WoW question

AverageGamer

Aug 4, 2005
Any new PvP servers scheduled to be opened up, or a way to find the most recent?

A bud is making a BE priest. Best class to compliment each other?

Warlock, Rogue, or Druid.

Plenty of WoW experience, just pollin.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Any new server will be listed as such in the realm selection menu.

Warlock:
* Damage increase compliments: Curse of the Elements, Shadow Vulnerability, Misery
* Increases CC-ability: Fear, Psychic Scream, Seduction and Shackle Undead

Rogue:
+ Keeps mobs away: Cheap Shot, Kidney Shot (Gouge is irrelevant with SWP on the target).
+ Good DPS
- Will not keep aggro off you (if you don't attempt to moderate your damage). This could actually be used to your advantage based on poison use and such.
- You're a pain when it comes to sneaking around.

Druid:
+ Fulfill multiple roles: Tank, Melee DPS, Caster, Healer
- You're a pain when it comes to sneaking around.

Personally, I think Warlock would compliment the best, but unless you have some nice enchants and such, you'll still suffer from the weakness of being clothies in the lower levels. As you pick up different items and such, you can help to negate that (my 60 priest has more armor than my 70 rogue) as a priest, but a warlock would have to be demo to negate that and would more likely spec affliction for leveling.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Druids are versatile indeed but my druid right now feels so weak compared to everything else. I attribute this mostly toward his cat form being fairly weak (he's only level 24, so he's missing the more rogue-ish cat form abilities still).

But still you can look at it this way, Warlocks are one of the kings of PVE capabilities. 'locks and hunters are the two most capable classes for "cheating the system" as far as I'm concerned (I'd say hunter is a bit better than a warlock too). But doing a Warlock and a priest at the same time... then you're just getting pure hax :p.

Shamans are also not too bad when it comes to PVE-ability, but it depends on what you're fighting. For example, I was soloing the 47 elite giant in STV at 47 and was doing fine.. until I ran into more mobs :x. I should've just ran down the coast instead of trying to get the BB guys to help me out (someone had cleared the pirates when I went to the giant, so they respawned as I was coming). I also solo'd Mor'Ladim quite a bit at level 31 (he's 35). Although at the end a warrior came and helped, so I can't say I solo'd him. But I did solo Nek'rosh in the Wetlands using pure Frost Shock spam'age ( my favorite method of soloing ).

AverageGamer

Aug 4, 2005
My highest druid was 36, highest shaman was 52 (first character).

Though shaman has a bit more "kick" with their spells (imo) than a druid, I just plain prefer druid out of the two hybrids.

And yeah, Warlocks with HoTs to eat up for mana? *drool*.

Cutterhead

Jul 13, 2005
Tortheldrin (PvP) just opened up around New Year's. I've been re-rolling there with some friends.

AverageGamer

Aug 4, 2005
I've been checking out the realms at www.warcraftrealms.com. Their census mod is helpful in getting an idea of the makeup of different servers, what classes are popular, etc. I'm noticing that horde is made up now by anywhere between 40% and 50% blood elves.

So for every one Troll, Forsaken, Orc, or Tauren player, there is a blood elf player for him to glare at. Ugh. Why did they make the horde pretty and attract the kids.

We're actually strongly considering joining the Blood furnace server as Alliance so we can kill Blood Elves. They make up 40% of the entire server there. Horde outnumber Alliance 4.3 to 1. And we both love being the underdog, which is why we both chose horde in the first place. Who knows, maybe it'll level out eventually.

He's now thinking Draenei Shadow Priest.

My current rational thinking goes along the lines of:

Night Elf Druid
Racial
+Improved stealth
+Improved Dodge
-Elf.
-Night Elf.

Class
+Variety! Druids are never ever boring (imo)
+Versatile as far as finding a group, healingtanking/dps, adapting.
+Can stealth, use the priest as bait for some pvp action or to escape.
+Travel Forms!!
+very little downtime once you get feral faerie fire.

-Priest can't stealth with me

Draenei Warlock
Racial
+Self Heal!
+To hit Buff
+I don't mind the look of Draenei
-No WotF :( No corpse munch :(

Class
+Much experience with them, before they were considered "uber" even.
+They are no doubt a force to be reckoned with. Decent survivability.
+Felguard rocks till mid 60s.
+Not too bad downtime, NONE with healing support.
+Free mount.
+Only one of us will need to be a Tailor to get some good shadow stuf for us :)

-Felguard rocks till mid 60s.
-Played this class to 66 already. Not sure if I will get bored doing it again, though it WILL be on a pvp server.
-We'll be competing for loot.

