WTF! I suck at teh rice cooker

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
You don't necessarily have to rinse the rice. If you are buying enriched rice then it says on the bag not to rinse it.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Originally posted by: sonambulo
Okay, what is your make and model of rice cooker? What brand of rice are you using? What have you tried so far?

This one.

I honestly can't tell you what rices I've used. I do know that the latest one is Nature's Promise brand organic brown rice.

I think I found my problem. Other than not rinsing the rice...

What type of measurements are used with the Oster® Rice Cooker and Instruction Manual?

Measurements are in Chinese quantities, not regular ounces. One American cup is equal to 3/4 Chinese cup.

Stupid ass Chinese. It NEVER said this in the print manual.

Err, they gave you a cup no? Hint, use measuring instrument included with product.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
You need a $300 rice cooker. It's the only way to make good rice, especially if you're Asian...:p

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
You need a $300 rice cooker. It's the only way to make good rice, especially if you're Asian...:p

the thread is now complete...

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
I was waiting for Jules to reply back.

If it's a cheap rice cooker, it'll stick a good portion of the time. You'll need to let it stand (especially if you don't cook that much) for a bit so it doesn't stick.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Nitemare

Hey, 99 out of 100 Asians approve of my post! :laugh:;)

Jun 26, 2007
Seriously, what the hell am I doing wrong? Did I get a defective rice cooker or what? Every time I make rice in it, it sticks to the pot, the rice itself is sticky and soggy, and it just doesn't turn out right. I specifically got a rice cooker because I could never cook it on the stove top right. Is there some special secret to these things?

Why in hell do you need a rice cooker? Just fill up the pot, put the rice in there, let it boil for five minutes less than it says it should, pour out water, let it sit for five minutes with the lid on... perfect rice every time.

I swear you people love to complicate simple shit with technology you don't need.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: Nitemare

Hey, 99 out of 100 Asians approve of my post! :laugh:;)

Nah I have a POS $50 rice cooker and the Korean rice it makes it perfectly moist, steamy and chewy. But since it's a POS $50 one, it's really bad at KEEPING the rice warm vs my parents' $300 one that can keep the rice forever without quick browning like mine.

The probablem probably lies in the user.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Seriously, what the hell am I doing wrong? Did I get a defective rice cooker or what? Every time I make rice in it, it sticks to the pot, the rice itself is sticky and soggy, and it just doesn't turn out right. I specifically got a rice cooker because I could never cook it on the stove top right. Is there some special secret to these things?

Why in hell do you need a rice cooker? Just fill up the pot, put the rice in there, let it boil for five minutes less than it says it should, pour out water, let it sit for five minutes with the lid on... perfect rice every time.

I swear you people love to complicate simple shit with technology you don't need.

WTF kind of watery soupy rice are you eating? Whether you use the cooker or just a stove top, the water should be the just right amount so that by the time the rice is done, rice has absorbed all the water to perfectly moist texture.

If you have to POUR OUT water, you're doing something terribly wrong and the rice probably taste like utter slimey watery crap.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

You boil rice???!!??? Ohh teh noes... you are doing it wrong. Rice doesnt like to be boiled.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
I use the fingering method. 1 notch for 4 cups (that'll be American cups, eh?) and eye it accordingly if I cook less rice.

Rice rice baby!

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
Just go buy Minute Rice. Doesn't sound like you're ready for real rice yet... Baby steps your grasshopper...

No one should EVER eat minute rice or anything that is cooked in less than 15 minutes, thes pre-processed foods are what causes your arse to grow faster than you jeans, the GI of them is less than regular sugar, in fact, it would be more healthy to eat just sugar with it, and it would not stick to your teeth causing decay either.

One minute rice is stupid even if you are anorectic and trying to get back some muscle, it's the fast lane to diabetes type 2.

Now, don't start eating sugar instead, just plan your meals so that you know when your next meal is going to be, you can use a rice cooker for this too, just pour out the extra water and let it sitt off the hook for five minutes, i will never know what a rice cooker is good for though and i cook rice twice a day.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: waffleironhead

You boil rice???!!??? Ohh teh noes... you are doing it wrong. Rice doesnt like to be boiled.

That's also wrong. As long you boil it pressurized (with lid on), rice comes out perfect. How do you think the people cooked rice in the old days?

