WTF is Christian day at an MLB game?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
You know, I take these sorts of gestures as something else other than "God wanted me/us to win/hit an HR/whatever". I take it as thanking God for their talent, which not every person has, and are acknowledging that fact.

True, you could argue it's just genetics, but some attribute God to their genetic lottery luck.

Some of the players think so. See christian players do the sign of the cross which is a catholic sign lol or point to the sky. Like God cares that they hit a home run.

60acafcf756b26c079c72e30c154eafc.jpg

Reactions: Phynaz

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Really? Never in my life have I heard of a professional sports team having a religious day. But I don't live in the fairy tale belt. Never has there been a Redskins Christian day, thank god. Apparently MLB has done this with some teams for years. I personally find it repugnant, but MLB is so greedy they will promote anything. NAMBLA Day, Creationist Day, Jews for Jesus Day, Atheist for God Day and on and on.

Just stick to baseball.

I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience
Hmmm. Much anger in him, like his father.

y4m1IRR06kabJVUJxKINh9FWRljhm1ihT_zZKRJ_0TudOq-u26b9lmUOyA_QxcDQmQxqaU_TGaDQ8nEFZELp19_CYQNkGoLTri7smB5t6rMecrv-PRphrNrMsuJvdWOp3VWgIkyTp4vCRFQbpns8pwy5mi8n8M10t_YG46al-EudV9NAo3dKSoYofX2y4R9OivqbY0Ra3XID_CmGuBJjzuUuw

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
that's some righteous xtian ideology right there.
All tongue in cheek of course.:D Funny how they don't want for anyone else to force their beliefs upon them yet they are all too quick to do the same thing to others. It reminds me of one day where my youngest son and I were sitting at a red light near the University Mall in Pensacola when the local seminary bible beaters were standing on the corner waiving their bibles yelling at motorists. I gave the radio volume a little increase and they came right up to my car window, okay more like ran up to it and started yelling at us like drug addled monkeys. The saddest part about this is that I'm actually a Christian that cannot stand most other ones real or otherwise.

Feb 16, 2005
All tongue in cheek of course.:D Funny how they don't want for anyone else to force their beliefs upon them yet they are all too quick to do the same thing to others. It reminds me of one day where my youngest son and I were sitting at a red light near the University Mall in Pensacola when the local seminary bible beaters were standing on the corner waiving their bibles yelling at motorists. I gave the radio volume a little increase and they came right up to my car window, okay more like ran up to it and started yelling at us like drug addled monkeys. The saddest part about this is that I'm actually a Christian that cannot stand most other ones real or otherwise.
uh huh, and were you not a PROUD member for the florida republican party as well?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
This nation was founded on Islamo-Christian values of slave ownership and female subservience. Please show due respect.

Reactions: Thebobo

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Do they have Jewish day? A day for Muslims? Buddhists? Atheists? Wiccans?

The only religion important to baseball is pure faith. The faith that finally delivered to the most deserving of fans, after generations of devout belief, in Red Sox nation and the Chicago Cubs.

All the rest is garbage and insulting.

Insulting to whom?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
A lot of baseball teams have problems with filling the seats in their stadiums. They have all kinds of programs like this that they use to fill the seats. Often they will sell tickets below price to community groups, to minorities to cub scouts and boy scouts, local schools etc. Often these people dont really have enough money for the price of a ticket. Sometimes they use companies and businesses that want to have a group outing and they offer a discount, or they offer seats in areas like the Knuckle or the outfield area near the foul base line for half price.

Reactions: Phynaz

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
One time my daughter and the other members of he school's chorus group from her high school, sang the national anthem and we all went to the ball game for that. Schools and other groups often also are given opportunities to sell souveneirs at the ball park and keep a percentage of the profit.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
A lot of baseball teams have problems with filling the seats in their stadiums. They have all kinds of programs like this that they use to fill the seats. Often they will sell tickets below price to community groups, to minorities to cub scouts and boy scouts, local schools etc. Often these people dont really have enough money for the price of a ticket. Sometimes they use companies and businesses that want to have a group outing and they offer a discount, or they offer seats in areas like the Knuckle or the outfield area near the foul base line for half price.

Please go defuse outrage somewhere else.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Sheesh! enough already. It's a promotion. Teams do it all the time. They target a group or groups and have a special day for them. Probably offered discount packages for church groups to bring them in. Christians are a demographic. It is ok for a business to market to them. Pretty sure there is a pride day as well. I know the local double A team near me had one of those already. Almost every game is some kind of promotion targeting a demographic. It is called building your brand.

This is complete bullshit. Never in my LIFE have I heard of a sports organization holding a specific day for a specific religion.
Sure they host church groups' special functions, but they are not pandering to that specific religion - it's no different that getting a group rate for a highschool baseball team or a bachelorette party,.

Reactions: preCRT

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I'll bet that most of the people supporting this forced religion at the ballpark can't even quote a single bible verse from memory much less explain to us why even Jesus would oppose this action.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Ya - that's not how it works.
I'm sure you'd say the same thing if it Muslim Night? Or what about "Fuck pcgeek11 night"?

Nope, I just wouldn't attend if I objected. Pick your panties out of your ass.

Looks like you have been triggered. LOL

Would you feel better if they had an alphabet night?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You know, I take these sorts of gestures as something else other than "God wanted me/us to win/hit an HR/whatever". I take it as thanking God for their talent, which not every person has, and are acknowledging that fact.

True, you could argue it's just genetics, but some attribute God to their genetic lottery luck.

yep, and I also always thought that Bonds was just pointing to his dad...then I realized that his dad is still alive, right? :D

anyhoo, I do not have 2 shits to spare for this issue.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Ya - that's not how it works.
I'm sure you'd say the same thing if it Muslim Night? Or what about "Fuck pcgeek11 night"?

Well, that would be interesting (insert any name here). And from what very little I know of pcgeek11 through these boards, he strikes me as someone that would probably be cool with that, and would very likely attend. :D

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Well, that would be interesting (insert any name here). And from what very little I know of pcgeek11 through these boards, he strikes me as someone that would probably be cool with that, and would very likely attend. :D

It all depends on if the fucker is female and hot, yes I would attend... :)