Wow. Bitcoin is almost $1,500

Page 88 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Thats assuming that he hadn't cleared out the assets ages ago and now no one can check.

Well you don't need the decryption keys to check wallet balance, you just need to know the wallet address. That much should easily traceable I'd think.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It depends somewhat on how you define "alive." But any chance of a moonshot for all but maybe a few coins, seems to be dead.

Ripple Labs isn't even in the cryptocurrency business. They have a private blockchain solution for financial institutions. SWIFT being updated to compete with Ripple Labs has little to do with the potential success of actual crypto projects.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I'm actually super impressed with the resiliency of cryptos. Bitcoin is still around $3,500 and Ethereum is around $100. And most other alts are still hanging around and steady. I figured by now, most would be totally worthless but that's not the case and floor seems pretty solid.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Well, there's lots of hopeful suckers out there. I mean, there's still plenty of people holding millions in Dinar on that off chance it will actually be worth something some day.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I need to see the price of bitcoin come back to 10k to believe everything is good and well. I give it 40% change it ever happens.
Few merchants accept it after 10 years, transactions take too long, and the long term prospects for the livelihood of the coin are in question because of the dropping number of miners (which will probably continue to drop as people continue to take losses).

BTC may have the most well name but I think anything that is proof of stake has a better chance to survive long term.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have been mining with NH to an external wallet, got a payout this morning, I didn't have my Bitcoin Core client for Windows running at the time. So I fired it up, it downloaded the interim blockchain bits and... nothing. No indication, no "Pending", nothing in "Transactions" to indicate a pending payment.

But when I check my stats on NH, they show the payment down below, clicking on that, goes to a blockchain site, searching for my wallet address, shows a payment, "unconfirmed".

But why doesn't it show up as "Pending" in the Bitcoin Core client? Do I need to download the whole blockchain again? What's going on here?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Well well well, lookie here (it's Bloomberg, so for those of you who hate them . . . sorry):

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...x-mess-won-t-get-better?srnd=cryptocurrencies

USDT was backed by 74% of stated assets, and that's only AFTER Bitfinex/Tether Ltd. finally agreed to disclosure? How much time do you think they spent scraping together cash to back USDT after issuing it with what were likely no assets at all?

Now $850 million is missing. It is no wonder the market crashed so hard last year. Thank goodness most of the damage seems to have been done already. I am somewhat glad that prices didn't do a full retrace to March 2017 levels (or lower). Also, with more stablecoins available, everyone can abandon USDT once-and-for-all. Anyone who continues to meddle with USDT is insane.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
That said, I'm amazed that Bitcoin somehow rallied up to $8,000 yesterday. Someone must be taking advantage of the Chinese tariff panic to pull a quick Bitcoin pump and dump scam.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
The entire crypto market is on a tear right now. I was hoping we would see this thread come true a second time on the way down, but it doesn't look that's happening now.

Lows / Current
Bitcoin: $3200 / $8000
Litecoin: $22 / $102
Ethereum: $80 / $240
Bitcoin Cash: $80 / $390

My last DCA was a few days ago of ETH at $168. I am not further cost-averaging until this rally plays out.

It's nice to have an asset not directly tied to your identity that seems to be forever inflating because of the infinite supply of fiat out there. This is the kind of stuff gold and silver would be doing if they were actually allowed to freely move in price instead of being tied down to "reported inflation".

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wow Ethereum seems to be shooting up. $324.78 as of right now. It had been in the 200's for a while last I checked. I have 2.06eth, almost enough to pay off a single 1070. :p

I still need to find a Canadian exchange, the one I was using went tits up. The CEO took all the money and ran. Or at least that is what is assumed. The story being told is that he died so no one has keys to the cold stores.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
LOL. Anyways, mining seems ... profitable again? I was making $0.65/day on 2x RX 570 cards, with CNR, but now after a NH app upgrade, making $0.90+ with DH. It even spiked to $2.00+, briefly, before coming back down nearly immediately. Oh well. Someone must have bid up their mining contract too high or something.

NH profitability calc used to show earning after elec. for like under $0.50/mo, now it's above $6.00/mo, per card.

The GTX 1660 ti shows over $14/mo earnings after elec. costs. Looking at maybe getting one or two of those next month "for real". Maybe.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Hopefully no one had anything left on Cryptopia....

Doh! Comes to show how you really should not store any coins or cash in an exchange. Use it for exchanging only and cash out right away.

