[X-bit Labs] Intel’s Haswell Could Be Last Interchangeable Desktop Microprocessors

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
I find this future is acceptable for the right price. It should be a $100 cheaper than its current price as it does not include RAM and storage. Maybe we'll see them in the $200 price point once these becomes commonplace and there are more competitors.

For the average user, it's a godsend. It's simple, small and power efficient. For power users like us, it could be setup as a low powered server, HTPC or as a secondary rig that never gets turned off. I'd still like the option of having LGA with high end setups, Intel NUC can be a suitable replacement for the lower end.

im sure theyll get cheaper and have better features once other companies start making them. those nuc's are made by intel. also theyre clocked a little low right now (1.8 ghz, i guess theyre taking after amd)

Last edited:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
im sure theyll get cheaper and have better features once other companies start making them. those nuc's are made by intel. also theyre clocked a little low right now (1.8 ghz, i guess theyre taking after amd)

Check out the ZBox ID82- 2.2GHz Sandy Bridge i3, and already has the wifi card built in. Tasty bit of kit.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
I've seen the tiny cube computing coming for a while now but there are still thermal issues to deal with when packing relatively fast systems in small spaces:

http://techreport.com/news/23944/intel-nuc-nicked-by-nic-heat-quirk
I've read somewhere that the issue could be resolved by placing a heatspreader on the SSD, sandwiched between the NIC and SSD. Early prototype/sample hiccups I guess.

Intel's NUC uses a 17W TDP CPU which is equivalent to Ultrabooks. If there are future models, its probably coming from a mobile CPU, lower overall power consumption. For its intended market and purpose, I think the performance is sufficient.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Intel needs to bring back Slot 1 again. Maybe with a PCI-E bus and a built-in heat sink and fan as a modernized version. If they integrate DRAM on package, then CPU swaps will be just like GPU swaps.
You know, I think the slot idea is actually really good going forward. Circuit boards cost more the more layers you have on them. You need more layers to support higher pin counts and dense component layouts. However, the motherboards of the near future will actually have very few parts on them since so many things are being integrated onto the CPU. The only need for a high pin count now is memory. With point-to-point memory in the future needed to bring lower latency, the pin count needed by memory will be even higher. Everything else on the motherboard put together requires relatively few pins nowadays. With so many things integrated onto the cpu, you don't need many expansion slots so you don't need many traces for pcie. It makes sense to make a small, expensive pcb with a high layer count that has the cpu and ram on it. The motherboard itself can be a bigger pcb with fewer layers that has power components, expansion slots, and etc on it. There's probably no need for a MB bigger than micro-atx in the future either.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Surely it must have been a matter of purchasers preference (OEM and resellers). I say that because my 8088 (5MB HDD lol :D), 286 and 386 were all soldered CPU's with zero upgrade options for the mobo in terms of CPU.

I distinctly remember how cool it was that my 486 sported a CPU socket that I could upgrade the cpu (and I did, twice!).

But I have no doubts that before the 486 platform there were CPU socketed mobos for 286's and so on, as you appear to have experienced.
There were. I had socketed versions of an 8088 and a 286. Enthusiast stuff tended to be socketed and OEM stuff soldered on. Honestly, the cost of a socket isn't that high and I don't think it's very high now either. The real reason this is happening is to save space. The large majority of desktops in the future are going to have the iMac for factor or a tower about the size of a nintendo wii.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
I remember pulling apart an HP 486 PC that had a daughter board for the expansion slots.

What's old is new.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
However, the motherboards of the near future will actually have very few parts on them since so many things are being integrated onto the CPU. The only need for a high pin count now is memory
PCI-e? Audio? NIC? Video outputs? USBs? PCI-e may be the only one that takes many pins on its own, but it still all adds up. It's not just memory.

The higher pin counts are a direct result of having fewer parts: a smaller number of parts controls more devices.

There were. I had socketed versions of an 8088 and a 286. Enthusiast stuff tended to be socketed and OEM stuff soldered on. Honestly, the cost of a socket isn't that high and I don't think it's very high now either. The real reason this is happening is to save space. The large majority of desktops in the future are going to have the iMac for factor or a tower about the size of a nintendo wii.
A socket doesn't change that much for the form factor. The socket needs balls/pins, and the CPU needs pins/lands. BGA makes it simpler (probably a good bit cheaper): solder balls to the PCB. The space savings of not having a socket are minimal, even in the context of uber-small Mac Mini-like machines, and tablets. The thing is, most users, I'll bet well over 99%, never change out their CPU. So, while we lose flexibility, Intel justifies it to big OEMs and shareholders with relative ease (my concern is more Intel's classic behavior of pretending no niches in the PC market overlap, resulting in strangely-high price deltas for what should be minor feature upgrades).

Last edited: