X-COM: Enemy Unknown remake by 2K / Firaxis!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Qbah, Jan 5, 2012.

1. lozina

lozina Lifer

Nice!

Very nice looking screens.

Damn that base looks like Dr. Evil's headquarters, I like it! Also interesting the perspective is from the side instead of top-down.

The screen of the battle has an interface/style that reminds me alot of the Altar UFO games, which is good because I did enjoy that game's interface.

2. Martimus

Martimus Diamond Member

Ugh. That kotaku article makes it look like they will remove large portions of the game. Plus it is in a hex environment, which reduces your options since there are only 6 adjacent tiles, vs. 8 adjacent tiles like standard square tiles. Plus it makes things wierd since it is difficult to make squared building/anything in a hex environment.

I just have the feeling they will make a tactical combat game with little of the building and research that was important in the original game.

3. NTAC

NTAC Senior member

There's no way they are gutting the game, did you see the interview with the guys making it? They would never desecrate the game like that.

4. lozina

lozina Lifer

Not according to these quotes from the article

5. go_gordon

go_gordon Member

I picked up X-Com: Apocalypse out of the bargain rack, installed it, played it for like 5 minutes, and then never played it again. Hope this one turns out good.

6. GoodRevrnd

GoodRevrnd Diamond Member

I wonder what tedious mechanics they removed. Most of the tedious stuff involved info not being available on certain UI screens that you needed to make decisions, and having to flip back and forth between screens to do it, not actual mechanics.

7. Qbah

Qbah Diamond Member

It was great to have that option in late game missions, where your team was fully shielded and in the best armor and was equipped with the toxin C guns. Dual wield FTW :D

For crashed UFOs it was a sprint to the entrance and making a double line formation :D They would waste anything that came out of the ship before the aliens could even blink :awe:

8. iCyborg

iCyborg Golden Member

This sounds dissapointing: I thought the level of management was quite right, it's not a complicated game, you only have a couple of bases, a couple dozen soldiers, inventory isn't too big either etc. If this is the same kind of "streamlining" that Civ 5 did, I'll be a sad panda...

9. GoodRevrnd

Ya I just don't understand what there is to streamline in the actual gameplay. Like I said everything frustrating goes back to the UI with it being difficult to see what's going on with soldier stats and how tedious it can be to specifically equip and order soldiers in your craft. If anything they could expand certain aspects. Add a bit more depth to the geoscape combat interception maybe, add back in the "men in black" agents that were scrapped from the original game, little stuff like that that just expands your options.

10. NTAC

NTAC Senior member

Well cause that game is pure trash :)

We shall see, but I think you guys might be overreacting a little bit. Lets admit, it was TEDIOUS to sell stuff every time you got back from a mission, it was TEDIOUS to have to re-arm your recruits all the time, the UI was certainly not the best for lots of things.

They could very well mean that they are cleaning up those aspects of the game.

After watching the interview with the guys making the game, there is no doubt in my mind that it is in good hands. Have you all seen the interview? Page 1 or 2 of this thread I think.

I do hope they FIX some things that were flawed with the original game... Psionics for example, that made the game far too easy, you could sleep walk through everything once you had that ability. The Blaster bombs, while a ton of fun, a bit too powerful IMO.

11. mephiston5

mephiston5 Senior member

God I hope they don't mess this up. X-COM Enemy Unknown was/is my favorite PC game of all time.

12. GoodRevrnd

Yes, but to be a pessimist for a moment, Civ V was in good hands with the guy that was primarily responsible for BtS and while I still like it it had some very fundamental flaws caused directly by over sreamlining.

13. iCyborg

iCyborg Golden Member

Come on, selling stuff was really fun, and compared to missions, it took very little time. I agree that, in general, there's plenty room for UI improvement though. And ya, psionics was annoying on alien side, and too powerful on human side.

Perhaps I am overreacting, but I spent a huge amount of time on CIV series only to see it "streamlined" into CIV 5 that I did not and never intend to buy. Morrowind to Oblivion was similar, though to a lesser degree, and with Skyrim I've lost all interest for the series, and also don't see myself buying it ever (both games mandating Steam is also a big turn-off factor for me). So with this history of seeing "streamlining" invariably ruin some of my favourite game series, you can see why I hate seeing that word here.

