Worst Cold-Flu Strains To Circulate In Decades?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I was sick a month or so ago, but perfectly fine now. (except for any potential mental issues, but if I have any of them, I'm not aware of them.)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I blame my boss's wife.

I'm feeling moderately under the weather, which in itself is pretty rare for me... my boss's wife was hella sick two weeks ago, my boss was sick last week, and two of my other coworkers were sick last week too.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
People may think your obsessed, but carry hand sanitizer with you .
It actually does help prevent catching something.

Walking through a store and picking up things then going out to your car and scratching your nose is all it takes.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Modelworks

Walking through a store and picking up things then going out to your car and scratching your nose is all it takes.

give me a break, not to mention most winters it is the flu people get and guess what? Virii live on regardless of your hand sanitizer. I havent been sick in 3 years and I have never even taken an antibiotic in my life! Sanitization is very important but there is levels that just take it too far.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hey, I have no reason to believe that I'm infected, but who knows? I live alone, which helps. I generally wash my hands first thing when I get home. I haven't been sick in over a year and have been healthy all fall/winter in spite of cold temperatures and a cold house (no central heating). I work out around 4 times a week, and that keeps my resistance up. Eat decently, try to get enough sleep and generally do. Get a flu shot every year.

Wash your hands!

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004

the more sanitized one becomes, the more susceptible to disease one becomes, hence you are causing your own problems.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I'd think more important than hand sanitizer would just be obsessively washing your hands before you handle any food that you eat and keeping them nowhere near your face.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
like half of my classmates are sick. i am not, because my immune system = win :cool:

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: alien42

the more sanitized one becomes, the more susceptible to disease one becomes, hence you are causing your own problems.

Then by your thinking we should all go out hugging people with the flu.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: SlickSnake
CDC Graph on Infectious Disease Progress

I keep thinking I'm going to get over this flu, HAH!

I have had a cough, sinus congestion, chest congestion and fever from 100-104 or greater for nearly a week! I live in a widespread area, too. believe me, it is! And my roommate gave it to me, and has had it longer than I have! :p

I think I must have this RSV strain, and I think they are misinformed about how easily it spreads and how long it lingers.

RSV Cases The Highest In A Decade!

Note the tidbit about NO BUILT UP IMMUNITY RESPONSE. Just wait until the rest of you get it too!

The 4 Horsemen Of The Apocalypse Are Looking For YOU! Unless You Are Already One Of Them...

Find out what horseman of the Apocalypse you most represent!

This topic is sort of a continuation of THIS TOPIC.
'
Its the same crap every year. Doom and gloom, worst year on record to be sick, yadda yadda yadda.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: jandrews

give me a break, not to mention most winters it is the flu people get and guess what? Virii live on regardless of your hand sanitizer. I havent been sick in 3 years and I have never even taken an antibiotic in my life! Sanitization is very important but there is levels that just take it too far.

It takes two secs to wash your hands.
You haven't been sick in 3 year ? Good for you, but its irrelevant to the discussion.
Just because you haven't doesn't mean someone else who is more succeptible shouldn't be more careful.

And the ones I use are 75% alcohol and they do kill viruses.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007

Yeah, he is crazy. The major factors in us being healthy and living longer is that stuff is sanatized before it gets to us at some point and sewage is properly disposed of (can you imagine if you had those troughs right out your window where you dump your crap?). Stuff like some germs on your orange isnt going to be that big of a factor though.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
no and i think my flu shot helped me stay healthy so far (knock on wood)

/dons anti-flu shot flamer suit

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: jandrews

You haven't been sick in 3 year ? Good for you, but its irrelevant to the discussion.
Just because you haven't doesn't mean someone else who is more succeptible shouldn't be more careful.
Yeah, we have too many nancy boys, last thing we need is a bunch of men walking around all day lathering on hand sanitizer everywhere they go. It is not irrevelant, it is completely relevant to this discussion, what else am I supposed to say? I have data that shows 90% of people that dont use hand sanitizer are sick less than those that do?? I just think there is a lot of stuff that is more in peoples heads and the way they market things like hand sanitizer is by praying on peoples weaknesses and fears claiming it does a lot more good than it really does.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

And the ones I use are 75% alcohol and they do kill viruses.

It takes more than 2 seconds. More like 1/2 a minute. I do it when I get home from the gym, whatever. If I didn't, I'm sure I'd get sick much more often than I do. I hate getting sick. I don't mess with the alcohol, except I do swab my armpits with alcohol after I shower rather than use an antiperspirant. I think it kills bacteria, leaves no trace.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004

no, that would be the other extreme and just as bad.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
We've had several people sick with probably the same type of cold since around December. It's kind of finally making its way out of the office.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Since I got kids under the age of 2, I get free flu shots every year, so does my wife, our two kids, and the grandparents. No flu for me!

jmcoreymv

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I almost never get sick, and recently there's been a lot of people at work out sick. I also tend to naturally touch my face a lot with my hands...I guess I've just been really lucky.

5to1baby1in5

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2001
I have kids, and have been sick the last 10 years straight.

OK, maybe a slight exageration... But when the Martians invade, I should be nominated to give them a big wet sloppy kiss.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Casawi
No but I just got over a cold. I took dayquil and nyquil heavily ... was over it in 4-5 days.

and you would have been over in 4-5 days without taking those meds.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: funkymatt
still coughing up lung butter from my sickness 2 weeks ago.

I'm FINALLY starting to feel like I'm getting over this lung-fungus, but I still cough up coffee-cups full of lung butter several times every day...people sure are rude too...they look at me like hawking and spitting that stuff up in public is wrong...:roll:

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Ok, here is the update you were all waiting for! :p

I'm pestilence, btw! :roll:

I actually have been sick with the sniffles a few times in the last 2 months, but it was nothing severe like this is. Me and the roommate went to the doctor and we both had sinus infections along with the lingering constant cough crud and phlem factory. Now we are on antibiotics to clear up the infections, but the worst part is trying to sleep at night and having coughing fits. I wonder if this will help trim my waistline? My gut sure hurts like I have been doing exercises.

I live in a widespread outbreak area, and believe me, it is. The doctor said she had seen a lot more severe cases than usual on this flu strain.

Just wait till the bird flu virus mutates and is more easily passed. Even ebola is a virus!

If it lingers, just go to a doctor because it will cause a secondary infection you will not shake without an antibiotic. :(

And tamiflu might help stop the rna from replicating in the virus, but you need to take it like 48 hours after you get symptoms to be effective.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Update!

The 2 week antibiotic regime worked and knocked out the secondary infection. I felt OK for about a week after I stopped taking it. Then a sore throat kicked in. Now, a week later I keep thinking I will shake it, but no dice. Weird part is, even the roomate now has a sore throat after taking his antibiotics. I don't seem to have any other symptoms, like fever or anything.

Gawd, I hate the thought of going to the doctor again. :(

And I noticed almost the entire US is now on widespread on the outbreaks off the CDC site, MUHAHAHA! Feel my pain! :evil: