WTF! - Texas bill would mandate Christianity in public schools.

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
If Christanity is allowed in all public schools, than the flood gates will be unleashed for ALL religions. We should teach the bible? Cool.. Than we should also teach the Muslim holy scripture (holy Quran), Buddhist holy scripture (poly Cannon), Hindu holy scripture (the Veda), and Jewish holy scriptrue (the Tora). And so on.. We also can't forget the Satanic church. I don't think Christians in America understand what they are getting themselves into.

Anyway, the chance that this will pass, and be implemented in all 50 states is very slim.

• Love
Reactions: DarthKyrie

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
If Christanity is allowed in all public schools, than the flood gates will be unleashed for ALL religions. We should teach the bible? Cool.. Than we should also teach the Muslim holy scripture (holy Quran), Buddhist holy scripture (poly Cannon), Hindu holy scripture (the Veda), and Jewish holy scriptrue (the Tora). And so on.. We also can't forget the Satanic church. I don't think Christians in America understand what they are getting themselves into.

Anyway, the chance that this will pass, and be implemented in all 50 states is very slim.
I'm pretty sure it will pass, but this is the Texas State Senate not the US Federal Senate. It only applies in Texas.

And I'm pretty sure that the bill is written to only include Christian 10 Commandments, although I wonder which 10 commandments they intend it to be since several Christian secs to not agree to what the 10 commandments are.

Finally, the prayer part is worded in such a way as to include all religions, but they are betting on the fact that if you give a bunch of Christians a stick and tell them to pray they will instead spend their time using the stick to beat anyone that prays differently then themselves. There is a reason we banned all prayer in schools, as it turns out that when Christians can't find non-Christians to beat with their stick they will use it on other Christians that pray just slightly differently, and it never ends. No difference can be tolerated. All must conform to whoever has the biggest stick.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I'm pretty sure it will pass, but this is the Texas State Senate not the US Federal Senate. It only applies in Texas.

And I'm pretty sure that the bill is written to only include Christian 10 Commandments, although I wonder which 10 commandments they intend it to be since several Christian secs to not agree to what the 10 commandments are.

Finally, the prayer part is worded in such a way as to include all religions, but they are betting on the fact that if you give a bunch of Christians a stick and tell them to pray they will instead spend their time using the stick to beat anyone that prays differently then themselves. There is a reason we banned all prayer in schools, as it turns out that when Christians can't find non-Christians to beat with their stick they will use it on other Christians that pray just slightly differently, and it never ends. No difference can be tolerated. All must conform to whoever has the biggest stick.

Yea, I get it. I taught in Thailand for a few months. For 2 hours every morning we had to go outtside in the blazing heat to pray to the Buddha, and to recite mantras that were set by the Thai government.

That was authorian, and didn't sit well with me.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Yea, I get it. I taught in Thailand for a few months. For 2 hours every morning we had to go outtside in the blazing heat to pray to the Buddha, and to recite mantras that were set by the Thai government.

That was more authorian, and didn't sit well with me.
FTFY

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

I'll also add that they need to tread lightly. Average people are getting pissed. Did you see the anti-abortion bills fail in GOP controlled Nebraska and South Carolina?

The Evangelical Christian right is large, but it pails in comparison to the majority of Americans who don't want their rights infringed upon. The GOP could be putting themselves in a very difficult position.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'll also add that they need to tread lightly. Average people are getting pissed. Did you see the anti-abortion bills fail in GOP controlled Nebraska and South Carolina?

The Evangelical Christian right is large, but it pails in comparison to the majority of Americans who don't want their rights infringed upon. The GOP could be putting themselves in a very difficult position.

People moved to Texas for cheaper housing not mandated religious instruction/practice in public schools. If the state goes regressive enough that tap will shut off and people will pick more purplish places (AZ, NV, GA, etc.)

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001

pales, not pails.

