wowowow Lakers fire Mike Brown

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ns1, Nov 9, 2012.

1. HendrixFan

HendrixFan Diamond Member

You should probably be aware that the Suns were just as efficient with Shaq on the floor scoring points than they were without him on the floor. You might have thought it didn't seem to work, but D'Antoni did make it work.

A top offense is only slightly less important than a top defense when championships are on the line. Basketball history tells us that. The Mavs won the title two years ago with a defense that wasn't top 10.

Meanwhile D'Antoni's Suns teams were actually pretty average defensively, just not great. But if you swap out one of the worst post defenders in the league in Amare for the best post defender in the league in Howard, isn't that worth a few pegs on the defensive rating?

2. Miramonti

Miramonti Lifer

That's because they had much better legs outside of shaq that made it work. Richardson, Marion, Hill, Barbosa, and of course Amare. Shaq was minimally effective while on the floor.

Dallas had a much better defense in their championship year, particularly in adjusted shot % allowed and rebounding, than just about anything the Suns have done under D'Antoni. Dallas had Chandler as the anchor, and Howard as the lakers anchor should definitely be an improvement for a D'Antoni team.

starter link for phoenix teams under d'antoni
    dallas championship team

Team defense is critical in 4th quarters of playoff games, and while howard can be awesome, the team as a whole won't be.

Imo the choice for D'Antoni was about power and finances, not anticipated results. This also virtually assures PJ will never have anything to do within the lakers organization again.

3. AznAnarchy99

AznAnarchy99 Lifer

Stupid though. PJ wanted to groom a successor. Lakers could of had a coach for years to come (Which technically should of been Brian Shaw in the first place)

4. Ns1

Ns1 No Lifer

and to that point, they do - d'atoni signed for 4 years.

5. HendrixFan

HendrixFan Diamond Member

But you shouldn't see their offensive efficiency stay the same if he was minimally effective given the minutes he played.

6. watek

watek Senior member

Buss you fucking idiot!!

7. AznAnarchy99

AznAnarchy99 Lifer

Im thinking beyond the Nash/Kobe era. And its 3 years with an option of 4 which is basically for Nash/Kobe.

8. Ns1

Ns1 No Lifer

Isn't that a notable improvement over PJ's 1 and done or w/e?

9. darkewaffle

darkewaffle Diamond Member

Dangit. I like D'antoni and Nash. I don't want to root for the Lakers :(

Regardless of which coach you wanted though I do think it wasn't right to jerk Jackson around like that. Allegedly Laker's management met with him, gave him until Monday to decide if he wanted to coach or not but then gave it to D'antoni while the window was still open. That's just bad business.

10. Ns1

Ns1 No Lifer

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-kupchak-20121114,0,1306125.story

#86 Ns1, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  11. dbk

dbk Lifer

Can't wait for tonight's game vs the SPURS!!!!

12. Atomic Playboy

I don't know why people say D'Antoni can't coach defense. He had Phoenix at a league-average defense for years with guys like Nash and Stoudemire (defensive liabilities), and he had the Knicks as a top 10 defense with Anthony and Stoudemire (defensive liabilities). The years where his defense was atrocious happened to coincide with a roster that was atrocious; you aren't fielding a terrible defense with Howard and World Peace on the floor even if you don't coach a lick.

I think Phil Jackson would have been better, but I never actually considered him as available. I'm a little shocked the Lakers passed on him, honestly...