Would you ditch a ~$14 an hour job with semi-decent benefits for a $25 an hour 6 month contract?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

weezergirl

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
Why don't you just look for another job that's not a contract??? ie. a permanent job that pays higher and has benefits.
Think of it as the position you would be in 6 months from now if you took the higher paying job and they didn't extend the contract after 6 months.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Spencer278
Originally posted by: Ogg
Originally posted by: zimu
you can get your own insurance for like 30-40 bucks a month. check out ehealthinsurance.com. you'll make up the costs in like 3 hours of work.

That is defintely BS!:D

Not really my health insurance thru college is about 400 dollars a year.

$400/yr rate is probably a group rate thur your college, with no or little pre-exist condition limitations. An individual trying to get health insurance is totally different, most of the time, they want you to get an exam first, etc, and if you have any pre-exist condition, good luck finding someone to cover you at all and get it for under $50 A WEEK.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Spencer278
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: Kenazo
all you need is a fake Canadian ID. :) who needs Health insurance?
I have real Canadian ID, and no CAN health coverage right now, so I think that your trick ain't gonna work ;0

Can't you just drive your dieing self to canada and get your free health care? Maybe you could call ahead and get reservation isn't a 24 hour wait about standard their?
No, a 24 hour wait isn't standard if you're dying.

Once you leave CAN for a set amount of time you generally lose health coverage. I believe that there's a 30 day wait if I returned.

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
Depends on your health. With my health, I would. In fact, given the amount of debts I carry, I would have to. :eek:

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000

Take the 6 month @ $25 per hour contract because it is a better deal & because you don't like/think that you will have the same job in 2-3 months.

$14/hour = $2380 month - 35% tax = $1546 net/month

$25/hour = $4250 month - 35% tax = $2762 net/monht

At $25/hour with out benefit would mean that you will make the same amount of money as your current job if your health insurance is $1216 per month.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
ONLY if the old job will be going away anyway.....
Good Luck, I've been underEmployed for the last 9 mos.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
OK, update here...

Just seconds after I posted this my internet connection went down. :(

I ended up telling them to do it, I'm at home now updating a resume to send them.

They picked my resume off of Monster, I haven't touched it in forever.

The extra $1000 a month takehome would make a huge dent in my debt, hopefully I'll get it.

Viper GTS

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
OK, update here...

Just seconds after I posted this my internet connection went down. :(

I ended up telling them to do it, I'm at home now updating a resume to send them.

They picked my resume off of Monster, I haven't touched it in forever.

The extra $1000 a month takehome would make a huge dent in my debt, hopefully I'll get it.

Viper GTS

Good choice and that's assuming you don't charge an extra $1k/mo to offset that "dent".

When will you know?

:)

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
If your current position is going downhill, definitely you should consider the new position. You probably would end up networking there get a better job than your current one.

As for insurance, that can be easily acquired

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
What will you do after your 6 month contract is completed?

Is there a possibility that they'll like you(r knee pads) and you can get hired on permanent?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: RossMAN

Is there a possibility that they'll like you(r knee pads) and you can get hired on permanent?

Yes, there is a good possibility of full time work (which would include benefits).

Viper GTS

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

Yes, there is a good possibility of full time work (which would include benefits).

Viper GTS

That's good to hear. Hopefully you'll wow them and they'll hire you on perm.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I'd most likely go for it. There's the quandary regarding health care and how best to resolve/prioritize that, but on the face of it, it appears worthwhile.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I think the most serious question here to ask is.... will you be able to post on ATOT with your contract job? IMHO the extra pay and chance of advancement is just not worth it if you cannot post during work. I even asked made sure I would be able to post during work before I accepted my current position. Sure I only make $6/hour but I CAN post on ATOT from work.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: rudder
I think the most serious question here to ask is.... will you be able to post on ATOT with your contract job? IMHO the extra pay and chance of advancement is just not worth it if you cannot post during work. I even asked made sure I would be able to post during work before I accepted my current position. Sure I only make $6/hour but I CAN post on ATOT from work.

LOL

Good one :)

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: rudder

Since when did the government pay peanuts?

It is expected that you can post from work. Remember Al Gore was from Tenn.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Viper GTS

At the four month mark, find out will there be an extension? That is the point that you will need to start putting yourself back on the market and tightening your belt.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
For that much of an increase, I'd go...
and I wish I was in the same boat, cause I meant it... LOL