Wow.... My daughter may becoming Islamic

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Should I say something to this girl's mom? Ask her to cool down the proselytization? I am kind of afraid of doing something like that. I love confrontation when I am an anonymous hack on the internet, confrontation with real people in front of me is very scary.

My wife is much less worried about this. I don't think it matters too much to her what our daughter believes about reality.

I admit I did a lot of scrolling through the thread but is the gist of this that you are worried a black supremacist group is trying to convert your white daughter into joining their black supremacist group?

ReignQuake

Dec 8, 2015
Take your daughter to the UAE or Saudi Arabia and have her observe what a woman is like in those countries, have her be one for a week. Show her what's expected of her, or how things will change when a partner has them return to the Middle East or Asia, show her what they do to a married partners kids, particularly if they're completely westernised.

Then show her what the men are actually doing outside of these countries, but how the women are still expected to be. She'll soon realise that it's unfair and not right, and for many of them, completely optional outside of the kingdom, unless it's an advantage.

Last edited:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Take your daughter to the UAE or Saudi Arabia and have her observe what a woman is like in those countries, have her be one for a week. Show her what's expected of her, or how things will change when a partner has them return to the Middle East or Asia, show her what they do to a married partners kids, particularly if they're completely westernised.

Then show her what the men are actually doing outside of these countries, but how the women are still expected to be. She'll soon realise that it's unfair and not right, and for many of them, completely optional outside of the kingdom, unless it's an advantage.

He could just show her these women role models

17 Muslim American Women Who Made America Great In 2016

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ica-great-in-2016_us_584204b7e4b09e21702ec3b1

Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
No. Straight faces are boring.

Although honestly, I have seen that same thing play out in real life a half dozen times. "Eddie was so sweet when we were dating, but now he treats me like crap." "Well, sweetie, that's because in his culture he now owns you. One doesn't try to persuade one's property." Although again honestly, I've seen it happen twice within Christianity as well, husbands and wives both believing that the man is the total master in the home, to the point that the woman is not allowed to turn on the television or radio.

Hey, I didn't trade all those sheep so she could take control of the TV dammit!!!!

(do I really need to add the /s sarcasm tag?)

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Should I say something to this girl's mom? Ask her to cool down the proselytization? I am kind of afraid of doing something like that. I love confrontation when I am an anonymous hack on the internet, confrontation with real people in front of me is very scary.

My wife is much less worried about this. I don't think it matters too much to her what our daughter believes about reality.

This is the absolute first thing you should have done my friend.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
To an extent though, that makes sense. If the Muslims around me that I know are all nice people, then the Muslims around me that I don't know are probably nice people too. I agree with Desura that Islam is on balance the worst religion, but that doesn't change the fact that most Muslims are as good as your average bear. Believing that Islam is on balance the worst religion doesn't mean that every Muslim is a little worse than the average Jew, Christian or Hindu, it just means that they have a lot of really bad actors. One's chance of running into one of those really bad actors can often be nearly infinitesimal if one lives in non-Islamic nations. I'm in Tennessee and my chance of running into even a horrible but non-murderous Muslim is much smaller than my chance of encountering an equally horrible Christian or atheist. It pays to keep things in perspective.

I guess living in Tenessesee is a bit different than down here in Louisiana. Gators I can handle all day long without a problem, I've been within a few feet of a 16 footer on the highway before and was perfectly calm. If I ran into the "average bear" I would soil myself, empty whatever firearm I had on hand into said bear and after expending all of my ammo if it even twitched I'd very likely start running in the other direction screaming like a little girl. If it was an above average bear I would probably just soil myself and proceed directly to running and screaming.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I admit I did a lot of scrolling through the thread but is the gist of this that you are worried a black supremacist group is trying to convert your white daughter into joining their black supremacist group?

No. I am worried about the proselytizing my daughter on distinctively anti-science ideas at an extremely impressionable age (13). My daughter now believes the CDC is evil, vaccinations are bad, that weird diets will prevent cancer, that burning incense performs some holistic function, etc.... My hope was for my children was that they live their childhood without any religion or woo-woo being pushed on them before they were developed enough to make a cogent informed decision. I have spoken rarely if ever on religion/politics to them. I would never presume to speak on such topics to any of their friends.

I really only became aware of the level of indoctrination this week but I was aware of profound changes in her behavior over the past few months. This woman gave the hard sell to my wife about all this woo-woo over the weekend. She has the best of intentions but she doesn't seem to recognize how an atheist would respond to them.

Now that I think about it, the only worldview I have tried to push on my children is an acceptance of those unlike themselves and to treat people well. That is the sum total of what I spoken to them about with regards to worldview. This has left a huge vacuum for anybody to come in and fill with whatever religion they want and my kids have no intellectual tools to resist indoctrination.

This is all within the context of the total mindfuck that I got out of Christianity in my youth. Worrying about an eternity in hell constantly did not make for a pleasant childhood.

Last edited:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
No. I am worried about the proselytizing my daughter on distinctively anti-science ideas at an extremely impressionable age (13). My daughter now believes the CDC is evil, vaccinations are bad, that weird diets will prevent cancer, that burning incense performs some holistic function, etc.... My hope was for my children was that they live their childhood without any religion or woo-woo being pushed on them before they were developed enough to make a cogent informed decision. I have spoken rarely if ever on religion/politics to them. I would never presume to speak on such topics to any of their friends.

I really only became aware of the level of indoctrination this week but I was aware of profound changes in her behavior over the past few months. This woman gave the hard sell to my wife about all this woo-woo over the weekend. She has the best of intentions but she doesn't seem to recognize how an atheist would respond to them.

Now that I think about it, the only worldview I have tried to push on my children is an acceptance of those unlike themselves and to treat people well. That is the sum total of what I spoken to them about with regards to worldview. This has left a huge vacuum for anybody to come in and fill with whatever religion they want and my kids have no intellectual tools to resist indoctrination.

This is all within the context of the total mindfuck that I got out of Christianity in my youth. Worrying about an eternity in hell constantly did not make for a pleasant childhood.

I don't think the woo-woo is coming from the Nation of Islam part of it is it?
There's atheist that do the woo-woo, and religious doctors that know the woo-woo is poo-poo

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Don't let it happen. Keep talking to her. Be calm but be persistent. She isn't equipped to fend off this kind of indoctrination at her age. But she's still young enough for her parents' opinions to matter.

Reactions: Blue_Max

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Don't let it happen. Keep talking to her. Be calm but be persistent. She isn't equipped to fend off this kind of indoctrination at her age. But she's still young enough for her parents' opinions to matter.

Yes but he also must stop the indoctrination at the source. This woman has absolutely zero right to be pushing this crap on his daughter and it's up to him to put her in her place like yesterday in a very very direct way. Plus she is either already at or closely approaching the age at which a ton of teenagers think that they know everything.