WORST MOVIE ENDINGS EVER.--SPOILERS INSIDE

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Elledan

Banned
Jul 24, 2000

<<

<< The fight between Boromir and the Orcs was superfluous as well. >>

Maybe, but if they hadn't shown it, 90% of the people would have left the theater thinking "What happened to him? Why didn't they show it?". Like I said, they had tp adapt the books to fit the big screen. And the fact is that majority of people who saw LOTR like action, so they had to be provided with action. I myself am sometimes frustrated when I watchStar Trek, where they only say "fire photon torpedoes!", "Direct hit, their shields have collapsed", wihtout never showing the action.
>>

Often they show the enemy vessel exploding.

You don't watch that much Star Trek, do you?

<< Oh god, I must sound like a 105% nerd :eek: >>

Don't worry, you're no match for me :p

<<

<<

<< Yes, it would be theoretically possible to make a movie that was 100% true to the books. Surely there are no technical reason not to do it. But the reason is money. No studio would be willing to finance a project like that. So therefore it's practically impossible. >>

Ah, practically impossible. Sounds a lot better than just 'impossible' :p
>>

Yes it is technically possible. But you'll never find a studio who could finance it. Even the current trilogy (with a fraction of costs that would be involved with "true" LOTR) drove New Line Cinema to brink of bankrupcy. Had LOTR Flopped, it would have destroyed New Line.
>>

Sad, but true :(

Luckily paper and ink is cheap, so books like LotR won't go away any time soon :)

spoma

Banned
Apr 23, 2001
Worst ending would have to be "A Perfect Storm". I mean they try so hard and everyone dies in the end. WTF?!

mztykal

How can you say perfect storm had the worst ending because you didn't like that they all died? I though the movie sucked but it was based on a true story. The reason they all died in the movie was because they all died in real life.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
To all the MORONS who think the ending of LOTR sucks:

It's been said before but it's 3 books, idiots! One story, 3 movies! Dumbass swine. :p OK now that that's off my chest.

<< I didn't see much of the above scene in the movie. >>

Elledan, yeah, something about books and movies being different forms of delivering a story. I seem to remember telling you this before :) If you have an idea on how to make the complete, every single detail, version of LOTR into a screenplay that works and won't go over the 3 hour limit per movie (almost every studio will not theatrically release a movie longer than that), then be my guest.
Did you honestly expect they could fit every detail inside of 9 hours? How long did it take you to read the 1000+ pages? And even if somehow it DID only take you 9 hours (heh yeah right) then you have to take into account all the times in the book where gross amounts of time pass...you have to show this somehow visually. All the dialogue alone would take up 20 hours of screen time.

Tell me honestly: did you think they could stay 100% true and not skip parts or make minor changes to make it flow better as a movie within a 9 hour period? If you did, I am really confused :p
Unless you can enjoy movies on their own merits, I suggest skipping the next two.

duke

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
Artificial Intelligence. That movie is SO depressing and the ending sucked.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
The Contender, I laughed in disbelief at the stupidity and unlikelyhood of the ending.

Shalmanese

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Bleh, I was dissapointed with the whole sappy cliched ending of LOTR, it just seemed to hammer the fact that it actually was only a movie after 3 hours of believing it was something else.

IMHO, it should have had a far snappier ending without the tieing loose ends crud, if you want to see loose ends crud, se TTT.

Elledan

Banned
Jul 24, 2000
kami, yes, I could change the current movie, making it stay both within the 3 hour-limit and the budget, while making it more like the book.

I would need at least 5-6 hours to make it resemble the story and around 10 hours to fully show what the story is about.

I've read the trilogy four times, which took about 12 hours for all three books (1300+ pages). 9 hours for both FotR & TTT and 4 hours for RotK.

Multiplying this by 5 (seems reasonable), the total screentime would come down to 60 hours.

Cutting back on details and speeding some parts up a bit, and the whole trilogy could fit in 25 hours or less.

Leaving some parts of it which do not play an important role in the story would cut down the screentime to near the 12 hours I spend reading LotR.

Elledan

Banned
Jul 24, 2000

<< Artificial Intelligence. That movie is SO depressing and the ending sucked. >>

I thought the whole movie was bad. I downloaded it to check what it was about and I had to skip whole parts of it, because I couldn't bear watching them.

So...cheesy....so...lame...so boring, deleting the movie from the HD was a feast =)

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001

<<

<< . I myself am sometimes frustrated when I watchStar Trek, where they only say "fire photon torpedoes!", "Direct hit, their shields have collapsed", wihtout never showing the action. >>

>>

:Q!! I watch ALOT of Star Trek! True, they do show exploding starships. But quite ofte they just show Worf/Tuvok/someone else pushing a button and say "Direct hit, we destroyed their weapons-array" (or something).

<<

>>

Well, that's a relief :D

<< Luckily paper and ink is cheap, so books like LotR won't go away any time soon :) >>

Aye

Elledan

Banned
Jul 24, 2000

<<

<<

<< . I myself am sometimes frustrated when I watchStar Trek, where they only say "fire photon torpedoes!", "Direct hit, their shields have collapsed", wihtout never showing the action. >>

>>

:Q!! I watch ALOT of Star Trek! True, they do show exploding starships. But quite ofte they just show Worf/Tuvok/someone else pushing a button and say "Direct hit, we destroyed their weapons-array" (or something).
>>

Any idea how tedious it would be to hear them say that after which you would see all of the explosions and stuff on the other ship? Not to mention that it would be rather boring.

Use your imagination, lad ;)

<<

<<

>>

Well, that's a relief :D
>>

:p

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Maybe you should be a screenplay writer than Elledan.
rolleye.gif

Oh, there's also another point. Every person who reads it gets different interpretations. This movie was one man's interpretation.

I've read LOTR six times now, and The Simarillion twice, Unfinished Tales once, and I'm halfway through the 12 volume History of Middle-earth. I'm a huge Tolkien fan but I don't let the movies change my view of the books. They are two seperate things to me. The movie happens to carry the spirit of LOTR I thought, without the excrutiating detail that would never work for cinema. :)

Elledan

Banned
Jul 24, 2000

<< Maybe you should be a screenplay writer than Elledan.
rolleye.gif
>>

Perhaps that's a good idea if everything else fails :p;)

<< Oh, there's also another point. Every person who reads it gets different interpretations. This movie was one man's interpretation. >>

Sad, isn't it?

<< I've read LOTR six times now, and The Simarillion twice, Unfinished Tales once, and I'm halfway through the 12 volume History of Middle-earth. I'm a huge Tolkien fan but I don't let the movies change my view of the books. They are two seperate things to me. The movie happens to carry the spirit of LOTR I thought, without the excrutiating detail that would never work for cinema. :) >>

IMHO, this movie has twisted and distorted the story into something hideous. I don't ever want to see it or think about it again. It was pretty much worthless.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Can we get off the LOTR thing now? Complaining about the ending of a movie based on a book or real life events (Pefect Storm) is just pointless.

My votes:

Fight Club: The dual personality twist was cool, but the standing arm in arm watching the world blow up is as corndog as they come...
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: Boo hoo hoo - I never feel sorry for someone who is the architect of their own destruction...
Blair Witch Project: <snore...>
Truman Show: Although it did not need a bad ending to suck.
The Abyss: Can't we all just get along?

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
How about the Bone Collector?

Compared to what all you guys are talking about it's not as bad, just REALLY annoying. The movie's got the whole serial killer suspense thing going on with the detectives going through these ELABORATE steps to scientifically track him down. The idea is to get you working and thinking with them. Naturally, they give you the usual hints of various characters throughout on whom it MIGHT be. But then in the end, the killer comes COMPLETELY out of left field with the loosest of tie-ins to some minor character in the overall plot. Call me softened by hollywood story lines, but if I'm going to watch a thriller that WANTS me to try to solve the mystery I ought to at least have SOME chance to figure it out. To quote Ebert's review of the film:

<< This movie's villain appears so arbitrarily he must have been a temp worker, in for the day. >>

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
the contact had a good ending. I don't see what was wrong with it.

The aliens send info to make a really big microwave and they put Jodie Foster in it.

whats the problem?

calpha

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
Oh my GOD.

The Bone Collector. Thank you for reminding me of that trashy piece of Ass of an ending.

SH!T, just thought of one more:

1. Far and Away
2. The Bone Collector
3. FACE OFF--> My puke muscle was already ready when Gina Gershon got kilt, so I could already see what was going to happen at the end (honest), but I didn't know they were going to do it with such flaming flambouyancy. I haven't watched Face-Off since because of that. And I really liked the rest of the movie.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000

<< Lord of the rings >>

Uhhh thats not exactly the end... got 6 more hours

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm curious why the two that hated Nine Gates hated it. There was a whole bunch of subtle stuff in that movie and either you missed it or didn't care for it to dislike the movie.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wag the dog

"O" (well the whole thing suxored)

And any movie that the guy gets a hot woman and then runs away (waterworld, new planet of the apes, .....)

Elledan

Banned
Jul 24, 2000

<< Monte Python and the Holy Grail. What's up with the ending???????????????? :confused: >>

Yeah, it wasn't a bad movie until the end. I was actually expecting something else to happen after what later turned out to be the ending.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<<

<<

<< I LOVED the ending of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon :)! >>

So what was she wishing for when she jumped? Why not hang out with the guy?
>>

You hate movies that force you to think? That don't draw you a picture and explain how everything is?
rolleye.gif
. I loved the ending of CTHD for those exact same reasons. The same reason why I love the ending of Bladerunner.

What was she wishing when she jumped? This is my intrepetation, feel free to disagree:

She was wishing to be again in the desert with the guy. The reason why she jumped was because she had caused so much suffereing to the people around her, causing even death of one of her friends. And she knew that she would never have peace, because her marriage was already arranged. She jumped to have peace within. If she could be back in the desert with the guy, none of the bad things that happened, would have happened.
>>

I don't hate CTHD at all! I even bought the DVD, I simply said above in the thread that I didn't get the ending. If she wished to be in the desert with the guy all she had to do was turn around because he was right there. The point of jumping off that that bridge was to wish for something as in the story. I have no idea what she could be wishing for except for a few people to return to life. and I don't think that's it.