wowowow Lakers fire Mike Brown

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
LOL just saw this:

535514_535967489765113_958028002_n.jpg

LOL

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
D'Antoni's style would be magic with the Lakers. Nash getting in pick-and-rolls / pick-and-pops with Gasol and Howard? There isn't a defense on Earth that could stop that. Add in one of the top wing scorers of the last generation and a pretty good spot-up shooter in Artest-Peace, and D'Antoni's system seems like a natural fit. And he's underrated on defense (including by myself). I don't like the Lakers, and the coach I most fear in the role would be D'Antoni.

D'Antoni's system of constant pick and rolls etc. with Gasol/Howard would basically put Kobe standing out beyond the 3pt line in order to create space, something that didn't jive well with Anthony in NY. One of the reasons they were more successful w/o Anthony in the lineup. I wouldn't expect bryant to enjoy it either.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
That would be beyond a shocker if he returned. It's a crazy good lineup for him, but...

Yeah I don't see it either, I mean he could have a perfectly good reason for skipping out on that speech. I can't help but be intrigued though.

3oh1t8.jpg

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
$11 million for three years to do nothing? Shit, where do I sign?

edit: only 11 million remaining on his contract :). Sucks to be him.

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
you can bet 100% that Kobe had a huge say in the matter......also don`t be suprised if a famous Laker coach who has multiple rings is offered the job......

djnsmith7

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2004
In terms of guys who can coach today, they don't get much better than Phil Jackson. Can't think of an active coach whose resume is in the same league.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
The last game Jackson coached was a blowout against Dallas, it was a 40pt laker loss and was a massacre from the tip off.

I always thought that would really bug me to go out like that.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
From Phil Jackson to Mike Brown, gimme a break. Might as well of given Lindsay Lohan the coaching job.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
The irony is Nash isn't exactly a prototype pg for Jackson's triangle. He prefers height, athleticism, solid defense, and just someone who can get the offense into their sets as opposed to running the offense. Obviously Nash's 3pt shooting is a plus. But the triangle is closer to the princeton offense than it is, for example, D'Antoni's offense.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
The irony is Nash isn't exactly a prototype pg for Jackson's triangle. He prefers height, athleticism, solid defense, and just someone who can get the offense into their sets as opposed to running the offense. Obviously Nash's 3pt shooting is a plus. But the triangle is closer to the princeton offense than it is, for example, D'Antoni's offense.

Wait, what? 2 words: Derek Fisher.

Does this mean that Dwight Howard has gotten 2 coaches fired in 5 games? Damn, that's gotta be a record.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
The last game Jackson coached was a blowout against Dallas, it was a 40pt laker loss and was a massacre from the tip off.

I always thought that would really bug me to go out like that.

It did bother him, and he really pushed to get the Knicks job this offseason. Dolan is an idiot though and couldn't deal with the idea of a coach like Phil Jackson working under him.

Phil is on record of saying he bowed out from the Bulls because Jordan had just past his prime but a superstar of that level wouldn't accept it, ruining any chance of coaching to a championship. He said after leaving the Lakers that Kobe was in the same place, past his prime but unable to accept it.

Phil may coach again if the roster is right, but the Lakers with Kobe aren't it.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Phil is on record of saying he bowed out from the Bulls because Jordan had just past his prime but a superstar of that level wouldn't accept it, ruining any chance of coaching to a championship. He said after leaving the Lakers that Kobe was in the same place, past his prime but unable to accept it.

Phil may coach again if the roster is right, but the Lakers with Kobe aren't it.

Interesting, I'd like to see the link to that.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Wait, what? 2 words: Derek Fisher.

Does this mean that Dwight Howard has gotten 2 coaches fired in 5 games? Damn, that's gotta be a record.

He was the personnel at the time, drafted with kobe iirc, but he also was a good defender for the most part. Jackson also liked lamar bringing up the ball. None of his teams have ever had (or needed) an elite pg like nash.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
He was the personnel at the time, drafted with kobe iirc, but he also was a good defender for the most part. Jackson also liked lamar bringing up the ball. None of his teams have ever had (or needed) an elite pg like nash.

Gary Payton would beg to differ