Wow how stupid is Sony? Really ...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Fact sheet right here.

The sheet speaks for itself. it's just ridiculous that sony let this slide and made this fact sheet public. i didn't realize that you have to buy a core system for the 360, and are required to buy a HDD, the HDDVD drive, a wireless controller, and a 12 month xbox live subscription. well apparently sony realized that and put it in their fact sheet.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
yeah, I went into best buy last week to pick up a 360, and they FORCED me to buy a HD-DVD player and the hard drive. They said Microsoft required it, so I didn't get one.

Sony is stupid

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Basically a marketing ploy. But you know what's really sad, uninformed are going to buy it and get a PS3.

Down with Sony!

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
And apparently you are also forced to buy a wireless controller...
Even though it comes with a perfectly good wired one.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Well they're just showing what it would cost for a comparable setup, although it's somewhat disingenuous since they picked the Xbox Core System then added the hdd and wireless controller (which come with the premium system) to bring the price up to $450, $50 more than the Premium. :confused:

And what's this about Nintendo's online service only being free for the first 6 months? It's not going to be free after that? Link anyone?

I think people are intelligent enough to recognize which items on those lists they actually need. I think people are interpreting the word "requires" wrong. It's not meant as a strict requirement. It's what you're required to buy to make what they consider to be a "complete" system.

Edit: I see it's the Wii browser that is free for the first 6 months, the Wii online service is expected to be permanently free. Blatantly misleading. :thumbsdown:

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Maybe they meant to match the compatability? HD storage, Online service....

Meh, I'm grasping at straws. I really hate Sony and I'm trying to see the logic here.

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs
Well they're just showing what it would cost for a comparable setup, although it's somewhat disingenuous since they picked the Xbox Core System then added the hdd and wireless controller (which come with the premium system) to bring the price up to $450, $50 more than the Premium. :confused:

And what's this about Nintendo's online service only being free for the first 6 months? It's not going to be free after that? Link anyone?

I think people are intelligent enough to recognize which items on those lists they actually need.

They are just talking about the free Opera browser download and making it look like it's the online service when it isn't. It's free to download for 6 months after the Wii launches, then you have to pay for it. The actual online gaming service is going to be free forever afaik, and you only need the browser if you want to surf the web, not play games.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Danman
Basically a marketing ploy. But you know what's really sad, uninformed are going to buy it and get a PS3.

Down with Sony!

that's a retailer list. MS will put out their own list to counter. and maybe sue sony for defamation. and win.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

I think people are intelligent enough to recognize which items on those lists they actually need. I think people are interpreting the word "requires" wrong. It's not meant as a strict requirement. It's what you're required to buy to make what they consider to be a "complete" system.

Edit: I see it's the Wii browser that is free for the first 6 months, the Wii online service is expected to be permanently free. Blatantly misleading. :thumbsdown:

sony also forgot to mention that their basic system can't even play in HD resolutions out of the box, so what the hell would you need a HD capable drive on the Xbox360 for if you aren't even talking about HD movies? it's a stupid sheet and whoever made it should be fired. sony just cannot stop getting bad press, and at this point, i dont feel bad for them at all.

krotchy

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
I like how the PS3 has a 10/100/1000 Port, but Xbox only has an Ethernet port.... Way to say the same things in two different ways sony :thumbsup:

Did they hire a 12 year old kid to write those comparisons, I coulda done better without knowing what either was.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: purbeast0

sony also forgot to mention that their basic system can't even play in HD resolutions out of the box, so what the hell would you need a HD capable drive on the Xbox360 for if you aren't even talking about HD movies? it's a stupid sheet and whoever made it should be fired. sony just cannot stop getting bad press, and at this point, i dont feel bad for them at all.

Heh...I like how Sony announced they are putting in a Blu-Ray movie with the first 500,000 PS3s sold but the PS3 can't do HD out of the box. :laugh:

Kur

Feb 19, 2005
Fact sheet right here.

The sheet speaks for itself. it's just ridiculous that sony let this slide and made this fact sheet public. i didn't realize that you have to buy a core system for the 360, and are required to buy a HDD, the HDDVD drive, a wireless controller, and a 12 month xbox live subscription. well apparently sony realized that and put it in their fact sheet.

What they are trying to compare is if you want the FULL benefit that you get from the PS3 you have to buy all this and that. Everyone knows online gaming is huge, PS3 it's free, xbox360 it's not. That's all they are trying to compare.

So before blasting a company try and understand the point they are trying to make.

(I am not a sony fanboy, I simply hate people who don't look at things as a whole and simply see ZOMG SONY SAID WHAT OMFG)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Kur
Fact sheet right here.

What they are trying to compare is if you want the FULL benefit from the system you need to buy all this and that. Everyone knows online gaming is huge, PS3 it's free, xbox360 it's not. That's all they are trying to compare.

