Would you avoid introducing someone with a low paying job to your coworkers/friends?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: senseamp
Why would you avoid it?
It's socially acceptable for women to major in phsychology.

heh, not to mention they pull down 300 bucks an hour later in life. They're like lawyers and doctors, only they don't have to work as hard. OP, if you have an ounce of sense, keep this one.

Good for her.

I'll be real nice for the OP. He's probably mid 20s thinking he's rolling in the dough, still comparing degrees and what not, yet to learn that it doesn't matter. His friends also believe this because they have their first taste at a decent income. Everyone of them will be millionaires by the time they are 28. Now some may be. But teacher, programmer, analysts isn't going to get OP or his friends there. Welcome to the real world and your entry level job.

After a few years nobody will ever care what you make, where you graduated from or what your degree is in. They will care much more about your character, your integrity and your ability to be a good man and a true friend. I hope you learn that.

Last bit of advice.....women and men judge people by the people they call friends (and not in a status kind of a way, but who they are). If I were that woman I would stay far away from OP and OP's friends. Congrats dude, you and your friends made her feel like crap.

While I agree with your advice, I am somewhat confused. In some of your past posts, you seemed to bash on engineers quite a bit. As an example:

here

you said "Engineers = grunts in the real world. Expendable and cheap."

If I was an engineer I would be more than a bit uncomfortable about meeting you if I knew you thought that about my profession.

It just seems somewhat contrary to what you have posted in this thread.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
wow, early 2007 ownage of the year candidate, and it's only the first week of january!

Read my mind :thumbsup:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
What is it with people and being retarded about stuff like this lately? There's that other guy who makes waaaay too much money for the community he lived in? Hey guys, pull your heads outta your ass.

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
It's the enviornment that this society makes mainfest that breeds people that have never 'worked' for 'real' wages that creates posts such as this.

Rogo

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Special K
While I agree with your advice, I am somewhat confused. In some of your past posts, you seemed to bash on engineers quite a bit. As an example:

here

If I was an engineer I would be more than a bit uncomfortable about meeting you if I knew you thought that about my profession.

Please understand that this is a somewhat anonymous board. I am only trying to help.

I would never judge somebody based on their profession. Just hoping to give any readers a helpful nudge in the right direction. Contacts > People skills > business skills > technical skills > degree > where you went to college.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: Special K

here

Please understand that this is a somewhat anonymous board. I am only trying to help.

I would never judge somebody based on their profession. Just hoping to give any readers a helpful nudge in the right direction. Contacts > People skills > business skills > technical skills > degree > where you went to college.
Well, everyone's different. Your list and priorities of how you judge someone is/maybe different than someone elses.