• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

WoW - Paid name change - only $10

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
29,979
623
126
Originally posted by: Skacer
Anubis did you level to 60 on a PVP server when that server was new, during the starting waves? I leveled up on Sargeras, which was a major PVP server at the time. And PVP was insane. This was pre-battlegrounds, you had nowhere to hide. I wasn't worried about level 70s ganking me (because it didn't exist back then) but even level 40s had a huge advantage at the time. I remember the first group of people to get to 40 actually came back to TM to cause havoc. I was in the second wave of people to hit 60 on the server, 2nd horde side druid. Pre-Battlegrounds WoW, PVP was a huge part of leveling up.
I leveled my rogue to 60 when the game began (hit 60 the end of Jan 2005 or so) and I think I rarely ever ran into someone who could even pose a threat much less kill me. But at this time, there was crap like: Booty Bay camping, Gadgetzan roof top camping, etc. Other than that, things were pretty easy. But now, you've got people that just get bored and literally, you can waste an hour just trying to get away (or simply log out).

I've also leveled characters when the server was older and there most certainly were people ganking unlike when I leveled my rogue. I literally just left my rogue logged out nearby and would kill anyone that messed with me. I don't care if the guy was my level, I'd still kill ya if you jumped me while I was fighting a mob :p (especially on my warrior, I hated leveling that guy, so if you made it worse, I made your day hell).
 

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
1,190
1
0
Originally posted by: pontifex
I'm not going to change my name or anything, hell, i'm not sure why i'm even subbed right now (well, actually i't not really subbed since i canceled it after like 3 days of playing, but i still have the rest of the month available to play), but i just think its crazy to have to pay $10 for something so trivial. I know no one is forcing anyone to do it, but those that do want to do it, seems like a major slap in the face.

shouldn't this kind of thing be part of what you pay $15 a month for?

I also guess it helps keep the griefers and troublemakers from always changing so they don't have to wrry about a bad rep.


and i have say that AT yet again confuses me about its stance on things. I figured with all the WoW haters here, there'd be tons of post saying how crappy that is or whatever.
Companies can do what ever they want. If you don't like it, don't do it. WoW is a game that to be quite fair has no real penalty for death so why is it so important for you to disappointedly remarking about a company allowing ALL of its customers access to a feature that people might find useful.


 

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
43,806
44
91
Originally posted by: hooflung
Originally posted by: pontifex
I'm not going to change my name or anything, hell, i'm not sure why i'm even subbed right now (well, actually i't not really subbed since i canceled it after like 3 days of playing, but i still have the rest of the month available to play), but i just think its crazy to have to pay $10 for something so trivial. I know no one is forcing anyone to do it, but those that do want to do it, seems like a major slap in the face.

shouldn't this kind of thing be part of what you pay $15 a month for?

I also guess it helps keep the griefers and troublemakers from always changing so they don't have to wrry about a bad rep.


and i have say that AT yet again confuses me about its stance on things. I figured with all the WoW haters here, there'd be tons of post saying how crappy that is or whatever.
Companies can do what ever they want. If you don't like it, don't do it. WoW is a game that to be quite fair has no real penalty for death so why is it so important for you to disappointedly remarking about a company allowing ALL of its customers access to a feature that people might find useful.
how about making one point of sense in any of your posts...

wtf does the name change have to do with wow's death penalty?

you're right about one thing though, its their game and they can do what they want, i just think they could treat their paying customers a little better than this though. i never said it was a bad thing that they are allowing people to do this or that only certain people are allowed to do it. typical forum troll.
 

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
1,190
1
0
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: hooflung
Originally posted by: pontifex
I'm not going to change my name or anything, hell, i'm not sure why i'm even subbed right now (well, actually i't not really subbed since i canceled it after like 3 days of playing, but i still have the rest of the month available to play), but i just think its crazy to have to pay $10 for something so trivial. I know no one is forcing anyone to do it, but those that do want to do it, seems like a major slap in the face.

shouldn't this kind of thing be part of what you pay $15 a month for?

I also guess it helps keep the griefers and troublemakers from always changing so they don't have to wrry about a bad rep.


and i have say that AT yet again confuses me about its stance on things. I figured with all the WoW haters here, there'd be tons of post saying how crappy that is or whatever.
Companies can do what ever they want. If you don't like it, don't do it. WoW is a game that to be quite fair has no real penalty for death so why is it so important for you to disappointedly remarking about a company allowing ALL of its customers access to a feature that people might find useful.
how about making one point of sense in any of your posts...

wtf does the name change have to do with wow's death penalty?

you're right about one thing though, its their game and they can do what they want, i just think they could treat their paying customers a little better than this though. i never said it was a bad thing that they are allowing people to do this or that only certain people are allowed to do it. typical forum troll.
Death Penalty makes a world of difference for something like a name change. If you go griefing and stealing all the time there would be no balance to the game if you could just change your name absolving you from consequences.

Problem is, you don't understand PVP in an MMO. You don't understand consequences for your actions in a virtual reality. You just cry about companies charging you for <insert what you don't like about this time> just because you feel <whatever makes you feel important as a human> and subject us to it.

If there is no real consequences for your ingame actions then who the fuck gives one bloody iota about a name change. You kill someone on in a PVP zone in WoW guess what? They don't loose any loot and the risk for being in the PVP zone is whatever you have to pay to get your gear repaired.

