World U.S. Navy Issues Alcohol Ban on Sailors in Japan

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
OMG the HORROR!!!!!

It's evident the you have never been drinking with Canadian or British infrantry... or been around a Australian F-111 squadron.

They make our guys look like pikers. Seen many a trashed UK sailors in the bars at Kings Bay during an OP.

Edit: They still get rum or beer rations on deployed ships to this day.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
OMG the HORROR!!!!!

It's evident the you have never been drinking with Canadian or British infrantry... or been around a Australian F-111 squadron.

Well I ain't in the military so if they are cool with it then I guess I don't give a fuck but I'm not sure I'd be all that comfortable around a guy drunk as shit who has access to a M249 or hand grenades. I ain't there though so if they are cool with it so be it.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Wasn't an active duty military member. It was a former Marine that was living in Japan.

This Yahoo article is about the drunk driving charges against a female sailor.
It doesn't mention the former Marine charged last month for murder and rape.
The Japanese were already protesting the 2 corpsman arrested 2 months ago for another rape and all the other rapes and murders

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I'm sure you prior and presently in-service guys recognize/remember this little quote:

"Beatings will continue until morale improves."

Just something I remembered from my distant past while in uniform. ;)

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I think they need a updated, more appropriate slogan with just a tad more cowbell.

"Get drunk, we take your wubbie."

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
No, it didnt.

That may or may not be possibly relevant, but where does he live again?

Oh boy, yes it did. We went from talking about a behavior problem in the modern US military to talking about how we mistreated the native Americans?

That's not thread drift. That's a right fucking turn so hard that most folks will get whiplash.

You've got a culture in Japan that has an insanely low crime rate compared to a culture in the US where drunk crimes are fairly common, and sex crimes are certainly not unheard. We hardly need to drag things that happened 200 years ago into the fucking mix. Unless you're a bleeding heart that can't step away from our past indiscretions and deal with the issue at hand.

Their behavior is a crime here in the US as well. Allow extradition. Let the Japanese handle these assholes.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Oh boy, yes it did. We went from talking about a behavior problem in the modern US military to talking about how we mistreat the native Americans?

That's not thread drift. That's a right fucking turn so hard that most folks will get whiplash.

You've got a culture in Japan that has an insanely low crime rate compared to a culture in the US where drunk crimes are fairly common, and sex crimes are certainly not unheard. We hardly need to drag things that are happening today into the fucking mix. Unless you're a bleeding heart that can't step away from our past indiscretions and deal with the issue at hand.

Their behavior is a crime here in the US as well. Allow extradition. Let the Japanese handle these assholes.

FTFY