Human Rogue
Racial
+Increase to sword skill can't hurt.
+Dncreased rep is just...awesome.
+Increased stealth detection vs other rogues/druids.
-Kinda common (imo?)
-No WotF

Class
+Decent CC for PvP, stunlock, sap, etc.
+Good DPS
+Stealth, for the same reasons as Druids.
+Love the Class, got exalted with all BG factions pre BC with him.
+Love weilding weapons that look cool (I'm so vain, I know).
+Love ganking now and again ...I'm a butt face =/

-Priest can't stealth
-Maybe the least efficient class to throw heals on (cept maybe mage?)

So yeah, appreciate the comments, jump in with some more thoughts. More than likely we'll be mking a arena team with our chars, so we're serious about what we choose.

Last moment note, He's also debating Draenei Paladin, for some reason. So your thoughts on possible synergies?

AverageGamer

Aug 4, 2005
Gah, was typing when you posted triacontahedron. Thanks for the heads up though!

I basically threw rogue in there because it is still a consideration, depite me tihnking druid or lock being the obvious better choice. We will be doing a mix, with probably a good bit more focus on pvp. I know he loves raiding though (Me, notsomuch), so when we get that high, it'll be a consideration.

triacontahedron

Feb 23, 2007
NE druid + NE priest are better then NE draenei, priest can not stealth but NE can shadowmeld a nice surprise for an unexperienced blood elf. Draenie's racials not very usefull for a priest, imho. If you decide to go with lock , gnome might be better: difficult to target , easy to hide in bushes/behind stones or a tauren ;) Being mostly horde player I just hate gnomes.

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
good thing driuds are gonna get nerfed soon.

/me is tired of getting slaughtered by them in BG's
:)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Tria, Night Elf priest racials are horrid... at least Draenei get Fear Ward :p.

Gagabiji

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
What about a mage? My bro plays a shadow priest while I play a frost mage, and we seem to do pretty good...

AverageGamer

Aug 4, 2005
Furthest I've ever gotten a mage is to 18. Does their fun level increase? I just got bored with the downtime.

Gagabiji

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
If you can live with the down time, then yes they are quite fun. However, mages are not for everyone. Becuase they really do have very low HP compared to other classes, you have to do your research and know not just your own class, but also all of the other classes inside and out as well.

If you can figure this out, playing a mage can be very fun indeed. Of course, the fun factor increases when you are playing with other skilled players too. :)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Gagabiji
If you can live with the down time, then yes they are quite fun. However, mages are not for everyone. Becuase they really do have very low HP compared to other classes, you have to do your research and know not just your own class, but also all of the other classes inside and out as well.

If you can figure this out, playing a mage can be very fun indeed. Of course, the fun factor increases when you are playing with other skilled players too. :)

Mages are very easy once you get to the higher levels. Pre-expansion, my fire mage kills the 58-ish humanoids in Silithus in 3 hits (Pyro->Fireball->Fireblast) and his gear is... not so good.

Mage downtime isn't really that bad if you consider the fact that it isn't costly downtime. My Mage and Shaman are my two most efficient classes because my mage creates his water and my shaman rarely uses the water he buys and never uses food.

triacontahedron

Feb 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Tria, Night Elf priest racials are horrid... at least Draenei get Fear Ward :p.

True, I have not played priest much, completely forgot about priest's racial spells.

Mages are fun in pve (have not tried a mage in pvp). The good part is frost aoe grinding, from my experience (aoe lvled from 26 to 60) fire and arcane are not good for aoe. Mass killing of mobs fun because it requires more skill then killing them one by one. If you have one mob then you need to press right sequence of hotkeys and that is it. To kill 5-7 (10 if you are good) you also have to be at the right place when you cast spells not only this mobs have to be at the right place. A priest would help alot for aoe grinding because misfired FN usually kills you if you alone. aoe grinding is living on the edge :) ). PVP server might be a problem because of this , it is easy to kill a mage who already has 5-7 mobs on his ass. The other problem is that some very good aoe spots are in places with a lot of traffic (arathi, pirates in tanaris, sceltons in epl).

You can find lots of videos online of amazing feats pulled by frost mages. I was not half as good as they are but still occasionally you hear "man that was amazing" :)
Mages have low health but frost tree makes mages very difficult to kill. That also makes frost mage more useful in an instace (frost has more tools for CC).

