Writing research paper, would like to write on AMD

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
This is not flame bait, I'm dead serious on my topic. I am taking a (dead-easy) Business Ethics course this semester and I think it would be fun to write a paper on AMD, specifically whatever scandals happened in upper management. I remember vaguely something about insider trading, but what really happened? What kind of ethical breaches happened at AMD?

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
That's a great source, thanks. It also has a link to Ruiz's scandal.

What happened with Dirk Meyer, and is there anything interesting going on with Read?

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
I think the real scandal is the board of directors
sanders = good guy
ruiz = sleeze ball
meyer = had potential
read = fire everyone

ruiz is likely the only one with potentially illegal stuff surrounding his departure.
oddly enough they just sent him to glofo

Last edited:

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
read = fire everyone
Thomas_Seifert_300dpi.jpg

^-- that was this guy. Project WIN was his idea.

That is why he is here and not at AMD :
http://www.brightstarcorp.com/about/corporate-governance/leadership-team/thomas-j.-seifert

Last edited:

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
that was the interim ceo Thomas Seifert
between meyer and read

I think you're right, he deserves some of the fire everyone title

Found out where Seifert is working now.

Last edited:

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
The class has recently become mandatory for business degrees (in most places) as there has been a distinct lack of ethics in the field.

Hatisherrif

May 10, 2009
You should rather write on the subject of Intel's business ethics. Now that would be a juicy topic.

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
This is not flame bait, I'm dead serious on my topic. I am taking a (dead-easy) Business Ethics course this semester and I think it would be fun to write a paper on AMD, specifically whatever scandals happened in upper management. I remember vaguely something about insider trading, but what really happened? What kind of ethical breaches happened at AMD?

Yuri,

Are you writing about cases that resulted in criminal prosecution, SEC investigation or cases where the ethics of the act is in question?

Because if your subject is about the first you won't find anything relevant. There was a SEC investigation in 1996 where AMD stated that it developed x86 processor without technology from Intel. AMD had to settle with the SEC and dismiss its claims.

But if you want just questionable ethics, you'll find plenty of cases in AMD. You shouldn't focus on Galleon's case. Prosecutors didn't push charges against Ruiz so what you are going to find is just a testimony stating that Ruiz leaked the info to Galleon and not very much else. As as much as the ethics implications are clear, and this directly impacts shareholders, there isn't too much material to write about, there are more juicy cases.

IDC posted a few weeks ago that AMD changed their forecast a few weeks after raising money to acquire ATI. That would be a nice case of business ethics, as it was blatantly clear that AMD lied to their investors. This is a case I would think worth writing about.

If you are interested in anything more grass roots, you could write about Barcelona. AMD faked benchmarks and their then VP went on record to state a misleading performance estimate. The launch was nothing short of a disaster for AMD on the server market.

Even more grass roots, you can write about former senior marketing director that went on record to debunk leaked real benchmarks of another failed product. The product was another disaster.

pablo87

Nov 5, 2012
Maybe you can write about the sale of the fabs to Mubadala and the complete lack of transparency with respect to the WSA (wafer supply agreement), and the keiretsu ties between the two companies.

Its pretty recent and there would be a lot of info. - SEC reports, press releases, earnings call comments, analyst day comments, quarterly financial statements, etc...

Basically they sold the fabs and off loaded a lot of debt to Mubadala and even stated at one point that their share of the fabs were worth $480MM but as we now know, their share of the fab was worthless and the on balance sheet debt was simply converted to off balance sheet liabilities in the form of a WSA that termiantes in 2024!