Wow. Bitcoin is almost $1,500

Page 72 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
shcNRWW.jpg

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Jesus this 7 day ETH chart.

That makes me tempted to convert some Bitcoin to Ethereum. I wanted to do it once when BTC was 17k and Eth was 1.1k, but then they eventually came into the 1/10 parity (e.g. BTC = 17k, ETH = 1.7k).

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I need it to go down to like, $200 before I can put some real money into it. At my low levels of investment, even a return to ATH wouldn't be that significant.

4% fees in, 4% fees out, + transaction costs, means you gotta have some pretty decent gains to make this worth it.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It's a shame that scammy ICOs are dragging down the price of Ethereum. Fools and their money . . .

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
There is a small part of me that wants a rally so that way I can ask more for my used 1070. I finally got my hands on a 1080 TI and was betting on selling my 1070 to some dude in Russia for way more than is reasonable.

(I know I'm part of the problem.)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Regulation will be better in the long run. I look forward to a crypto scene that is less scammy than today.

The only issue I have here is that regulation may kill some projects with small teams that are worthy; granted, I can't actually name such a project in the ERC20 realm, so such a thing may be non-existent. But if you look at the larger field of crypto and examine something like ANS/NEO, you will see an enormous market cap for something that started with a small team of developers. That project has acquired at least the appearance, if not the reality, of credibility.

The real, underlying problem with ICOs is that you have groups with fake white papers and dev teams that either don't exist or have falsified credentials trying to take people's money. It doesn't take much homework to figure out who is a scammer, and yet people would rather drop thousands of dollars on the ICO in hope of a quick turnaround rather than try to figure out whether the dev team is going to loot the smart contract and bail (or worse, scam people with a year-long ICO).

Regulators can't make stupid people smart. The only thing they can do is stop some scams by choking off entire venues of fundraising. Eventually, the only truly effective way to stop scammers, will be to prevent anyone other than large, accredited groups from starting an ICO of any kind - on or off the Ethereum blockchain.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Regulation will kill all crypto bc most of the "value" was created by large holders' manipulation and money laundering schemes.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Regulation will kill all crypto bc most of the "value" was created by large holders' manipulation and money laundering schemes.
Yes that's why governments and companies around the world are making more and more partnerships to explore blockchain use cases for their industries.

Regulation will certainly help curtail scammy practices in the crypto world, the same way it helps curtail scammy practices in any industry. If you think all crypto is manipulation and money laundering then you should do some research.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yes that's why governments and companies around the world are making more and more partnerships to explore blockchain use cases for their industries.

Attempting to prop up or inflate the value of a digital asset has nothing to do with companies attempting to use blockchain for various aspects of their business. Cryptocurrency could completely die off while blockchain thrives in other areas.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Attempting to prop up or inflate the value of a digital asset has nothing to do with companies attempting to use blockchain for various aspects of their business. Cryptocurrency could completely die off while blockchain thrives in other areas.
I was specifically replying to him because he (and others) has made previous posts where it sounds like he thinks Bitcoin is cryptocurrency/blockchain, which is a misconception made by people who don't really know what it is.

It's like saying 4chan is the Internet, and thus the Internet is stupid.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003

Regulation will certainly help curtail scammy practices in the crypto world, the same way it helps curtail scammy practices in any industry. If you think all crypto is manipulation and money laundering then you should do some research.

uh... those coporate uses are all for things like supply chain tracking, not for actual crypto currency. Bruh, cryptos aren't even real currencies

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I think that we should make our scamcoin... er... cryptocurrency. Who wants some ATOTCoin?

Come on guys, let's light this candle! Don't let those pricks on Reddit brag that they have their own crypto and we do not!

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Heh... I think that I've been pushing for an Anandtech Forums themed cryptocurrency since 2011.

It was super cheap and easy to create it with Hexel, as it's basically an Ethereum smart contract. If you're mining Ethereum, you probably already have the wallet software for this.

I can't rename the currency once created, but I can change the logo.

Reactions: brianmanahan

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
omg. I can literally shill this. And literally make the price go up - not unlikely.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
PM me some Ethereum account numbers. I'll hook you guys up.

They don't have to be your primary account numbers, you can create a second "throwaway" wallet for this if you want.

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
LOL as if. That's crazy. How do I start mining this? Is the software written for it yet?

I don't think that you can "mine" an Ethereum smart contract coin. The creator of it (me, I guess) can issue additional coins, though. I set up a Metamask wallet for this, but I'd imagine that most Ethereum wallets would work.