14. GoodRevrnd

I don't think psionics needs to be taken out. That's just an example of one thing (among many) that needs to be rebalanced. And selling stuff really wasn't that tedious. You didn't need to do it after every mission. Just do it when convenient. Selling salvage and manufacturing for profit were valid strats to keep your operation afloat.

15. Harrod

Harrod Golden Member

Supposedly UFO Extraterrestials 2 is coming out in March, I really enjoyed the gold version of the one that is on steam now. Seemed to do most of the stuff that x-com did.

16. lozina

lozina Lifer

Seems a decent game but I just cant get past it's graphics. The art style looks so awful.

17. Martimus

Martimus Diamond Member

That is a completely different article than the one I read. Can you link the article you pulled those quotes from? I was talking about the article quoted at the top of this page.

18. NTAC

NTAC Senior member

No I don't think Psionics need to be removed, but heavily re-balanced, as it was just stupid at the end of the game. I control Alien A who sees Alien B so then I can obviously control Alien B who sees Alien C... holy crap I can take out an entire base without moving.

It should probably be Line of Sight ONLY from the actual psionic soldier to enemy soldier, not some endless chain link :)

I didn't mean to say that selling stuff was not something I want, I just think they can make it easier to do... some automated purchases and sales... something to make the process a tad less cumbersome.

19. GoodRevrnd

It seemed that with psionics once you had them you had them. The alien should probably have resistance checks each turn that are compounded by distance from the controlling soldier (as well as a distance check on first control attempt). Full control should probably also only be available for maybe 3 turns at most. The problem also was once you got an alien he was kind of broken anyway and a big part of psionics was often wearing them down first with panics and the like so by the end they were useless mush anyway.

20. NTAC

NTAC Senior member

Lots of problems with it. You could take control of an alien, disarm him, and he'd never pick up his weapons again, even if you lost control

3 turns at most, that's 2 more tunrs than you normaly get :) You should get 1 turn of control, no chain reaction control, and there should be a chance that it backfires. Either HURTS your soldier, puts them out of action for some turns, or maybe the control is reversed, becasue now the Alien is aware of you and can fight hback, if it is a psionic orientated alien.

The biggest part about psionics wasthe line of sight thing. You control Alien A he can see Alien B, thus you can control Alien B, etc..etc... that should go away in the LEAST>

21. NTAC

NTAC Senior member

22. GoodRevrnd

Ok I got hung up on line of sight because I was thinking the psi soldier must have LOS which kind of sucks. But if you made it so that it just requires anyone in your squad to have LOS that would be good. I like that idea of a backfire mechanic too. They could have psi energy too that gets depleted the longer they use powers which would also make them more vulnerable. You should be unable to use the soldier to do other stuff while he is in active mind control mode as well.

23. NTAC

NTAC Senior member

So I'm saying the opposite, if soldier A is the PSI soldier and he does NOT have LOS to the Alien but Soldier B who has no PSI abilities DOES have LOS to the Alien then soldier A should NOT be able to control the Alien.

That is what the old game allowed, and what I found to ruin the game towards the end.

Don't get me wrong, it was fun as hell to have aliens kill eachother and throw grenades at eachother and just basically commit self genocide without me having to move an inch, but it got old after a while and really there was zero challenge at that point.

So basically waht I'm saying is that i want the game to continue to be challenging up until the very end.

24. lozina

lozina Lifer

25. lozina

lozina Lifer

Came across a post on the 2K XCOM forum which outlines a ton of information about features in the game. I am not sure how credible the information is however, as the source(s) are not cited.

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?117098-New-info-from-game-informer!

Some things it mentions that really sucks:

• you only have one main base, you can only build limited satellite bases.
    • time units are stripped out of the game for some simple 2-action per turn system
    • ammunition is abstracted out - it's unlimited
    I seriously hope this is not correct information on these points