Would you avoid introducing someone with a low paying job to your coworkers/friends?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I beg to differ on some of the replies in here. 99% of you if your friends you have now went from where they are at now to something bad happening to where they had to move into a trailer and had to go on welfare to make ends meet would stop talking to them on the spot. I know from personal experance. Only one of my true friends stuck by my side and had friends and even family members change face. And I didnt go south because Im a lazy person, but was laid off at christmas time and other sh!t hapeneded at the same time that put us in the poor home, and now that Im no longer living in a trailer some of the family members on my wife's side find it ok to start talking to us again. When we went from a 7 bedroom home to a 2 bedroom trailer to catch up on bills and try to get out of the hole, how fast people stopped coming around, and if they did they stuck out for 10 minutes and split.

Everyone says no, but when it comes game time, how quickly the human being changes. Same thing a human being does when a person become deathly ill as well. Everyone says they will be by their side but 99% of them split or stop talking to the person dying. I know, watched all my family members friends disappear when they found out they had cancer. Some stuck around but for the most part their "best" friends just up and vanished. Friends that used to be at the house 24/7 till they got ill, then it was once a week, 2 times a month, once a month, then never, untill they were dead. Showed up for the funeral and thats the end of that.

But once your in that situation, as the op is in, you never know really which way your going to go, the op just feels on going the way 99% of you will go when it comes your time and it happens to you. I commend him for having the balls to bringing up his feelings though, its just normal for humans to be selective like that to try to fit in as a group.

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
Look at your computer spec! I would be embarrassed to introduce you to my guild with the computer you're using. Oh, the shame

"-------------------------
A8N-SLI Premium
Athlon64 3200+
1GB (2x512) Mushkin 400Mhz DDR
ATI Radeon AIW X600Pro PCIe
160GB Seagate SATA
Dell 1905FP 19" LCD "

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Wait... Do you mean since I have a CIS degree and my wife is "just" a beautician we shouldn't be together? I better call a divorce attorney first thing Monday morning :roll:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: vital
her degree is pretty much worthless.
She's just working as an assistant
I didn't ask how much she was making but I'm sure it's not much.
do you avoid introducing girls that aren't par w/ your peers

Pretty much indicates what kind of a jerk you are and how you view her. No wonder she feels insecure around you and your friends. I'm amazed she puts up with you at all.

I suggest you dump her so that she can find someone worthwhile to be with who appreciates her for who she is...not someone who thinks little of her for who she isn't.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
her degree is pretty much worthless.
She's just working as an assistant
I didn't ask how much she was making but I'm sure it's not much.
do you avoid introducing girls that aren't par w/ your peers

Pretty much indicates what kind of a jerk you are and how you view her. No wonder she feels insecure around you and your friends. I'm amazed she puts up with you at all.

I suggest you dump her so that she can find someone worthwhile to be with who appreciates her for who she is...not someone who thinks little of her for who she isn't.

I couldn't have said it better. In fact, I avoid introducing, or even being acquaintances with people like the OP.

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: funboy42
I beg to differ on some of the replies in here. 99% of you if your friends you have now went from where they are at now to something bad happening to where they had to move into a trailer and had to go on welfare to make ends meet would stop talking to them on the spot. I know from personal experance. Only one of my true friends stuck by my side and had friends and even family members change face. And I didnt go south because Im a lazy person, but was laid off at christmas time and other sh!t hapeneded at the same time that put us in the poor home, and now that Im no longer living in a trailer some of the family members on my wife's side find it ok to start talking to us again. When we went from a 7 bedroom home to a 2 bedroom trailer to catch up on bills and try to get out of the hole, how fast people stopped coming around, and if they did they stuck out for 10 minutes and split.

Everyone says no, but when it comes game time, how quickly the human being changes. Same thing a human being does when a person become deathly ill as well. Everyone says they will be by their side but 99% of them split or stop talking to the person dying. I know, watched all my family members friends disappear when they found out they had cancer. Some stuck around but for the most part their "best" friends just up and vanished. Friends that used to be at the house 24/7 till they got ill, then it was once a week, 2 times a month, once a month, then never, untill they were dead. Showed up for the funeral and thats the end of that.

But once your in that situation, as the op is in, you never know really which way your going to go, the op just feels on going the way 99% of you will go when it comes your time and it happens to you. I commend him for having the balls to bringing up his feelings though, its just normal for humans to be selective like that to try to fit in as a group.

I think what your commenting on is something that 99% of humans do in these types of situations. I think its part of the human psyche to want to remove themselves from tough times and rough situations because no one wants to "brought down" by someone else's misfortunes. However, I think this has little to do with he OP's girlfriend.