Him pouring out water is messed up, but cooking rice on a stove top is fine - which is no different than what a cooker does minus automated timing.

Jun 26, 2007

Oh no, well maybe not your one minute rice but if you'd try to eat full grain rice (which is all i eat) without it boiling for a good 15 minutes it's going to be mighty crispy (raw).

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: E equals MC2

That's also wrong. As long you boil it pressurized (with lid on), rice comes out perfect. How do you think the people cooked rice in the old days?

Him pouring out water is messed up, but cooking rice on a stove top is fine - which is no different than what a cooker does minus automated timing.

I have *NEVER* boiled rice. I rasie the water to boiling point with rice in it then reduce to simmer. I simmer the rice for proper consistency and flavor. Boiling blows away all of the natural flavors and aromas. Sure you can boil the rice if you are in a hurry, but why?

Jun 26, 2007

You should pour it out, it's all loose starch.

Explain to me why loose starch (like floured sugar) that does absolutely nothing for the taste shouldn't be pulled out....

And of course you keep the lid on at all times, why waste time and energy? You pour out the starch and let it sit, even brown full grain rice that i eat releases starch.

Lemme guess, a bit obese?

Jun 26, 2007

I've neglected the accurate term usage. What you're talking about it right. I assumed JohnOfSheffield's method of 'boiling' as without the lid on (you can't BOIL with lid on or your pot will explode). Yours and my method is correct. I have no idea what JohnOfSheffield is doing by 'pouring out' the water.

If you pour out the water then let it sit in order to be not runny, then u should've never put excess water in the first place, resulting in perfectly chewy, moist, non-watery rice.

I have *NEVER* boiled rice. I rasie the water to boiling point with rice in it then reduce to simmer. I simmer the rice for proper consistency and flavor. Boiling blows away all of the natural flavors and aromas. Sure you can boil the rice if you are in a hurry, but why?

Besides you not knowing how to quote, you don't know shit about food either

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006

You should pour it out, it's all loose starch.

Explain to me why loose starch (like floured sugar) that does absolutely nothing for the taste shouldn't be pulled out....

And of course you keep the lid on at all times, why waste time and energy? You pour out the starch and let it sit, even brown full grain rice that i eat releases starch.

Lemme guess, a bit obese?

Starch is PART of rice and what makes it chewy and tasty. I grew up in Korea and the entire nation of Koreans do this (or any Asians for that matter). Yea, we're all suffering from obesity.

Who the heck makes watery rice then drain it after it's cooked? No offense, are you white? You wash the rice when it's RAW to shed off dust and starch, not afterwards.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006

I've neglected the accurate term usage. What you're talking about it right. I assumed JohnOfSheffield's method of 'boiling' as without the lid on (you can't BOIL with lid on or your pot will explode). Yours and my method is correct. I have no idea what JohnOfSheffield is doing by 'pouring out' the water.

If you pour out the water then let it sit in order to be not runny, then u should've never put excess water in the first place, resulting in perfectly chewy, moist, non-watery rice.

Besides you not knowing how to quote, you don't know shit about food either

oh really?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
That's it, I'm fucking making rice tonight! This pain in the ass isn't going to beat me!

I've had good luck cooking rice on the stove with the following method:

1 part rice
2 parts water

Boil water and add rice, stir briefly, reduce to simmer and cover for 20 minutes on the smallest burner. Do not remove cover before 20 minutes. If rice is not done just cover for about 5 more minutes or until water is absorbed. I use a medium size sauce pan with cover.

I use Calrose rice mostly and this method makes perfect sticky rice every time for me.

Good luck! :wine:

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
That's it, I'm fucking making rice tonight! This pain in the ass isn't going to beat me!

I've had good luck cooking rice on the stove with the following method:

1 part rice
2 parts water

Boil water and add rice, stir briefly, reduce to simmer and cover for 20 minutes on the smallest burner. Do not remove cover before 20 minutes. If rice is not done just cover for about 5 more minutes or until water is absorbed. I use a medium size sauce pan with cover.

I use Calrose rice mostly and this method makes perfect sticky rice every time for me.

Good luck! :wine:

He's got it perfectly. See how easy it is? I don't know why we're making it so difficult arguing about the simplest stuff. :beer: