Wow.... My daughter may becoming Islamic

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
Sure it is. Religion has functioned in a pick and choose fashion throughout history. It still does today.
As far as I can tell, religion is simply obsolete, superstition-based propaganda.

OP, you're an atheist. Just tell her all religion is bad, and tell her why. A lack of evidence comes to mind.

Reactions: Thebobo

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
The koran is by definition not changed if his daughter is reading that. It's unclear what that analogy is supposed to accomplish except an homage to Ted Stevens.
I will give you you are really good at some things, others not so much.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
I will give you you are really good at some things, others not so much.

The buffet analogy makes about as much sense as series of tubes given you also choose entrees and whatnot in a typical restaurant.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Skipped most of the thread.

My daughter is only 6 years old at this point, but I've thought about how we are raising her and what sort of foundation we want her to have for when she turns 18 and is potentially out in the world on her own.

There is no religion in our household. Is there respect for other's belief's? Yes. That said, I'm not going to ever assume my daughter has maturity at a young age to choose to be religious regardless of the particular religion. I assume that we are raising a pragmatic, rational thinker, but sometimes perhaps one's own personality would counter that once she gets older.

If my kid ever decides to explore religion I'd first find the source of influence. If it was a close friend, neighbor, or something external I would nip that in the bud quickly. My teen years were filled with friends of our family attempting to interject their views/beliefs into my mindset. It irritated the shit out of me at the time as well my parents. Any adult who interfere's with the upbringing of my child in a way that crosses that line is going to be having a very specific conversation with me.

I intend for my daughter to be her own person and come to choose her politics, interests, etc on her own as she matures. Religion however is one of those things that simply does not have a place in her upbringing until she is 18 or older. There will be some religious people on here that have issues with that. There will be some progressives on here that will have issues with that even though they are anti-religion. It comes down to parenting. Ideally, my daughter's principles might be similar if somewhat different than my own. I don't care what political party she will belong to if any. I don't care if she is gay. I don't care if she finds religion as an adult. I won't force my views on her, but nobody is going to indoctrinate her while she is under my wing.

Reactions: Grooveriding

Omar F1

Sep 29, 2009
In Islam, we do have feelings which we think couldn't be found in any other experience. One of the old prominent Islamic clerics once said, if the kings knew about our happiness they'd have fought us all over it.
That said, converting to Islam by a child/teenager with empty mind and soul could be quite dangerous. Islam might be so tempting for some people that it'd be like he had found the path and would like nothing else; thus he may exhibit lack of interest in life, school and attendance to his daily duties.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Hot

islam-women.jpg

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
In Islam, we do have feelings which we think couldn't be found in any other experience. One of the old prominent Islamic clerics once said, if the kings knew about our happiness they'd have fought us all over it.
That said, converting to Islam by a child/teenager with empty mind and soul could be quite dangerous. Islam might be so tempting for some people that it'd be like he had found the path and would like nothing else; thus he may exhibit lack of interest in life, school and attendance to his daily duties.
you just described heroin

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Indoctrinating children into religious mythologies is heinous. You could tell a young child there is a homicidal boogie man under the bed starting from a young age through to adulthood and they will grow up to believe it. It removes their right to choose and assess it for themselves by feeding them far fetched fairy tales as truth when they are in the impressionable imprinting stage of their lives.

There is no shortage of information to inoculate against religion though. Any textbook on evolution will do.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Skipped most of the thread.

My daughter is only 6 years old at this point, but I've thought about how we are raising her and what sort of foundation we want her to have for when she turns 18 and is potentially out in the world on her own.

There is no religion in our household. Is there respect for other's belief's? Yes. That said, I'm not going to ever assume my daughter has maturity at a young age to choose to be religious regardless of the particular religion. I assume that we are raising a pragmatic, rational thinker, but sometimes perhaps one's own personality would counter that once she gets older.

If my kid ever decides to explore religion I'd first find the source of influence. If it was a close friend, neighbor, or something external I would nip that in the bud quickly. My teen years were filled with friends of our family attempting to interject their views/beliefs into my mindset. It irritated the shit out of me at the time as well my parents. Any adult who interfere's with the upbringing of my child in a way that crosses that line is going to be having a very specific conversation with me.

I intend for my daughter to be her own person and come to choose her politics, interests, etc on her own as she matures. Religion however is one of those things that simply does not have a place in her upbringing until she is 18 or older. There will be some religious people on here that have issues with that. There will be some progressives on here that will have issues with that even though they are anti-religion. It comes down to parenting. Ideally, my daughter's principles might be similar if somewhat different than my own. I don't care what political party she will belong to if any. I don't care if she is gay. I don't care if she finds religion as an adult. I won't force my views on her, but nobody is going to indoctrinate her while she is under my wing.

Just remember that odds are very good that your child will do the opposite of what you (as their parent) want them to do, starting around 15. If you attempt to push them into science, reasoning, and logic, they'll probably take up something counter to that. It's in the nature of children to do it. Once they start to fly out of the nest a little, back off and provide guidance, but if you try to force their opinion they'll swing so fast in the other direction it'll make your head spin.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Just remember that odds are very good that your child will do the opposite of what you (as their parent) want them to do, starting around 15. If you attempt to push them into science, reasoning, and logic, they'll probably take up something counter to that. It's in the nature of children to do it. Once they start to fly out of the nest a little, back off and provide guidance, but if you try to force their opinion they'll swing so fast in the other direction it'll make your head spin.

Nothing is forced on her. Slight nudges? Maybe.

What you said though is truth and interesting in that all my religious friends I grew up turned out to be pretty rebellious once they got older. I have co-worker whose parents sent her to a religious white conservative college (she is still religious), but she ended up marrying a black man...I think out of spite.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013

Damn I just had THAT talk with my daughter tonite. I said it is better to be skeptical and not believe anything just because somebody tells you that it is true. I told her that there is a way man discovered to find out truth, the scientific method. I told her that believing things without evidence doesn't make you a bad person, it just makes you wrong. I specifically told her that her friend's mom was a great person but that she believes things that haven't been demonstrated as truth. I also her told her that most of my relatives fall into the same category. I am pretty sure it went in one ear and out the other but at least I did my thing. BTW, her friends mom is into alternate medicine/nutrion just like one of my brothers. Geez now I am worried this will get back to her friend's mom and she will think we are bad people.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Damn I just had THAT talk with my daughter tonite. I said it is better to be skeptical and not believe anything just because somebody tells you that it is true. I told her that there is a way man discovered to find out truth, the scientific method. I told her that believing things without evidence doesn't make you a bad person, it just makes you wrong. I specifically told her that her friend's mom was a great person but that she believes things that haven't been demonstrated as truth. I also her told her that most of my relatives fall into the same category. I am pretty sure it went in one ear and out the other but at least I did my thing. BTW, her friends mom is into alternate medicine/nutrion just like one of my brothers. Geez now I am worried this will get back to her friend's mom and she will think we are bad people.

You're doing it wrong. Why didn't you take my advice?

You should let her speak first. Then raise this objection or that objection. Draw her out. Don't put her on the defensive like you just did.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
You're doing it wrong. Why didn't you take my advice?

You should let her speak first. Then raise this objection or that objection. Draw her out. Don't put her on the defensive like you just did.

Honestly I am starting to get more angry about it. This woman has my daughter convinced that the CDC is an evil institution and that vaccinations are bad. She has her convinced that an alkaline diet is important. All kinds of woo woo bullshit. I never inject my views on other people's children and rarely on my own. Never pushed or talked about religion or politics or any of that. I feel like I am in a box where I should do something but I am sorta clueless where to go.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
If she joins, the punishment for leaving is death. This ex-muslim will tell you (along with so many others who have avoided the penalty so far!)

Really want to spend the rest of her life in hiding/fear?

Nov 25, 2013
A propaganda parrot leaves some droppings behind

If she joins, the punishment for leaving is death. This ex-muslim will tell you (along with so many others who have avoided the penalty so far!)

Really want to spend the rest of her life in hiding/fear?

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
A propaganda parrot leaves some droppings behind

Gonna' actually listen to an imam tell you? Or let an expert tell you? Or let an ex-muslim from the inside tell you? Or pick up a quran and read it for yourself?

Nope - the SJW powers mandate you to feel outrage so that's what you're gonna' do.

Where's that leftists-are-more-educated attitude when it comes to actually researching things of critical importance?

Nov 25, 2013
Oh look, more parrot droppings. Didn't realize that parrots could suffer from diarrhea.

Gonna' actually listen to an imam tell you? Or let an expert tell you? Or let an ex-muslim from the inside tell you? Or pick up a quran and read it for yourself?

Nope - the SJW powers mandate you to feel outrage so that's what you're gonna' do.

Where's that leftists-are-more-educated attitude when it comes to actually researching things of critical importance?