X3320 (Q9300) and X3350 (Q9450) available!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tenax

Sep 8, 2001
np:) it's great news though regardless that the gigabyte will boot a quad..i had given up meself, but as ive often said, my ES quad B1 stepping maybe an oddity so take my experience with a grain of salt:)

ArizonaSteve

Dec 20, 2003
Awesome! Been waiting to jump on this for several months now. I have a feeling these are going to cost > $400 in a couple of weeks.

tenax

Sep 8, 2001
Originally posted by: TemjinGold
tenax: Is that without a bios update? I'd love to get one of these if I can get a board that can boot it w/o an update as I don't have another 775 cpu to boot it with.

here's what the guy at hforum said:

"I'm using the Gigabyte DS3P Rev 2.1 bios F3 with my X3350. It came with bios F1 but I upgraded to F3 while I still had my E6400."

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Aww oh well. I don't have another 775 cpu so I guess I'll have to pass. Thanks for the info tho.

tenax

Sep 8, 2001
yeah, that's the really sucky part of these new 45nm quads..you just don't know for sure if they will work out of the box..the mobo manufacturers really were behind on being ready with bioses..and still are. don't know what's with that but from someone who basically spent almost 200 bucks on a gigabyte board that was about a month past rma opportunity, i wasn't happy:)

sofarfrome

Apr 27, 2005
If you order a board today you should be fine. I just recieved a DFI LP LT P35 T2R that worked right out of the box for the 45nm CPUs. All X48, 780i, and 790i bords will too. As far as the X38 boards I would say it depends on when they were shipped to etailers, like the P35 board I bought.

jd28

Mar 22, 2008
Originally posted by: tenax
Originally posted by: TemjinGold
tenax: Is that without a bios update? I'd love to get one of these if I can get a board that can boot it w/o an update as I don't have another 775 cpu to boot it with.

here's what the guy at hforum said:

"I'm using the Gigabyte DS3P Rev 2.1 bios F3 with my X3350. It came with bios F1 but I upgraded to F3 while I still had my E6400."
That's me, and it works great. I now have it running at 3.2ghz and it's not having any issues. Gigabyte's website said the 45nm support was added in bios F3, so I wouldn't count on this board working out of the box unless they've starting shipping them with the new bios.

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
Another week, anther round of breathless anticipation :)

NewEgg has OEM Q9300s. Nothing else yet.

NCIX (U.S.) has the Xeon-labeled 9300s, 9450s and 9550s all in Retail boxes, all in stock. Higher prices.

Nothing at Frys or Buy.com.

JonJ

Mar 25, 2008
I'm really struggling to understand whether these are differences between a Q9450 and an X3350. I've read that there is no difference other than the name, but I've also read posts where users go to great lengths to demonstrate that they behave the same way. If they're the same other than the name, why would anyone want to do that?

Is it all marketing hype - to make the server market believe that they are getting something specific? Or are are there some subtle difference that will affect the performance depending upon the application?

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: JonJ
I'm really struggling to understand whether these are differences between a Q9450 and an X3350. I've read that there is no difference other than the name, but I've also read posts where users go to great lengths to demonstrate that they behave the same way. If they're the same other than the name, why would anyone want to do that?

Is it all marketing hype - to make the server market believe that they are getting something specific? Or are are there some subtle difference that will affect the performance depending upon the application?

Even if there were some incredibly slight differences, they would be just that: incredibly slight; a non-factor.

Many of us more experienced CPU buyers have been getting Opterons or Xeon for years & years now, as they offer an alternative to the mainstream, sometimes for less, sometimes more, sometimes argued to be better overclockers, sometimes argued to be the same.

One thing's for sure, they certainly are no worse than the Core 2 or Athlon equivalent.

The reason there's so much conflicting info is because there's really no info on this at all.
Neither AMD nor Intel have come out & stated they are the same thing...why would they.
That would cut into their profits, not something they want happening.

I will say there's no reason to be scared of getting a Xeon or Opteron instead...many people have done it before; it's nothing new ;)

JonJ

Mar 25, 2008
Originally posted by: n7

Even if there were some incredibly slight differences, they would be just that: incredibly slight; a non-factor.

Many of us more experienced CPU buyers have been getting Opterons or Xeon for years & years now, as they offer an alternative to the mainstream, sometimes for less, sometimes more, sometimes argued to be better overclockers, sometimes argued to be the same.

One thing's for sure, they certainly are no worse than the Core 2 or Athlon equivalent.

The reason there's so much conflicting info is because there's really no info on this at all.
Neither AMD nor Intel have come out & stated they are the same thing...why would they.

I will say there's no reason to be scared of getting a Xeon or Opteron instead...many people have done it before; it's nothing new ;)

Thanks for such a clear and complete reply - it's really helpful. I'll give it a go. :thumbsup:

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: n7

yeah, it's funny, but a big reason that I pulled the trigger on the x3350 instead of 9450 (other than availability of course) is that I bought an opteron 180 last year and had good success with it.

MDme

Aug 27, 2004
so is the x3350 is essentially a socket 775 xeon? would it work in a mobo "supporting" the q9450 ( or 45nm quads)? it would be nice to have a thread where we can post mobos which support the xeons/penryns along with the bios revisions (and shop where it was bought) for us people waiting to upgrade but don't have spare core 2 duos to flash a bios with. :)

JonJ

Mar 25, 2008
I have received the X3350, and it booted up without any problem in the IP35 Pro, with the pre-installed v.14 BIOS. I subsequently flashed the BIOS to v.16, and it is continuing to run well. It's early days, but I think that the gamble has paid off!

graysky

Mar 8, 2007
Can anyone verify that you can place your Windows machine into suspend mode (S3 sleep) with a X3350 or X3360? I read somewhere that these chips actually lack the support to do so.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
I have received the X3350, and it booted up without any problem in the IP35 Pro, with the pre-installed v.14 BIOS. I subsequently flashed the BIOS to v.16, and it is continuing to run well. It's early days, but I think that the gamble has paid off!

nice, I'll try throwing my Q9450 into my ip35-e tonight and see what happens...