Would you support a law to ban cellphone use while driving EXCEPT for handsfree devices?

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's the current policy of the Air Force on all USAF installations, and I think it's a good compromise between banning all cell use, which I think is ridiculous, and allowing potentially dangerous cell usage (ie., having one hand occupied with holding the phone). Personally, I use a wired earpiece with a mike, and I hate using the phone by holding it to my head. On the exceedingly rare occasions when I do use the cell phone without the earpiece while driving, I find it very distracting.

Since you can buy a wired device for about $10-20, fiscal concerns aren't really an issue (bluetooth is another matter but irrelevant).

What's the ATOT consensus?

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
I hate it when I see someone driving down the road with 1 hand on the wheel, 1 eye on the road, and both braincells on the conversation.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I personally think all cellphone use in a moving vehicle should be against the law. You simply cannot perform the task at hand if you are speaking on the phone, handsfree or not.

If you want an example, try playing your FPS video game when your girl is talking to you.

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: spidey07
I personally think all cellphone use in a moving vehicle should be against the law. You simply cannot perform the task at hand if you are speaking on the phone, handsfree or not.

If you want an example, try playing your FPS video game when your girl is talking to you.

I've done that before. And I got a great Kill/Death Ratio too

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: tenshodo13

Likewise, then my girlfriend chewed me out for not listening to her

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
Why only ban cellphones? What about foods & drinks? Brushing teeth, changing clothes and/or put on makeup?

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: GenHoth

:thumbsup:

se7en

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: crystal
Why only ban cellphones? What about foods & drinks? Brushing teeth, changing clothes and/or put on makeup?

And drinking too while were at it!! O wait.. ..

gamepad

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2005
Most people can drive fine while talking on the phone. The few who can't, are the reason it should be illegal.

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Originally posted by: GenHoth

QFT

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000

That's odd, I do it all the time. And I've never been in an accident that was my fault.

How about this: Quit trying to take someone else's freedoms away because it makes you feel better.

What's next, outlawing walking and chewing gum?

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005

I remember you - Death Race 2000. You were Machinegun Joe.

:laugh:

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: misle

That's odd, I do it all the time. And I've never been in an accident that was my fault.

How about this: Quit trying to take someone else's freedoms away because it makes you feel better.

if people walked at 80mph and weighed 2tons then yea, maybe we'll hit that one up next.

mph.. not mpg heh

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

so you dont talk in your car when you have a freind with you because you get distracted? sounds like you shouldnt be driving in the first place.

i am against any law that bans talking on a cell phone and driving. just one more thumb the governement is imposing on our supposely free country.

all these are feel good laws, they serve no other purpose than to add to the resume of some political hack. the next thing on the list will be eating and drinking in your car, or god forbid listening to the radio. this is coming just like the fat tax that all of you scoffed at.

:thumbsdown:

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I don't know if making it hands-free makes it any less dangerous. Most people have an automatic transmission and so it's not really a big deal for them to drive with one hand, and hold a cell phone with the other.

If a law is put in place to ban it, it should be against cell phone usage alone, and not just requiring hands-free usage.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: misle

Fine. If you are in an accident and it is proven you were on the phone it is automatically your fault. Similar to impaired driving. Because you KNOW that's what it is. There's more than enough studies to support that fact.

-edit-
Didn't mythbusters do something on this and found the inebriated driver was better than one talking on a cell phone?

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
You know it is illegal to drive and eat/drink. It is just silly. I have never had a problem driving and talking on the phone. Unless it is an important call, I never pull over. Problem is there are too many bad drives out there making excuses for themselves. Learn to drive.

BTW did I mention I drive a manual?

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004

That is, without a doubt, THE stupidest thing I've ever seen posted here on ATOT. Seriously, that one must have physically hurt to type. If people walked around at 40mph, weighed 6000 pounds, and needed their teeth to walk, then maybe you'd have a point. As it stands, you're simply the proud owner of the dumbest post ever on one of the largest internet message boards in the world. Congrats!

I'm not sure how I feel about the law itself. On the one hand, it has nothing to do with how good a driver YOU are, it's just better to have two hands on the wheel if someone stops short or swerves into your lane. On the other hand, most people don't really drive at 10 and 2 anyway, and using a cell phone with the free hand probably doesn't make that big a difference.

In the end I guess it's the same as speed limits. 90% of people can drive 10-15 over and be completely safe. The problem is that there's a lot of laughably stupid people on the road who can't handle it, so everyone loses out because of them. This is basically the same thing.

Syrch

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
there are so many people that use their cell while in the car for legit purposes but dont' necessarily have a headset. I think banning would be stupid but i do support the headset part

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Agentbolt

That is, without a doubt, THE stupidest thing I've ever seen posted here on ATOT. Seriously, that one must have physically hurt to type. If people walked around at 40mph, weighed 6000 pounds, and needed their teeth to walk, then maybe you'd have a point. As it stands, you're simply the proud owner of the dumbest post ever on one of the largest internet message boards in the world. Congrats!

I'm not sure how I feel about the law itself. On the one hand, it has nothing to do with how good a driver YOU are, it's just better to have two hands on the wheel if someone stops short or swerves into your lane. On the other hand, most people don't really drive at 10 and 2 anyway, and using a cell phone with the free hand probably doesn't make that big a difference.

In the end I guess it's the same as speed limits. 90% of people can drive 10-15 over and be completely safe. The problem is that there's a lot of laughably stupid people on the road who can't handle it, so everyone loses out because of them. This is basically the same thing.

Ooooooooh, there's the burn. Good post.

Supposedly the statistics say that hands free vs handheld does not make a difference in driving. I don't know what the statistics show the effects of driving with any cell phone to be, but I'd be interested to see.

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
I hope that they pass this law in Canada/US in general. If you are not pulled over and talking then if you get caught I am for stiff fines.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
yeah, i used to use an earpiece, my new phone has a speakerphone, so i just use that and it isn't as safe/less distracting than the earpiece