WoW - Paid name change - only $10

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
WTF?????

I like MMOs and I don't mind paying monthly for them (if they're good), but holy hell, talk about greedy money-grubbing arseholes...

First it was paid server transfer. I don't know what work is involved to transfer a character to a new server but $25 seems a lot to pay just to move some data.

Now it's paid name changes. $10 is a lot of friggin' money for a name change, which must not be hard to do because they do it all the time for those idiots who make up vulgar/offensive names.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Well, right from the start they're forcing you to pay $15 (still?) a month, so it is no surprise they charge extra/gauging amounts for little optional services. Unless you're obsessive compulsive and have to change your name every day for fear of being hacked/stalked, then it shouldn't bother you. No one's forcing you. If anything, it makes you think harder about choosing a name and server in the first place. Don't like it, stop paying to play (I did, but for non-related reasons).

spaceghost21

May 22, 2004
Obviously it does not cost Blizzard that much money to change a name or transfer a character.

At the same time, I think it is a good decision in that the cost require players to put a little thought into it before transferring or changing their character's name. One of the reasons WoW is successful IMO is the great communities that develop on servers. If people / guilds were constantly changing I don't think you'd see the same communities develop.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I'm not going to change my name or anything, hell, i'm not sure why i'm even subbed right now (well, actually i't not really subbed since i canceled it after like 3 days of playing, but i still have the rest of the month available to play), but i just think its crazy to have to pay $10 for something so trivial. I know no one is forcing anyone to do it, but those that do want to do it, seems like a major slap in the face.

shouldn't this kind of thing be part of what you pay $15 a month for?

I also guess it helps keep the griefers and troublemakers from always changing so they don't have to wrry about a bad rep.

and i have say that AT yet again confuses me about its stance on things. I figured with all the WoW haters here, there'd be tons of post saying how crappy that is or whatever.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I don't know what work is involved to transfer a character to a new server but $25 seems a lot to pay just to move some data.
It is also to discourage people from doing it. If it was free, it could really mess up the economy if one was to make all of one's money on an old server (where inflation is rampant), transfer to a new(er) server, make one's purchases, and then transfer back.

nycxandy

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I agree with the fee. Yes, a name change might be something simple, but the cost is necessary to stop the many thousands who would do it at a whim. Not to mention some people often carry around bad reputations on the server, and without a fee they would easily and readily avoid the scorn.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
It's an option, but would be a hassle if everyone wanted to go around changing names and transferring servers, willy-nilly.

This way, Blizzard gets $$, and people usually have an actual need if they are willing to pay.

A rather rare "win-win" scenario, don't you think?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I agree that this is a positive step for both Blizzard in the money situation and the player in a feature sense.

What I disagree with and I believe this to be the main point of the OP's arguement is that the price of the service is too much.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Anubis
i dont see it as a big deal, id rather them let me xfer chars from PVE->PVP servers, id pay for that

The PVP'ers complained about this :roll:. It's like they think leveling on a PVP server is a right of passage or something? Purely silly, I leveled multiple characters on a PVP server and I have to say, the people that chose PVE to PVE on were just smart :p.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Aikouka
i dont see it as a big deal, id rather them let me xfer chars from PVE->PVP servers, id pay for that

The PVP'ers complained about this :roll:. It's like they think leveling on a PVP server is a right of passage or something? Purely silly, I leveled multiple characters on a PVP server and I have to say, the people that chose PVE to PVE on were just smart :p.

ive lvled to 70 on both there really was no difference

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007

The only difference is at lvl 70 in front of the high end raid instances. I was the best at hiding behind the houses in front of Karazhan until some Horde opened the door for me. :D

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The name change would be the simplest to do. The job of moving a character, and all his/her belongings, items, and money, is more of a involved job although not impossible feat. I know Mythic absolutely abhors the server transfer idea in DAOC. They always have said its a difficult time consuming job and have refused to do it. Wether thats true or not I dont know. If alot of people wanted it done I could see where it might be somewhat of a difficulty. Mainly in getting it done right I suspect. Anyway, its good that Blizz at least offers it. The price is probably to help keep the number of people doing it down.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Skott
The name change would be the simplest to do. The job of moving a character, and all his/her belongings, items, and money, is more of a involved job although not impossible feat. I know Mythic absolutely abhors the server transfer idea in DAOC. They always have said its a difficult time consuming job and have refused to do it. Wether thats true or not I dont know. If alot of people wanted it done I could see where it might be somewhat of a difficulty. Mainly in getting it done right I suspect. Anyway, its good that Blizz at least offers it. The price is probably to help keep the number of people doing it down.

it takes less then 10 min for blizz to move your char once they approve it

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Imp
Well, right from the start they're forcing you to pay $15 (still?) a month, so it is no surprise they charge extra/gauging amounts for little optional services.