Seems nobody knows how to run an exchange these days lot of them fail. I admit I don't myself, but I feel if I learned how and did it, I would do better than most by managing it properly. I've kinda toyed with the idea, but you need a lot of cash and crypto to seed it. Like if everyone starts depositing bitcoins for cash you need to have the cash, and you also need to see value in bitcoin so you can use it to continue to pay for the operation, as I think more people cash in for cash than vise versa.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Security. The utmost modern day issue affecting any and all companies, seems to be taken far too lightly. Exchanges aren't exclusive to it.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Seems nobody knows how to run an exchange these days lot of them fail.

If it isn't Coinbase Pro, Binance, or maybe Poloniex, I don't touch them.

Like if everyone starts depositing bitcoins for cash you need to have the cash, and you also need to see value in bitcoin so you can use it to continue to pay for the operation, as I think more people cash in for cash than vise versa.

Tell that to Bitfinex.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Hell... I can remember with Mt. Gox and BTC-E were considered the "best" crypto exchanges around. They both went belly up in horrifying ways. Anybody who keeps their crypto or cash in an crypto exchange account is an idiot.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
LOL. Anyways, mining seems ... profitable again? I was making $0.65/day on 2x RX 570 cards, with CNR, but now after a NH app upgrade, making $0.90+ with DH. It even spiked to $2.00+, briefly, before coming back down nearly immediately. Oh well. Someone must have bid up their mining contract too high or something.

NH profitability calc used to show earning after elec. for like under $0.50/mo, now it's above $6.00/mo, per card.

The GTX 1660 ti shows over $14/mo earnings after elec. costs. Looking at maybe getting one or two of those next month "for real". Maybe.

Mining is actually best when it isn't profitable because that's when you'll actually get the most ROI long run since difficulty remains low and you'll get more coin for your hash. The only ones who should really "mine and dump" are those with farms and actual bills to pay. Otherwise mine, trade into whatever coin you'd actually like to hodl, and hodl until spikes like this most recent one happen.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/web-browser-mining-standard-api.2565224/

A modest idea / proposal. Allowing, intentionally, web browser mining in the background, OPT-IN, to selected sites to pay for content. I think that it could work out, and less "browser high-jacking" from ads that demand visual attention. With background site mining, the only thing that might distract you, would be an increase in the speed of the CPU / GPU fans.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Mining is actually best when it isn't profitable because that's when you'll actually get the most ROI long run since difficulty remains low and you'll get more coin for your hash. The only ones who should really "mine and dump" are those with farms and actual bills to pay. Otherwise mine, trade into whatever coin you'd actually like to hodl, and hodl until spikes like this most recent one happen.

That's great if, as you say, you don't have actual bills to pay. If the electric bills need to be paid from your output then it isn't so great. "Mine and HODL" still only works if the returns are good enough that the money spent on mining is less than what you would spend buying the tokens directly. If you are buying directly, you can probably find some deprecated non-mineable tokens to buy that will appreciate enough to produce superior profits to mining during a spike.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That's great if, as you say, you don't have actual bills to pay. If the electric bills need to be paid from your output then it isn't so great. "Mine and HODL" still only works if the returns are good enough that the money spent on mining is less than what you would spend buying the tokens directly. If you are buying directly, you can probably find some deprecated non-mineable tokens to buy that will appreciate enough to produce superior profits to mining during a spike.

How do you pay your bills when you're not mining? You would just pay them the same way.

I do agree the best time to mine is when lot of people arn't. My rig has been steady for over a year now. It's not worth for me to cash in, but there's always the chance it goes up to make it worth it, so I just keep accumulating. The less people mining the bigger piece of pie I get. Summer is good too since lot of people down south have to shut down their rigs because of heat.

I consider it mostly a loss at the current rate though so don't really want to invest more money into it, but may as well keep mining with what I have.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/web-browser-mining-standard-api.2565224/

A modest idea / proposal. Allowing, intentionally, web browser mining in the background, OPT-IN, to selected sites to pay for content. I think that it could work out, and less "browser high-jacking" from ads that demand visual attention. With background site mining, the only thing that might distract you, would be an increase in the speed of the CPU / GPU fans.

The problem is that you can't really get a meaningful amount of crypto profits with just CPU mining, and GPU mining from a browser is likely going to cause problems for people with outdated video drivers.