World Cup 2022

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You shouldn't laugh at other people's misfortune but...

Gary Lineker simplifies it even further in his famous quote: ‘Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win’.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
What a wild day.

2w3dmmoloc3a1.png

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I was hoping Germany would get in. Not for Kanye reasons like that's where the Nazis were from. But because they were at the forefront of talking shit about FIFA and the bullshit of Qatar the last few weeks.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
gotta give it up to Japan..beat Germany and Spain
They sure didn't look up to it in the first half vs. Spain. They couldn't possess the ball, period. Came out at beginning of 2nd half with 2 subs and put 2 past the goalkeeper in ~ 5 minutes and held Spain off for the rest of the match. Odd fact was Japan was leading the group but if Spain had scored for the rest of the match and Japan couldn't counter, Japan was going home, at least by the end, considering the status of the Germany vs. Costa Rica match concurrently being played. Made for a tense finish. Spain is in anyway.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yep, I paused during highlights and it looked in still. Goal was legit.
On Fox they had IIRC a single angle and it looked out but VAR had, I think, 4 different angles, which they never showed us. We only had the nutty commentators and that one look. I was sure it was a reversal, but it wasn't. I'm glad for Japan. Spain looked all but cocky in the first half. They were almost eliminated. Their goal in the first period was good, but too easy.

Reactions: Xcobra

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
I was actually thinking before the matches that Spain might "strategize". Especially when after the 1st half Germany was leading, it's like "ok, guys, the plan to lose to Japan is a go, I repeat, it's a go".
But when Costa Rica turned the game, as their win was the only thing that could screw Spain (aside from another gigantic Costa Rican loss), I'd think there was some panicking. It would've been hilarious if Costa Rica and Japan went through.

I say strategize because the path to the semifinal for the group winner is through Croatia and then probably Brazil. For the runner up it's Morocco and then probably Portugal or maybe Switzerland/Serbia.
If I had the option, I know what I would choose lol. Japan is happy to go to round 16, Spain's appetites are higher.

Too bad for Denmark, they've had a good team the last couple years: lost in round 16 after penalties in the last WC, semifinalist in the last Euro, cruised through the qualifiers, in the League of Nations they had a strong start but dropped two games to Croatia and finished second by 1pt, and ahead of France (not an easy group with Fra and Cro...). With Australia and Tunisia, I didn't expect problems for them to get out of group stage.

Belgium vs Cro wasn't some game to remember, but it was more entertaining than the result would suggest (0:0). Croatia looked slightly better in the first 60 mins, and Belgium looked more dangerous in the last 30 mins. Basically during the time Lukaku was in, it's unfortunate that he was injured and didn't play much. Belgium is a great team with Lukaku, E. Hazard in good shape and De Bruyne. What we've learned is that just De Bruyne isn't enough.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I was actually thinking before the matches that Spain might "strategize". Especially when after the 1st half Germany was leading, it's like "ok, guys, the plan to lose to Japan is a go, I repeat, it's a go".
But when Costa Rica turned the game, as their win was the only thing that could screw Spain (aside from another gigantic Costa Rican loss), I'd think there was some panicking. It would've been hilarious if Costa Rica and Japan went through.

I say strategize because the path to the semifinal for the group winner is through Croatia and then probably Brazil. For the runner up it's Morocco and then probably Portugal or maybe Switzerland/Serbia.
If I had the option, I know what I would choose lol. Japan is happy to go to round 16, Spain's appetites are higher.

Too bad for Denmark, they've had a good team the last couple years: lost in round 16 after penalties in the last WC, semifinalist in the last Euro, cruised through the qualifiers, in the League of Nations they had a strong start but dropped two games to Croatia and finished second by 1pt, and ahead of France (not an easy group with Fra and Cro...). With Australia and Tunisia, I didn't expect problems for them to get out of group stage.

Belgium vs Cro wasn't some game to remember, but it was more entertaining than the result would suggest (0:0). Croatia looked slightly better in the first 60 mins, and Belgium looked more dangerous in the last 30 mins. Basically during the time Lukaku was in, it's unfortunate that he was injured and didn't play much. Belgium is a great team with Lukaku, E. Hazard in good shape and De Bruyne. What we've learned is that just De Bruyne isn't enough.

I thought there is an embargo on information of the other game?

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
I thought there is an embargo on information of the other game?

You think nobody on the teams staff is going to have a cellphone with live scores? Embargo's worked pre-internet, not anymore.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You think nobody on the teams staff is going to have a cellphone with live scores? Embargo's worked pre-internet, not anymore.

cell signal blocker is a thing. same with wifi. They just ban electronics for teams. But I guess that won't stop someone hand signalling from the crowd.

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
Yeah, you'd have to ban phones/internet devices for the whole stadium. Even walkie-talkie to someone outside of the stadium is an option.
I dont think they even try, I think I remember some coach's interviews after the games and it was clear they knew from the comments. And even players, like when Mexico won, they knew at the final whistle that they were out despite winning, because of the other game's result.

They're played at the same time, that's about what they can do 20 years ago they didnt even have that.

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008

"Things got even worse for Spain when Costa Rica took a surprise lead over Germany moments later, because at that stage they were heading out.
The big screens at Khalifa International Stadium showed the updated group table, to the disbelief of the Spain supporters, and pretty much everyone else here too."

So they even show it on big screens.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Japan beat Spain with just 17.7% possession, the lowest figure 𝙀𝙑𝙀𝙍 recorded in World Cup history. :oops:

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski