Would you be OK with work camps for illegal immigrants?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Please educate me!

Didn't the American invaded scores of its neighbors and breaks all kind of international laws?

In that case you should serve in a labour camp in Afghanistan.

Of those "scores" of neighbors. . .were you referring to Mexico or Canada?

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
yeah than this is a fuckin stupid idea.

one of the only things gifted to us by being born human is free will.. which to me means being able to go wherever i choose on this Earth... and locking people up for trying to move to another place to better themselves is a crime, then we are stepping on free will...

sorry i'll pass.

Free will != Freedom

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
i just think it's stupid to try to lock people up for trying to better themselves... hippie i may be, but that's how i feel....

If you want to "better" yourself then a good way to start is by not going to illegal lengths to do so. Illegal immigrants don't seem to understand this concept. It's like saying, "I'm going to go back to school and get my degree." And then robbing a bank for the tuition.

Last edited:

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Or how about we just kick the damn illegals out of our country when they are found? Rather not have a bunch of parasites draining my tax money where it could be used elsewhere, like fixing the economy, the deficit, etc. Imagine if you replace the illegals with our currently unemployed U.S. citizens, unemployment would probably drop a good amount.

Mar 10, 2005
yes, we can start with illegal aliens and the homeless. after things settle down, we can expand the program to gypsies, homosexuals, political opposition and anyone deemed inconvenient.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
yes, we can start with illegal aliens and the homeless. after things settle down, we can expand the program to gypsies, homosexuals, political opposition and anyone deemed inconvenient.

Illegal aliens
Homeless
Gypsies
Homosexuals
Political opposition

One of these is not like the others. Can you guess which one?

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Illegal aliens
Homeless
Gypsies
Homosexuals
Political opposition

One of these is not like the others. Can you guess which one?

I like this game... I'm gonna pick Gypsies because they have magic!

On a serious note though, I don't understand why our government is okay with illegal aliens hiding out in our country, draining our resources when they contribute nothing while we have regular American citizens strapped for cash and out of jobs?

Nov 7, 2000
cannot kick them out, they will just come back. we can waste millions of dollars trying, but it wont do anything.

it blows my mind that we invade foreign countries because they are not american enough (no democracy), and then we have tons of people that want to be american already in our country working their asses off and we turn our backs on them.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
I like this game... I'm gonna pick Gypsies because they have magic!

:D

I think we need to more or less open our borders.

Establish a clear, obtainable path to citizenship that includes civic service requirements. Make it hard work but obtainable for anyone willing to put in the effort, and they're taxed on any income while here. Immigrants to the US have a very long history of being (generally) hard working entrepreneurs who in the long run make our country stronger. In the short term there's almost always been some level of turbulence while they assimilate but in the long term we're a stronger people for it.

Anyone not willing to work for it can expect penalties harsher than the current non-penalty setup of deportation.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
:D

I think we need to more or less open our borders.

Establish a clear, obtainable path to citizenship that includes civic service requirements. Make it hard work but obtainable for anyone willing to put in the effort, and they're taxed on any income while here. Immigrants to the US have a very long history of being (generally) hard working entrepreneurs who in the long run make our country stronger. In the short term there's almost always been some level of turbulence while they assimilate but in the long term we're a stronger people for it.

Anyone not willing to work for it can expect penalties harsher than the current non-penalty setup of deportation.

Open our borders?

Are you out of your fucking mind? Uncontrolled immigration would be a terrible thing for this country.

Within just a few years, we'd be up to our necks in uneducated immigrants looking to "better their lives," with the end result of dragging the US standard of living down to that of Mexico and other 3rd world nations.

Remember, Illegal Immigration IS a crime.
http://www.americanpatrol.com/REFERENCE/isacrime.html

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
We shouldn't be opening our borders, in fact we need to protect our borders even more and deport all the illegals out of our country. I'm all for immigrants coming to our country to try to better their lives and work hard, but they need to do it legally, like all the other legal immigrants who are bettering their lives.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
They should make a lot easier to become a paying citizen of this country than it is right now. I have a lot of friends from other countries and it took them YEARS and cost a fortune for some of them.

If people are so upset with illegals not paying their keep then don't make it so fucking convoluted to be a tax-paying citizen of this country.

It's not right that people come here illegally but it's hardly difficult to see that the system in place creates these problems.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Open our borders?

Are you out of your fucking mind? Uncontrolled immigration would be a terrible thing for this country.

Within just a few years, we'd be up to our necks in uneducated immigrants looking to "better their lives," with the end result of dragging the US standard of living down to that of Mexico and other 3rd world nations.

Remember, Illegal Immigration IS a crime.
http://www.americanpatrol.com/REFERENCE/isacrime.html

Apparently you failed US History.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
No. Slavery was abolished. Anybody who thinks this is a good idea should be really ashamed of themselves! This is a horrible and disgusting idea. This is certainly one of the worst ideas I'd ever heard in my life.

We should instead do things to encourage responsible immigration.
I would make an approach with these goals:
1.) Remove their excuse to illegally enter.
2.) Block them from taking advantage of the system.
3.) Try to remove some of their motivation to come illegally.

To do that, I'd do the following
1.) Increase immigration quotas.
2.) Citizenship should be a requirement for medicaid, medicare, welfare, food stamps benefits.
3.) In order to find what companies are paying people cash and not reporting it, many more audits of businesses should be performed. Any company caught cheating the IRS by paying employees in cash should be heavily fined or shut down.

I'm sure I haven't thought everything through ..... but it seems to make a lot more sense than making people into slaves.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Apparently you failed US History.

Apparently you don't live anywhere that has a large illegal immigrant population...they come here to improve their lot in life...yet bring their problems with them and turn neighborhoods and sections of cities into the same shitholes they left...:rolleyes:

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
They should make a lot easier to become a paying citizen of this country than it is right now. I have a lot of friends from other countries and it took them YEARS and cost a fortune for some of them.

If people are so upset with illegals not paying their keep then don't make it so fucking convoluted to be a tax-paying citizen of this country.

It's not right that people come here illegally but it's hardly difficult to see that the system in place creates these problems.

This I agree with. We were built on immigration. That is what made us what we are today. All countries should do the same, after all we are one Species, Human.

PepePeru

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2005
I think performing labor (say building a highway, pouring concrete for high speed rail lines, any kind of infrastructure project) for x amount of time should be a pathway to citizenship.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009

I agree. Immigration is clearly political; if I want that I'll click on P&N.

Why do we have to see these sorts of crap thread titles even when we're not in the mood for them?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Couple of things...

1. Slavery was abolished
2. How about meaningful fines/jail term for corperations/busineses that hire illegal immigrants? and not just a slap on the wrist fine either, make it hurt.

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com
I have no problem with things like that. I've been looking at the number of prisoners in this country and thinking about how much labor they could be doing.

I have no problem with prisoners of violent crimes doing something like forced labor but illegal immigrants? Prisoners owe a debt to society. I don't know about illegals. It sounds awfully similarly to slavery...

I think performing labor (say building a highway, pouring concrete for high speed rail lines, any kind of infrastructure project) for x amount of time should be a pathway to citizenship.

I like this better.