So before blasting a company try and understand the point they are trying to make.

(I am not a sony fanboy, I simply hate people who don't look at things as a whole and simply see ZOMG SONY SAID WHAT OMFG)

Full benifits? ITS A GAMING MACHINE. i am willing to bet 95% of the poeple that are buying a XBOX 360 got it to play GAMES on.

oh and to play online you get the XBox premium or whatver it is called and you can play online.

you do not need to shell out extra for other equipment.

Kur

Feb 19, 2005
Originally posted by: waggy
Fact sheet right here.

What they are trying to compare is if you want the FULL benefit from the system you need to buy all this and that. Everyone knows online gaming is huge, PS3 it's free, xbox360 it's not. That's all they are trying to compare.

Full benifits? ITS A GAMING MACHINE. i am willing to bet 95% of the poeple that are buying a XBOX 360 got it to play GAMES on.

Umm Hai, my name is kur. I'm gonna have to ask you to leave the store. You are getting a little out of hand and need to get some help. Please leave before I call the cops.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Fact sheet right here.

What they are trying to compare is if you want the FULL benefit that you get from the PS3 you have to buy all this and that. Everyone knows online gaming is huge, PS3 it's free, xbox360 it's not. That's all they are trying to compare.

ok then answer me this ....

1. why would you need an hd-dvd drive in the xbox360 "package" they put together, when you cant even view anything in hd because it comes with composite cables?

2. why did sony forgot to add in a 2nd controller to their package, because if you add in a wireless controller to the xbox360 package, you wll now have a total of 2 controllers for the 360 vs 1 for the ps3?

3. why did sony forgot to mention you get 1 month free of xbox live gold, and that the majority of the games also come with free trials?

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
I would think whoever made this simply is from marketing. Any of the real developers would cring seeing this information. I think for the ethernet they meant Sony had a gigabit connection, whereas Microsoft is using a regular 10/100 port?
Things could also be explained better: if you WANT to play HDD moves with your XBOX, then the 199 HD DVD Player is REQUIRED. Get it?

I'm not going to boo Sony as one massive unit, but rather their marketing department reeks of the same people who defend the description of a series of "tubes that can get clogged"

Kur

Feb 19, 2005
Fact sheet right here.

1. why would you need an hd-dvd drive in the xbox360 "package" they put together, when you cant even view anything in hd because it comes with composite cables?

2. why did sony forgot to add in a 2nd controller to their package, because if you add in a wireless controller to the xbox360 package, you wll now have a total of 2 controllers for the 360 vs 1 for the ps3?

3. why did sony forgot to mention you get 1 month free of xbox live gold, and that the majority of the games also come with free trials?

1) You don't need it, but in order to view what they call "Next generation DVD qaulity" you will need it. With PS3 you get the Blueray which is also able (and fast enough) to play games and the last I heard they got 30GB disks working and 60GB are due nexy year? (30gb/60gb > 10GB DVD's)

2) When has sony every included 2 controllers? Ive never got a PS2 or PS1 with 2 controllers...

3) Because it's called their "PR" department, you see it all throughout the industry they always leave out little "details"

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
2) When has sony every included 2 controllers? Ive never got a PS2 or PS1 with 2 controllers...

No, he's saying that with the Xbox 360 system they put together you get two controllers - one wired and one wireless. It comes with a wired controller, they say you have to buy a wireless controller.

Why? Because they were trying to fudge the numbers. They could have just used a Xbox 360 Premium in their system and eliminated the $100 HDD and $50 wireless controller, knocking $50 off the total for the 360.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Fact sheet right here.

1) You don't need it, but in order to view what they call "Next generation DVD qaulity" you will need it. With PS3 you get the Blueray which is also able (and fast enough) to play games and the last I heard they got 30GB disks working and 60GB are due nexy year? (30gb/60gb > 10GB DVD's)

3) Because it's called their "PR" department, you see it all throughout the industry they always leave out little "details"

you didn't answer any of my questions except #3 ...

your answer to part 1 is flawed, because the bluray player on the ps3 is pointless out of the box (for movie viewing) because it only comes with composite cables and you cant view bluray movies in HD, and if thats the case there is no point to add a HD-DVD player to the xbox360 either. so you should really subtract -$200 from the total price.

also, since this is a "comparison" and stuff is supposed to be equal, then sony should have added in a 2nd controller to their "package" to make it have 2 controllers as the xbox360 package has. either that, or subtract $30 from the total price of the xbox360 for removing the wired controller.

the only valid one you answered was #3, which can sum up this whole stupid fact sheet ... its a marketing ploy.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Fact sheet right here.

1) considering its a GAMEING machine this reallys houldnt matter. but you are not getting what he says. but you are right the PS3 playes blueray but not out of the box.

2) again you are missing the point.