Forcing you to pay $15/month for what?

I don't play, so I need to be clued in.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: aCynic2
Originally posted by: Imp
Well, right from the start they're forcing you to pay $15 (still?) a month, so it is no surprise they charge extra/gauging amounts for little optional services.

Forcing you to pay $15/month for what?

I don't play, so I need to be clued in.

its 15$ a month to play the game, not the first and it wont be the last to charge a monthly fee

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
I'm not a fan of name changes. You build your rep, you live with it. If you were an asshole to everyone you met for a year and now you want a fresh start, start over from level 1. Server moves need to have a cost associated with them or they would be abused to an extreme.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

I thought PVE leveling was a bit more relaxing... I didn't have to worry about some 70 ganking me... I could /dance with them and they couldn't do anything about it :D.

You know though... I think there's something about being Horde. I was on my Undead Rogue and I had a high desire to kill any Alliance that I saw (of course within a level range, even some guy that was a red con to me, I wanted to kill him :eek:).

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

I thought PVE leveling was a bit more relaxing... I didn't have to worry about some 70 ganking me... I could /dance with them and they couldn't do anything about it :D.

You know though... I think there's something about being Horde. I was on my Undead Rogue and I had a high desire to kill any Alliance that I saw (of course within a level range, even some guy that was a red con to me, I wanted to kill him :eek:).

i lvled to 60 as aliance on a PVP server and i can count the number of times i was ganked by someone many lvls higher then me on 1 hand, 60-70 there was more PvP but thats because the entire server was in outlands at the same time

ive leved Horde chars from 1-70 after TBC came out on PVP servers and the story is no different, i think i died a few more times in STV but thats about it, somone seems to always be attacking gromgol

on PVE yes you cant get killed by some 70 who is bored but it really doesnt speed up the process anymore + when TBC came out on PVE servers everything in outland was farmed to death, one of those go kill 20 of X mod quests took days because literally everymob in a zone was dead at the same time

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
Anubis did you level to 60 on a PVP server when that server was new, during the starting waves? I leveled up on Sargeras, which was a major PVP server at the time. And PVP was insane. This was pre-battlegrounds, you had nowhere to hide. I wasn't worried about level 70s ganking me (because it didn't exist back then) but even level 40s had a huge advantage at the time. I remember the first group of people to get to 40 actually came back to TM to cause havoc. I was in the second wave of people to hit 60 on the server, 2nd horde side druid. Pre-Battlegrounds WoW, PVP was a huge part of leveling up.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Skacer
Anubis did you level to 60 on a PVP server when that server was new, during the starting waves? I leveled up on Sargeras, which was a major PVP server at the time. And PVP was insane. This was pre-battlegrounds, you had nowhere to hide. I wasn't worried about level 70s ganking me (because it didn't exist back then) but even level 40s had a huge advantage at the time. I remember the first group of people to get to 40 actually came back to TM to cause havoc. I was in the second wave of people to hit 60 on the server, 2nd horde side druid. Pre-Battlegrounds WoW, PVP was a huge part of leveling up.

i was the 9th person to 60 on warsong when the game came out( i think 3 days after the 1st hit it, my friend rob was 2nd), i remember the endless TM/SS wars, however they were eaisily avoided, actually most people i played with then just wanted to get to 60 ASAP, there are always a few zones for all lvl ranges and i just avoided the hotspots it really wasent hard.

i was never big on camping low lvl areas, it just wasent fun, if i happened to be somplace and saw someone i might kill them once and move on, only reason i did the TM/SS crazyness was because that was all 60s just going nuts,

even at 70 the only time i kill anyone in world PVP is for the world PVP dailys or if someone is farmin my mobs, other then going to Org for the AH and Kara i dont think ive been anywhere in Old WoW for like 6 months

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
I had to add characters in my main's name just to get it close to what I wanted. The name I want is currently available (to my knowledge) so I am hoping to be able to pay the $10 and get it changed once my realm is permitted to use this service. The $10 doesn't bother me. I love the game and my char's name being exactly what I want is worth the money to me.