Would you buy a chinese car?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: DragonMasterAlex
If it's better than the gas-sucking pigmobiles the American "automobile" (if you can call them that) manufacturers are producing today, I'd buy one in a hot second. The sooner American car companies start to go belly up, the better.

Jason

Good to see you are hoping for hundreds of thousands of Americans to lose their jobs. But, you have a flag on your Korean car, so you're a patriot, right?

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
Originally posted by: DragonMasterAlex
If it's better than the gas-sucking pigmobiles the American "automobile" (if you can call them that) manufacturers are producing today, I'd buy one in a hot second. The sooner American car companies start to go belly up, the better.

Jason

you are a fvcking idiot

johnnqq

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
no, i would rather buy a different car.

and if i wanted to buy that type of car? i'd test drive it and read reviews to find out that a civic will probably be better :)

jerryjg

Banned
Jul 2, 2005
YUGO to the dealer. He says YUGO to the car. YUGO to buy the car and you own it. YUGO to the insurance company. They stick you an exhorboitanty amount to insure it. YUGO to work and it breaks down, no parts or reputibale sevice availabe. YUGO to fix the vehicle and it cannot be fixed. YUGO to sell the car and it has zero resale value. People,...Korean cars are as budget as it gets. And even they suck, and always will. Look, Japanese cars today even suck . Thats about as cheap as you wanna go.

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002
Originally posted by: PorBleemo

Heck no. Those look almost as safe as Geo Metros.

The Metro had a lower rate of driver deaths than either the Ford Explorer or Chevrolet Blazer.

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002
Originally posted by: jerryjg

People,...Korean cars are as budget as it gets. And even they suck, and always will. Look, Japanese cars today even suck . Thats about as cheap as you wanna go.

:roll:
Did you copy that from the 80's?

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
honestly, probably not.
even though korean cars are getting better (Hyundai) - just using them as an example btw, I still don't know if I'd own one yet.. Japanese/domestic for now, for me.

SilentZero

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
Simple answer: No

I won't for the same reason I won't buy another IBM (after being a long time customer), I refuse to put money into China's products anymore than I can help (too much crap comes from china as is that I can't regularly avoid buying). I will put my money in products from non-communist wack-job countries thank you very much.

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
I hope it has a rear window defroster...

...to keep your hands warm when you're pushing it. ;)

Mark

Lurknomore

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2005
if the gas tank doesn't rupture like the pintos, if it's fully loaded at $5000, AND comes included with those Chinese models;), THEN I'll consider it.

abc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
Originally posted by: EatSpam
I only buy cars built by Americans. Sorry.

This means I don't buy GM cars made in Mexico or Canada, but I would buy a Toyota made in Kentucky or a Honda made in Ohio.

Edit: I should add that if the Geely were to be made on American soil by American workers, I would certainly consider it.

i try to set that for myself, but American autoworkers for American auto companies are... unionized. A workers union had its place when there were no unions and the employer had the ball... but the last 30yrs that unions have existed and matured... it breeds a worker that sits back to clock in and clock out. It's another feeling entirely to know that you have to perform w/o some union shielding you.

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
you guys suck
5 pages so far and nobody has posted a link to the Chinese SUV crash test results?

Text

so basically my answer would be no way
wait until they can pass a crash test

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
communist countries make terrible cars, ala Yugo.

This car will be a sheetbox on wheels and won't last in this country. Mark my words.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: PG
you guys suck
5 pages so far and nobody has posted a link to the Chinese SUV crash test results?

Text

LOL on the same site the F150 and the Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Pasport both failed as bad so what really is your point? The latter two are high sellers as well especially the F150. Imagine if that truck is loaded in the rear what would be left of the cab of the truck :eek:

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Its ironic that the name Geely means good luck.

Is that what they say to you after you buy one and drive off of their dealership?

Aug 23, 2000
What really scares me is there are Chinese made motorcycles being sold in the US now. Vento's are being sold at a local Kawasaki dealer. They look like good crusiers but when you sit on one, the suspension damn near bottoms out. There was another brand I saw at some local dealer and it was a direct knock off of a Yamaha Virago 250. The sales guy even said that Virago parts would work on this bike. I sat on this one and started it up. I broke the throttle when I twisted it. The throttle and connectors to the handle bars is palstic!!! WTF. I then thumped on the handle bar and it was plastic too.

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: funboy42
Originally posted by: PG
you guys suck

Text

LOL on the same site the F150 and the Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Pasport both failed as bad so what really is your point? The latter two are high sellers as well especially the F150. Imagine if that truck is loaded in the rear what would be left of the cab of the truck :eek:

You sort of have a point, but those are old models. Ford and Isuzu have redesigned their vehicles and I know that the new F150 does very well in the tests now. I'm not sure on the Isuzu, but overall I wouldn't buy anything that did poorly in a crash test. I'm not going to single out something just because it's from China.

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Originally posted by: SilentZero
Simple answer: No

I won't for the same reason I won't buy another IBM (after being a long time customer), I refuse to put money into China's products anymore than I can help (too much crap comes from china as is that I can't regularly avoid buying). I will put my money in products from non-communist wack-job countries thank you very much.

I think maybe you might enjoy P&N better than this place.