Now, in a game like EVE or Ultima Online or <insert a real PVP MMO here> if you could destroy someones hard work and then change your name after you make a lot of enemies then what would be the point to the game? This would be an unjust punishment for a lot of players. In WoW... a random loot ninja or dishonest crafter can get away with a name change but their are game mechanics to get around them in the first place. The only people that are punished are the people who are too dumb to read the online manual.

You might have comprehended that if you really understood what consequences were and the differences between MMO companies. But lets go on a crusade to bitch about how Blizzard is taking another 10 bucks of that hard earned money for something they should give for free because it would take a simple database switch because you know it would be that easy and because they are so big they should hire people to take away from bug fixing and content to offer that service for FREE.
 

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
43,806
44
91
Originally posted by: hooflung

Death Penalty makes a world of difference for something like a name change. If you go griefing and stealing all the time there would be no balance to the game if you could just change your name absolving you from consequences.

Problem is, you don't understand PVP in an MMO. You don't understand consequences for your actions in a virtual reality. You just cry about companies charging you for <insert what you don't like about this time> just because you feel <whatever makes you feel important as a human> and subject us to it.

If there is no real consequences for your ingame actions then who the fuck gives one bloody iota about a name change. You kill someone on in a PVP zone in WoW guess what? They don't loose any loot and the risk for being in the PVP zone is whatever you have to pay to get your gear repaired.

Now, in a game like EVE or Ultima Online or <insert a real PVP MMO here> if you could destroy someones hard work and then change your name after you make a lot of enemies then what would be the point to the game? This would be an unjust punishment for a lot of players. In WoW... a random loot ninja or dishonest crafter can get away with a name change but their are game mechanics to get around them in the first place. The only people that are punished are the people who are too dumb to read the online manual.

You might have comprehended that if you really understood what consequences were and the differences between MMO companies. But lets go on a crusade to bitch about how Blizzard is taking another 10 bucks of that hard earned money for something they should give for free because it would take a simple database switch because you know it would be that easy and because they are so big they should hire people to take away from bug fixing and content to offer that service for FREE.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
my post has nothing to do with any of that idiotic blather that just came out of your mouth (fingertips).


 

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
10,377
1
0
Originally posted by: pontifex
I'm not going to change my name or anything, hell, i'm not sure why i'm even subbed right now (well, actually i't not really subbed since i canceled it after like 3 days of playing, but i still have the rest of the month available to play), but i just think its crazy to have to pay $10 for something so trivial. I know no one is forcing anyone to do it, but those that do want to do it, seems like a major slap in the face.

shouldn't this kind of thing be part of what you pay $15 a month for?

I also guess it helps keep the griefers and troublemakers from always changing so they don't have to wrry about a bad rep.


and i have say that AT yet again confuses me about its stance on things. I figured with all the WoW haters here, there'd be tons of post saying how crappy that is or whatever.

This is one reason why we have to pay. Another would be to stop people from abusing the system and doing it too often. They added a second layer of protection to that by not permitting that previous name to be available for 6 months or something. I think someone also mentioned cashing in on the selling of accounts illegally.

Basically, there are many reasons to charge money and yes, greed comes into play. Just remember that they are a business so that comes with the territory. They could charge less like $5 for example, but I don't think that is enough to sway away the people that they are trying to keep from changing names a lot. Plus, $10 shouldn't be a lot to someone if they truly want to change the name of a character that they have invested a lot of time into. If it is, then it's not the end of the world if they choose not to do it. Better than not having the option at all I say.


Lastly, there are tons of services out there in the real world that you get charged for and the work needed to complete the service is either totally automated or really close just like this one. For example, activation fees for cell phones is nearly an automated process yet come companies charge a ton for it when at most they are just entering in some account information and some serial numbers followed by clicking the "Go" button.
 

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
9,020
0
0
It's a nice tax on stupid people who named their characters something stupid. Like... oh I dunno, Tigole Bitties :laugh: Oh wait...
 

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
78,716
414
126
Originally posted by: CKent
It's a nice tax on stupid people who named their characters something stupid. Like... oh I dunno, Tigole Bitties :laugh: Oh wait...
lol

my brothers paly is named "Anstd" a Gm LOLed at it in a tell
 

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
24,156
1,811
126
If they didn't charge $10 for the name change service, people would be randomly changing their names all the time to things like "PontifexIsATool" or something like that just to piss people off.
 

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
29,979
623
126
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
If they didn't charge $10 for the name change service, people would be randomly changing their names all the time to things like "PontifexIsATool" or something like that just to piss people off.
To me, I think $10 is a bit too much, but $5 seems like a more fair price... not too much but not entirely insignificant.
 

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
3,629
1
0
Originally posted by: pontifex
because they do it all the time for those idiots who make up vulgar/offensive names.
honestly, there was nothing wrong with my old char's name: Rectumrocker.

 

PCNewb

Senior member
Jul 26, 2004
801
0
0
I'm still on the 10 day trial deciding if I want to buy the game, then start a monthly fee :p
It's sad, I use to play MUDs, etc. years ago. Nothing like WOW. A man's free game turned corporate. But it's addicting, even though I'm lv17 and suck. But it seems to be a game you need to know people, as there isn't much team/help.

The name change charge seems appropriate, if allowed at all. You build your character, and your name along with it.

In the muds, if you wanted a name change, you simply deleted and started over :p
I'd say $10 is worth it if someone feels its really needed.

"delete character forever" <-woo!
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BFG10K PC Games 15

ASK THE COMMUNITY