X-COM: Enemy Unknown remake by 2K / Firaxis!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Qbah, Jan 5, 2012.

1. NTAC

NTAC Senior member

Hah, that wasn't good enough in some occasions :) I basically just learned that if there is a squadie kneeling or otherwise somewhere in front of another, he will most likely get shot, its just the way it goes :)

I never did either, until I replayed the game later on, and found them to be invaluable, especially on the hardest difficulty settings, especially when it comes to base defense and especially against Etherelas, since the tanks are immune to psi attacks.

2. Mem

Mem Lifer

Hehe well some console users might be in for a shock especially where you have to think things through and know what you are doing.

I'm glad there is another new X-COM on the horizon,hope it lives up to the old classics.

3. Gothgar

Gothgar Lifer

Hopefully its not super easy babbys first strategy game

4. boozie

boozie Senior member

? Assuming you are just basing this off a stereotype of console gamers because it can totally work.

Final fantasy tactics is a great example.

5. AyashiKaibutsu

AyashiKaibutsu Diamond Member

In the no reload games I've played I used them extensively they may die in two shots, but that's one shot more than infantry take and tanks don't need to be leveled to be particularly good.

6. NTAC

NTAC Senior member

"No Reload" is the only way to play the game IMO and yes, they are insanely valuable in those scenarios.

7. GoodRevrnd

GoodRevrnd Diamond Member

Wishlist:
    *please please please leave the randomly generated environments
    *make it hexes
    *some physics to the buildings, so you don't shoot out every first floor wall and the 2nd floor is floating up there :D
    *pay homage to the art style
    *make soldier stats easier to understand and manage
    *better balance (more uses for all the equipment, heavy plasma > *, kinda silly)

8. GoodRevrnd

and wtf is this shit??

"We were careful to keep XCOM: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-COM such a revered game while delivering an entirely new story and gameplay experience for both die-hard X-COM fans and newcomers to the franchise."

I don't want an entirely new gameplay experience. I want the old gameplay experience enhanced. Do whatever you want to the story, that wasn't important.

9. Ross Ridge

Ross Ridge Senior member

According to Game Informer it sounds like it will:

10. paperfist

paperfist Diamond Member

In any interview I ever read Sid spoke about it as if it were a successor. Even if it wasn't Pirates and Colonization sure were and they sucked. Sorry Sid :(

11. GoodRevrnd

What was wrong with Pirates? (Colonization did suck balls though.)

12. Anteaus

Anteaus Platinum Member

I think they had originally planned to make a real Tycoon sequel at some point and Meier went the other way and completely reimagined and retooled the original design from the ground up. I was greatly let down like most people. Only after forcing myself to go back and play it with an open mind did I see it's strengths. I had fun with Railroads in the same way that I had fun with Jones In the Fast Lane from Sierra and Pirates!. It's a greatly toned down game design that keeps things light and quick.

I noticed that once Meier hit middle age we suddenly started seeing his games turn into lighter fare. He's still a great designer, but obviously his target demographic has shifted.

13. paperfist

paperfist Diamond Member

The new Pirates! The map was super condensed, the AI seemed a lot easier to overcome then the first one and if I remember the land battles weren't as good.

The dancing part was kind of cool, but the short map really ruined it as it made sailing and planing really cake work.

I'm forever scared by seeing images of Meier with an xbox controller used to design and test a competition game.

You're right about Railroads, a few years after I initially purchased it and had a cow over it I went back to play it and it wasn't so bad. It's still a shallow game missing elements even if you don't judge it on the past, but fun none the less. I'm not really sure (again like the new Pirates) they went with such small maps and had no random generation especially when you consider the scale of the trains - they look out of place.

#38 paperfist, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  14. BladeVenom

BladeVenom Lifer

That was the best part, burning the aliens out, or just blowing everything up. I sent at least one auto-cannon with incendiary ammo on every mission no matter how good the alien weapons got.

15. Arglebargle

Arglebargle Senior member

Xcom Apocalypse added some interesting iterations, including some wonderful destructable terrain.

Here's hoping that they have good judgement in developing the Xcom 'parts fans love'.

Sadly, Sid Meiers seems now to be just a name that get added to a product. Seems to have nothing to do with things after the initial conceptual pass. He didn't even make the best Civ game.

16. Ross Ridge

Ross Ridge Senior member

I did this, but it was more for providing additional lighting.

17. AyashiKaibutsu

Brian Reynolds was always the talent behind popular Sid Meier games.

18. lozina

lozina Lifer

who does?

19. lozina

lozina Lifer

One cool thing about XCOM was the way your soldiers abilities improved by use.

At one point I would take great advantage of this by setting up training camps.

Basically I'd take a bunch of recruits on a mission with some of my best psi-soldiers. The psi-soldiers would head out and mind control all the aliens and I'd make the aliens drop their guns and shuffle into a room where I posted guards on the doors, so they'd be trapped and unable to cause any harm.

Meanwhile my recruits would go through several different types on training exercises. One was to just take objects and throw them as far as they can, over and over. Another was to take a laser rifle (no ammo) and snipe at targets at long distance. Another was to practice with the psionic weapons against the trapped aliens. Or I could throw a recruit in with the aliens and they would increase reaction time. Made alot of super hero soldiers in that game :)

20. NTAC

NTAC Senior member

21. Qbah

Qbah Diamond Member

Great video! The talkative guy sounds like he's really into the game (and I did so many things the same way haha) that I'm really hopeful the remake will turn out great!

There was a link to another article on the right. Fun read too!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/05/xcom-a-series-that-almost-wasn-t.aspx

22. AyashiKaibutsu

23. Born2bwire

Born2bwire Diamond Member

24. JSt0rm

JSt0rm Lifer

Smart very smart. That's what was cool about games back then. You could actually do stuff.

25. Born2bwire

Born2bwire Diamond Member

Dammit, can't we just put in a shooting range or something in the base?