WTF!! entertainment industry proposal that would authorize copyright holders to disable(HACK) PCs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SuperCyrix

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2001
So basically they want a law that would make them above the law.
Fat chance in hell this will pass.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Proposed Bill x01:

To kick the leaders of the MPAA and RIAA in the nuts. Hard.

That is all.

:)

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
uh.... if those dumbarses can actually hack i'd be laughing on the floor
seriously, I doubt those entertainers can even get pass a freaking firewall, let alone destroying your files :) that is, unless microsoft's next SP includes a trojan :D

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
The RIAA tried to slip this exact legilation in, I believe, the Patriot Act but it was discovered and the press actually did its job and informed the masses which stopped it cold.

I'm utterly shocked (though I shouldn't be given it's the RIAA/MPAA here) they're trying it out in the open. The fact any politican is even hearing this nonsense let alone supporting it should send shivers down everyone's spines. If passed, this is fascism, no ifs, ands or buts.

TNTrulez

Banned
Aug 3, 2001
Don't email or snail mail to the senators. I heard the best way to get their attention is to fax your stuff.

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
Originally posted by: kenleung
uh.... if those dumbarses can actually hack i'd be laughing on the floor
seriously, I doubt those entertainers can even get pass a freaking firewall, let alone destroying your files :) that is, unless microsoft's next SP includes a trojan :D

what do u mean if? it is built into the last windows media player 8 update

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Erm I don't see why this bill wouldn't allow them to break into your home and either format your hard drive or destroy your pc. Technically that is still "electronic hacking". If I read this correctly they could do ANYTHING they wanted to a computer they believe is sharing copyrighted files.

Even more sad is this administration is very big business friendly. If people don't do anything this will pass.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Originally posted by: hopeless879
I wish I could think of some intelligent things to say now, but I can't because my brain was just shut down by the RIAA for singing a song in my head.

Woah, you too. :Q

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: silverpig
Proposed Bill x01:

To kick the leaders of the MPAA and RIAA in the nuts. Hard.

That is all.

:)

Proposed by: James Traficant :p

teknodude

Apr 11, 2002
Hey, I'm from the UK, but eventually legalistic, political bullshit like this could affect us (in fact it already is...). These senators, politicians and whatnot need to get a perspective on the issues. Their cure to the problems is to stuff anyone who has vaguely illegal stuff - so by crapping up a few people's computers they're gonna sort it? Yeah rite!

Yo, political dudes: go get a grip...or stick your heads in gas ovens and be done with it (hey, that should solve everyone's problems! and create hundreds of others :disgust: )...

teknodude

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
isnt this invasion of privacy?
also a limitation of our freedoms?
It is our personal property and you cant legally search anything of mine w/o a warrant!(Unless its a car and im on a public road)

I'm just a dumb high schooler so sorry if im wrong

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
nourdmrolNMT1, nope that about sums it up. All the legalese and spin in the world can't sugar-coat this fraud.

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
That?s soo fscked up! I hope you guy take the necessary steps to prevent this. I?m a canuk, so I can?t do anything about this.

Hanpan

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2000
First for those that don;t think the RIAA will be able to get execptions to law remember they are not bound by the laws regarding contracts. IF they can manage to get exempt from those (and they have) why not get other exemptions. My only real concern here (living in canada) is what if they hack a computer in canada or elsewhere where such activity is illegal. That could open up a whole new can of worms. I may be wrong but AFAIK there is no way to tell the phyical location of a computer by just it's ip right? I suppose you could do a tracert but what if it misleading.

Anyway just something to think about.