Would you ditch a ~$14 an hour job with semi-decent benefits for a $25 an hour 6 month contract?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Gotta make my decision in the next hour or so (whether or not to apply), but I've been offered a shot at a position paying $25+ an hour on a six month contract, only catch is there are no benefits.

Where I am now:

Been here over 4 years, it's been going downhill for the last two. I may not have a job in the next 2-3 months. I could seriously use the boost in income, but not having insurance kinda freaks me out. I would probably look into some form of private insurance, though I might just decide to go the six months without & see what happens.

Cliff's notes:

4 year job on a sinking ship, making ~$14 an hour OR $25 an hour with a six month contract

Viper GTS

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
you can get your own insurance for like 30-40 bucks a month. check out ehealthinsurance.com. you'll make up the costs in like 3 hours of work.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Knowing the industry you are in ( I have been there), I would take the new job. You have enough experience on your resume that even if the contract doesn't get extended beyond 6 months, you have a reasonable expectation of finding new work in a reasonable time. You could even go back to your old employer if you don't burn bridges. Caveats are you have to live like you make $14 an hour and save the rest in case you aren't extended at the new job. Given your age, lack of insurance for 6 months is a relatively small risk that I personally wouldn't be worried about. Statistically, you aren't going to need health insurance in the next 6 months. It's a tough choice, but sometimes you have to shoot for the moon and see what happens. If you don't, you will forever be playing whatif in your mind.

If you don't mind, what's the new job?

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Quickly figure out what insurance is going to cost you out of pocket for six months and subtract that from your higher wage to get a "truer" number. If the money still says "yes" then decide what kind of opportunities this new position provides. SInce you feel you might not have a job in a few months the risk is a little lower so I don't really see much reason to stay at your current job.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Take the job. Think of it as a stepping point to something bigger and better. It's not like $14/hour w/ benefits is all that great, people at grocery stores can make that.

Besides you're young, climbing up in salary is a good thing to see on a resume.

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Don't you rely heavily on your insurance, since I recall you mentioning you have some sort of eye disease?

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
dont you have a lot of medical problems? i wouldnt give up you medical benefits if i were in your shoes as you'll probably have a hard time finding an insurance company that will accept you with all the pre exsisting conditions.

(i think i might be confusing you with another person on the board in regards to your sickenesses)

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: zimu
you can get your own insurance for like 30-40 bucks a month. check out ehealthinsurance.com. you'll make up the costs in like 3 hours of work.

haha, 30 bucks a month for insurance is probably not worth having

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Ameesh

haha, 30 bucks a month for insurance is probably not worth having

They cover only paper cuts and aspirin, that's it. :)

And the only covered Dr. works out of a van.

-geoff

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
I would get out if I were you, the pay is much better in the other position and the fact it is only 6mos is good because it forces you to find something else, wheras you could truly waste away where you are now unless of course your job is gone in two months...good luck but I would bail.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Kenazo
all you need is a fake Canadian ID. :) who needs Health insurance?
I have real Canadian ID, and no CAN health coverage right now, so I think that your trick ain't gonna work ;0

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Ameesh
dont you have a lot of medical problems? i wouldnt give up you medical benefits if i were in your shoes as you'll probably have a hard time finding an insurance company that will accept you with all the pre exsisting conditions.

(i think i might be confusing you with another person on the board in regards to your sickenesses)
Definitely something to think about. Private health insurance where you're covering the premiums yourself can be a car payment.

Ogg

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2003

That is defintely BS!:D

kermalou

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2001
haven't you been complaining lateley about your job, or is that the other 75% of ATOTers

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: Kenazo
all you need is a fake Canadian ID. :) who needs Health insurance?
I have real Canadian ID, and no CAN health coverage right now, so I think that your trick ain't gonna work ;0

Can't you just drive your dieing self to canada and get your free health care? Maybe you could call ahead and get reservation isn't a 24 hour wait about standard their?

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Ogg

Not really my health insurance thru college is about 400 dollars a year.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Spencer278
Originally posted by: Ogg

Not really my health insurance thru college is about 400 dollars a year.

Depending on the college, you can get decent benefits for cheap. It isn't the same in the real world, though; my insurance (were I to have it, I'm unfortunately uncovered now) would amount to $300/mo.

Rob