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: triacontahedron
True, I have not played priest much, completely forgot about priest's racial spells.

A lot of people forget about them and then complain when people'd rather take a Dwarf than a Night Elf for some EZ Mode action ;).

Originally posted by: triacontahedron
Mages are fun in pve (have not tried a mage in pvp). The good part is frost aoe grinding, from my experience (aoe lvled from 26 to 60) fire and arcane are not good for aoe. Mass killing of mobs fun because it requires more skill then killing them one by one. If you have one mob then you need to press right sequence of hotkeys and that is it. To kill 5-7 (10 if you are good) you also have to be at the right place when you cast spells not only this mobs have to be at the right place. A priest would help alot for aoe grinding because misfired FN usually kills you if you alone. aoe grinding is living on the edge :) ). PVP server might be a problem because of this , it is easy to kill a mage who already has 5-7 mobs on his ass. The other problem is that some very good aoe spots are in places with a lot of traffic (arathi, pirates in tanaris, sceltons in epl).

You can find lots of videos online of amazing feats pulled by frost mages. I was not half as good as they are but still occasionally you hear "man that was amazing" :)
Mages have low health but frost tree makes mages very difficult to kill. That also makes frost mage more useful in an instace (frost has more tools for CC).

I leveled as Fire on my mage and it wasn't too bad, although I agree that the difference in multi-mob vs DD can be quite different. Although, I have played the AoE game on my mage using his fire spells (Blast Wave, Dragon's Breath, etc). Combining these with Combustion can create some deadliness, especially if you save Blast Wave for later in the Combustion life cycle. That's mainly because Combustion will raise the crit chance of every person hit by Blast Wave regardless of how many charges are left. Although, even with 3 charges left, if BW crits 3 people (or more) it will waste all 3 charges. The big advantage of this is that if you crit enough people, you will get a free Blast Wave via Master of Elements since it will return mana per Blast Wave crit (so if you crit on 10 people, you will get 10x the normal MoE return).

The biggest problem with PVP as a mage (yet again, fire) is that you simply die very easily. Although, if you're lucky and can see the person before they notice you, usually you can make the fight a lot easier. For example, rogues can kill you quickly, but if you see them first, they're screwed (not so much in the post 60 levels after they get CoS). I remember killing a 60 rogue when I was only 52-ish).

I think I also just realized one of the easy ways around a druid that I never thought of. Druids have always been a pain because you can never snare them. But if a druid's in Dire Bear form (typical form I see vs a mage) and they blow Frenzied Regeneration... then you should snare them. If they get out of Dire Bear, they lose Frenzied Regeneration and it's stuck on cooldown. This removes their only bear form heal and a normal caster heal is susceptible to Counterspell.

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
Originally posted by: AverageGamer
Furthest I've ever gotten a mage is to 18. Does their fun level increase? I just got bored with the downtime.

certainly.

the key to a low level mage is to use wands, enchanter made wands work wonders and have great DPS compared to your spells.

if you want to lower your downtime just go all fire. the dps is amazing. don't go frost under the idea you can AOE all day, that takes a really good player and you have to be 26+ to pull it off.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Shivetya
the key to a low level mage is to use wands, enchanter made wands work wonders and have great DPS compared to your spells.

A good wand tip is for classes that have vulnerability talents or spells. Make sure to get the same damage school as your vulnerability. For example, a shadow priest should try to get a shadow wand. A fire mage should try to get a fire wand, etc. Although these are a bit useless against classes that are immune to those damages (you always run into these at least once :p), they provide great damage that'll be higher than normal with the vulnerabilities.

This is much more true for priests than mages in my opinion. I never found casting scorch constantly to be a big deal unless you're in a group, because it simply takes too much to get to 5 compared to a shadow priest who only uses shadow to stack shadow vulnerability.

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Smilin
Rogue + Pally FTW :)

Any DPS class + Pally FTW

With the nerf to prayer of mending, pallies are undoubtedly the best PVP healers at the moment, especially in the arena where they get to blow all their cooldowns every fight.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: uhohs
good thing driuds are gonna get nerfed soon.

/me is tired of getting slaughtered by them in BG's
:)

:confused:

Feral druids and mages are the only things I can still kill as a lightning bug shaman. At 60 I used to slaughter everything but warlocks. And I mean badly, it was almost unfair.