I guess I can understand how the whole, out of sight out of mind thing, is very true in regards to human psychology. I keep thinking of that scene in The Beach, where one of the people in the group have their leg severely injured from a shark attack and eventually he gets some disease and they make him lay in a tent outside the village area. It's cruel but there is nothing they can do but move on. I think its very hard for humans to immerse themselves in these types of situations for whatever reason and its rare to find someone who can.

Now I am not advocating this type of behavior, but I am just saying I have seen it before in various people I know.

KarmaPolice

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: ScottFern
Originally posted by: funboy42

I think what your commenting on is something that 99% of humans do in these types of situations. I think its part of the human psyche to want to remove themselves from tough times and rough situations because no one wants to "brought down" by someone else's misfortunes. However, I think this has little to do with he OP's girlfriend.

I guess I can understand how the whole, out of sight out of mind thing, is very true in regards to human psychology. I keep thinking of that scene in The Beach, where one of the people in the group have their leg severely injured from a shark attack and eventually he gets some disease and they make him lay in a tent outside the village area. It's cruel but there is nothing they can do but move on. I think its very hard for humans to immerse themselves in these types of situations for whatever reason and its rare to find someone who can.

Now I am not advocating this type of behavior, but I am just saying I have seen it before in various people I know.

I dont know, Ive had a few friends that have gone through rough times and Ive never left them. Heck ive even offered up my house for them to stay. The only friends that I have stop talking to are the ones that would be a bad influence and hang out with the wrong crowd. When some friends start to do coke and such, its about time to tell them shape up or i am not hanging out with you anymore, and guess which one they chose. Also one friend went insane..litteraly.

GoodToGo

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
You know its kinda interesting that dudes like him only get the chicks ;)

Anyways back on topic, you don't have to necessarily tell what she is doing in a direct manner if it ashames u sooo much. Just say that she is working in X clinic with doctors..blah blah. BTW if you feel your friends circle would be "out of range" for her, it would be a good idea to drop her. Of course it's not the right thing to do but if things are going to work out....

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Of course not. That is just silly.

On the other hand, I would think twice about introducing people that are from completely different backgrounds that I know will clash with each other, regardless of income. But, I wouldn't completely avoid it.

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005
I'm dating this chick who graduated w/ a Psychology degree but didn't go for her Masters so her degree is pretty much worthless. She's just working as an assistant at a clinic and it's not even related to her field. I didn't ask how much she was making but I'm sure it's not much. So do do you avoid introducing girls that aren't par w/ your peers or coworkers career-wise given the fact that they have a degree?

if you think this then you should DIAF

imported_vr6

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2001
i make min wage and my friends would never do that to me. you need to reconsider what friends are for.

Slackware

Banned
Jan 5, 2007
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Originally posted by: Slackware
I'm dating this chick who graduated w/ a Psychology degree but didn't go for her Masters so her degree is pretty much worthless. She's just working as an assistant at a clinic and it's not even related to her field. I didn't ask how much she was making but I'm sure it's not much. So do do you avoid introducing girls that aren't par w/ your peers or coworkers career-wise given the fact that they have a degree?

Let her go, a loser like you should not have a girl, EVER, if you are conscious about what your co workers are thinking about your girl, then you are totally fvcked in the head, a relationship is between who it is, the rest of the world can pretty much just accpt it or not, and you won't care...

That is, when you grow into a man, i doubt you ever will though.

Not that I disagree with you, but how would you know the OP would never grow into a man, with you just having joined the forums today? You could not possibly have observed him for long enough to know this, so:
WWYBYWB?

Sometimes all you need is one post, actually i have been browsing these forums for a fairly long time without joining but i can't say if ever read a post by VITAL before, either way, first impressions are usually true.

And yes i know what WWYBYWB means, i have browsed the forums for quite some time, believe it or not but not everyone just joins a forum you stumble into, i read other forums for five years and this for about as long and most i have joined but forgotten about, i decided to join this one yesterday.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Aimster
w t f?
NO

Indeed. Wtf is this this crappy question?!

I usually expect to earn more £££ anyway if she earns more hell thats f0cking great! If she doesn't earn who cares...

Koing

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
omfg! why the hell would you associate, let alone date, someone who made less money than you or your friends? wtf kind of loser are you?

:roll:

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Never, unless the person specifically asked not to be introduced...in which case I'd still do what I could to convince him/her otherwise.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Slackware

Let her go, a loser like you should not have a girl, EVER, if you are conscious about what your co workers are thinking about your girl, then you are totally fvcked in the head, a relationship is between who it is, the rest of the world can pretty much just accpt it or not, and you won't care...

That is, when you grow into a man, i doubt you ever will though.

This isn't about how I feel. I'm fine w/ what she does. I just dont want her to feel uncomfortable around other people because she lied about what she does.

Talk to her about it beforehand, then. And if necessary, let your friends know that it's a subject about which she feels somewhat self-conscious. If they're any kind of friends at all (and just decent people to begin with), they'll understand and leave it alone.