, the W11 start menu is a huge step back in usability as well. I have installed W11 on my new laptop to try out, it's fine on my laptop, but I'll stick with W10 on my primary desktop for now, maybe by 2025 Microsoft will fix outstanding W11 issues.
I went with Win11 for both my laptop and several desktops. I had an issue with my desktops, but the issue was with AMD. Once they fixed their chipset, I've been golden.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
X570 user here and never saw a reason to switch to Windows 11. Other than Win10 which brought DX12 and so forced itself on us, Win11 doesn’t bring anything substantial so it’s a safe skip for me. I generally hate switching OS or reinstalling it, so that’s another reason. It’s likely I will switch to Windows 12 when it’s out.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
X570 user here and never saw a reason to switch to Windows 11. Other than Win10 which brought DX12 and so forced itself on us, Win11 doesn’t bring anything substantial so it’s a safe skip for me. I generally hate switching OS or reinstalling it, so that’s another reason. It’s likely I will switch to Windows 12 when it’s out.
Yeah, but Win11 has more built in tracking spyware from MS - are you sure you don't want to miss out :p. I do like the new UI - after doing some tweaking.

• Haha
Reactions: Khanan

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
Yeah, but Win11 has more built in tracking spyware from MS - are you sure you don't want to miss out :p. I do like the new UI - after doing some tweaking.
I’m even glad they made Win11 so useless, best news to someone who hates switching OSes. They said at some point that Win10 was supposed to be like MacOS X (one OS forever, eternal updates) and then they disappointed me by not sticking to Windows 10. I find the new UI to be a ridiculous copy of MacOS btw ;)

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
There you go talking about stuff you don't know about.

21H2 was fine but, 22H2 made substantial changes and is an in place upgrade process.

The biggest deal with W11 is the hybrid cores are managed better than W10 as MSFT coded the internal to support the new CPU's from Intel. However, there are improvements on the AMD side as well.

Not anymore than other versions. The simplest option is just to block the DNS for MSFT and then it's a moot issue. This is a good idea beyond just the analytics to block their dumb updates they push out w/o verifying that they actually fix things and not break additional items. This has always been an issue though since the beginning of WU being introduced.

then they disappointed me by not sticking to Windows 10. I find the new UI to be a ridiculous copy of MacOS btw ;)
Yes, in some ways W11 mimics crApple but, there must have been some research done to make that appealing to mac users to switch over or be more comfortable when switching between home use and office use.

If you don' t want to deal with this between Appel / MSFT then use Linux and yo will have less to complain about.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017

21H2 was fine but, 22H2 made substantial changes and is an in place upgrade process.

The biggest deal with W11 is the hybrid cores are managed better than W10 as MSFT coded the internal to support the new CPU's from Intel. However, there are improvements on the AMD side as well.

Not anymore than other versions. The simplest option is just to block the DNS for MSFT and then it's a moot issue. This is a good idea beyond just the analytics to block their dumb updates they push out w/o verifying that they actually fix things and not break additional items. This has always been an issue though since the beginning of WU being introduced.

Yes, in some ways W11 mimics crApple but, there must have been some research done to make that appealing to mac users to switch over or be more comfortable when switching between home use and office use.

If you don' t want to deal with this between Appel / MSFT then use Linux and yo will have less to complain about.
Or just ignore me and leave me in peace, how about that? I don’t care about your opinions either way. One more time and I will take you on ignore anyway, come on do it. This guy has a axe to grind, and i don’t have the patience for this nonsense.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Or just ignore me and leave me in peace, how about that? I
Would be much easier to do if you weren't spouting off incorrect information about tech in the threads you're trying to contaminate.

I really don't care if you ignore me as then I can follow up and correct your non sense with proper info and facts w/o your snipes in return.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
Would be much easier to do if you weren't spouting off incorrect information about tech in the threads you're trying to contaminate.

I really don't care if you ignore me as then I can follow up and correct your non sense with proper info and facts w/o your snipes in return.
I don’t think that many people care about you, buddy. You were talking nonsense in the DDR4 vs DDR5 thread as well and nobody really cared about your opinion. :) That being said, goodbye. Get better

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Your nonsense raises a lot of red flags not to mention the inaccuracies of your content. Not to mention your account being dormant for 5 years and then the flood gates of posting opened in the past few days. Seems you have had a major change or hijacked an account. It doesn't matter though and you'll eventually calm down and catch onto how technology works if you read more than you type.

It's not a popularity contest either. It's about finding solutions to issues people have. Go back to whatever bridge you crawled out from under and just observe instead of trying to interact as it seems you didn't get the Rosetta package to be social. Or maybe you spent too much time on FB / reddit and are over compensating. It's also ok to be wrong as that's how you learn something new.

Reactions: CP5670

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I use 11 on a surface pro but am sticking to 10 on the desktop. There is no benefit to 11 for games and my custom dark theme for 10 doesn't fully work in 11. The UI changes are generally bad but can be reverted with third party tools. I'm also reading about issues with the Logitech LGS software which is needed for my G13 keypad.

To add to this, I found a good dark theme (BIB) and use Open Shell and ExplorerPatcher to revert the taskbar and context menu to the Windows 10 style. LGS also had an update that seems to fix the issue with that. I might try it on my desktop at this point. Eventually it will be needed to work properly with the new CPUs.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008

To be fair, you haven't listed any improvements for X570 users. If there are any, I would be curious to know them. I am sure most are aware of the better task scheduler with Intel P+E cores, but I fail to see any reason for anyone else to upgrade yet. At the moment, I see more negatives than positives, and even if it is a wash, that is not a particularly good reason to upgrade the OS.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
To be fair, you haven't listed any improvements for X570 users. If there are any, I would be curious to know them. I am sure most are aware of the better task scheduler with Intel P+E cores, but I fail to see any reason for anyone else to upgrade yet. At the moment, I see more negatives than positives, and even if it is a wash, that is not a particularly good reason to upgrade the OS.

It may matter for the new X3D processors. I was reading that there might be some kind of driver that tells the CPU what cores to use for what apps.

Reactions: Motostu

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
The 5800X3D won't have that issue, only the new 7900X3D and 7950X3D since they have 2 CCDs.
Hmm I could see that being a fix in Windows 11 for some of the CPUs with 3D cache. But probably just the dual CCD CPUs that have cores both with and without 3D cache. This is on AM5 though, I don't think we will get anything more for AM4.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Hmm I could see that being a fix in Windows 11 for some of the CPUs with 3D cache. But probably just the dual CCD CPUs that have cores both with and without 3D cache. This is on AM5 though, I don't think we will get anything more for AM4.
AMD has said they have been working with Microsoft for these new CPUs so there's definitely something needed to make sure that they work optimally.

Reactions: Shmee