Reactions: Meghan54

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
People moved to Texas for cheaper housing not mandated religious instruction/practice in public schools. If the state goes regressive enough that tap will shut off and people will pick more purplish places (AZ, NV, GA, etc.)
Texas is pretty purple right now. We just have a bit of a problem with voter suppression and crazy amount of gerrymandering. Where I live there was a group of white guys with guns standing outside the polling area to, as they put it, 'make sure the right people are voting'. The courts simply told them that they had to stand away from the doors, but they were still allowed to harass people in the parking lot.

• Wow

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Texas is pretty purple right now. We just have a bit of a problem with voter suppression and crazy amount of gerrymandering. Where I live there was a group of white guys with guns standing outside the polling area to, as they put it, 'make sure the right people are voting'. The courts simply told them that they had to stand away from the doors, but they were still allowed to harass people in the parking lot.

The views of its electorate are pretty purple. It's elected representatives who hold power are not.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
That’s the goal though, isn’t it? Once the state is hostile enough to someone who isn’t Christian, white, male, and heterosexual they’ll leave and with gerrymandering / voter suppression it only takes a percent or two swing to remain a GOP majority.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
That’s the goal though, isn’t it? Once the state is hostile enough to someone who isn’t Christian, white, male, and heterosexual they’ll leave and with gerrymandering / voter suppression it only takes a percent or two swing to remain a GOP majority.
So wouldn’t that mean that to stay in power somewhere you need to become so intolerable that you drive opposition voters away and thereby become so intolerable everywhere else that you cannot win?

Seems to me you would do this only if you can clearly see that in the big picture you are fucked.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
So wouldn’t that mean that to stay in power somewhere you need to become so intolerable that you drive opposition voters away and thereby become so intolerable everywhere else that you cannot win?

Seems to me you would do this only if you can clearly see that in the big picture you are fucked.
Yeah but they don't care. Politicians only care about money and power given to them in their lifetime. The world can burn after their down spending those spoils for all they care.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Yeah but they don't care. Politicians only care about money and power given to them in their lifetime. The world can burn after their down spending those spoils for all they care.
Yes but everybody enjoys it more when they can self justify their own evil. Pretty clear to me that's not going so well for them.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Was waiting for this. More likely to come.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Was waiting for this. More likely to come.
Obviously the next step is to just ban schools. it's the only way to keep Christ in education.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

That was authorian, and didn't sit well with me.

Here we depend on a watery bint distributing swords. It's Arthurian and doesn't sit well with me.

Reactions: nakedfrog

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Here we depend on a watery bint distributing swords. It's Arthurian and doesn't sit well with me.

I read that yesterday and keep coming back to the idea that just maybe the royals are completely out of touch with the world. Having the peers swear fealty made some sense given their place of privilege and history of being revolting but it's stupid for anyone else.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I read that yesterday and keep coming back to the idea that just maybe the royals are completely out of touch with the world. Having the peers swear fealty made some sense given their place of privilege and history of being revolting but it's stupid for anyone else.
FYI Canadian public servants have to swear allegiance to the monarch when starting the job.

• Wow
Reactions: hal2kilo

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I still think its mindrape of small children, even the “the thing about god is something you have to decide for yourself” light weight edition.
And no. There is no “good part of Jesus” even the love thy neighbor part. Its like the pedophile luring kids with sweets, sure you got a piece of candy but you also got fucked i the ass didnt you… All that shit sets you up for is to be a victim of the next Jim Jones.
You dont need a magic man and magical constructs in the skies to be good. To be good is built in hardware. Just turn it on.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Maybe Canadians could use some self reflection on why they choose to debase themselves in that manner.

It would be great if they cut loose from the Royals (as Australia seems to constantly teeter on the brink of doing - I've lost track of whether they've actually done anything about it yet). But I think for Canada there's the complicating factor of feeling the need to distinguish themselves from the US, and, maybe, that's part of why they tolerate being a monarchy?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It is mostly a benign tradition. As a Canadian I think its' importance is fading, but I just don't think it is worth the effort to officially end it. There are far more important issues.